• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS' Reaction to the AICN Review

channe

Regular
JMS\' Reaction to the AICN Review

THIS is why we still have faith in the Great Maker (from the moderated newsgroup this morning):

--

Let's see...a reviewer who goes under the handle Captain Christopher Pike (a
classic Star Trek character), compares everything in B5 to Star Trek, and is
subbing for another so-called reviewer called Herc who is a bigtime B5 hater
from way back...AND he posts a negative "review" of B5: Rangers?

I'm shocked...shocked, I tell you.

Lemme give you a heads-up here...there is a qualitative difference between an
actual reviewer and the kind of jumped up fanboy who posts a message on this
kind of system specifically for the purpose of trashing something out of the
usual fanboy feud shit we've seen over the last seven years. (And then, from
what I've heard, pops on over to b5lr.com to get reactions because he wants to
get his jollies.)

This is not a review. It's not even close to a review, and this kind of crap
is what totally destroys and has destroyed any hope of legitimacy that aicn
has, which is why just about everybody in the business now totally writes them
off. It started off as a news site, now it's a fanboy site with clearly
distinguished biases.

They don't like that I say this? Tough. It's my review of their performance.

Look, how about we actually *see* the thing? I think it may be one of the best
things B5 we've ever done. WB had NO NOTES on the thing. SFC had ONE note, to
make one word (entil'zha) a bit louder because it's kind of a plot point. Both
places referred to it as stunning and beautiful and maybe our best work to date.

So for some cretin as this to come out and try to torpedo something out of the
same crap feud that's been out there for seven years, and for people like you
to actually *fall* for this crap and post things like....

>If this telefilm tanks, I'd honestly be open to the idea of someone else
>taking over the universe from Joe.

...demonstrates a degree of credulity bordering on the mind-boggling.

This happens every time we do anything B5 related, it happened every season of
the show ("We've seen scripts for season three and it's going to be just
action, no more character stuff") and you'd think sooner or later people would
learn not to fall for the okeydoke especially when a piece like this is SO
obviously a plant by someone with an anti-B5 bias (a prior aicn review that
slipped in, from someone WITHOUT any B5 bias, LOVED the film and this was before the EFX were even in the damned thing).

Jesus, Jonathan, get a grip and use a little critical thinking once in a
while....

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)
--

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Re: JMS\' Reaction to the AICN Review

You tell 'em, JMS!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Dum-de-dum-de-dum

I know where I will be when LoTR comes out. Glued to the tele with such force it'll take a F5 tornado to rip me off my seat.

*whistling Dixie*

*cackle*

Okay, I had my penultimate jolly of the day.
laugh.gif

------------------
Bashir: Assuming you're not a spy.
Garak: Assuming.
Bashir: Then maybe you're an outcast.
Garak: Or maybe I'm an outcast spy.
Bashir: How could you be both?
Garak: I never said I was either.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
You tell 'em, JMS!
smile.gif

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that!

Verifies my suspicions.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

One thing I would like you to note is that JMS is usually spot-on with critiques of his own work. Writers usually know when they've written bullcrap. And, although networks can be extra-flattering when it's not deserved, I want to take SFC and Warners at their word that it's "stunning and beautiful and maybe our best work to date." From the trailer, I see that this could very well be true. Hell, the people involved with the project, some of which post right here, are so proud of their work that they're hanging around after it's been wrapped for a few months, and they've all been paid. That's a lot more than many other projects in Hollywood.

That's more of a sign, I think, than a guy we don't even know, using a bad pseudonym, violating the statutes of his workplace, posting a badly-written piece of drivel, and then, unlike a real reviewer whining that people didn't like it. I'm a professional writer, folks - I work with professionals - and this guy CERTAINLY doesn't act like them…

So, I'm gonna raise my morning cup of coffee to Rangers and to JMS and to everyone involved, and thank them for daring to create.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy:
Dum-de-dum-de-dum

I know where I will be when LoTR comes out. Glued to the tele with such force it'll take a F5 tornado to rip me off my seat.

*whistling Dixie*

*cackle*

Okay, I had my penultimate jolly of the day.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just hope Sci-Fi runs a few encores, some on different nights, incase the power goes out, or something.

The SVHS will be primed and ready with a Fuji H471S Master ST-120.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

That message from JMS was entertaining. I love how he's so blunt and straight forward, no; no prisoners, no bullshit. I love it. Reminds me of someone I know...

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> JMS:
They don't like that I say this? Tough. It's my review of their performance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man that gave me a good laugh... I feel alot better now.
smile.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."

Thank the great maker. I was beginning to think that we were so desperate for B5LR, we'd listen to anyone who would speak us.
Thanks JMS!

------------------
"Is there some kind of dumb alien quote book you guys use?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
One thing I would like you to note is that JMS is usually spot-on with critiques of his own work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Now now... We should remember that this is not a critique. It's a knee-jerk reaction to someone thoroughly trashing something he's pretty damn proud of. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but it should be seen in the light of what it is.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Galahad walks up to Captain Pike. "I arrest thee for crimes against the values of science fiction and fair play, you are hereby reduced to the rank of 2nd Technician Arnold J Rimmer!"

Galahad rips Captain Pike's pips off his shoulders, and gives them to Channe for being even minded!

Daniel 5:27 "TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting."

Have you stood in the fury of the dragon's breath and not yielded to it's wrath? Can you cradle the majesty of the stars and planets in the hollow of your hand? Do you have the soul of a lion, the spirit of the eagle, to rise above every challenge from the schemes of men or wiles of the Devil? Do you?

No?

Then follow!

I just made that up for a laugh!
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

[This message has been edited by Galahad (edited October 18, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
One thing I would like you to note is that JMS is usually spot-on with critiques of his own work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it comes to the individual episodes, he certainly is willing to 'fess up when he thinks a script is subpar. But as I recall, this is not the case for the TV movies. Before each one of them came out, he said it was good. And that includes River of Souls.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Now now... We should remember that this is not a critique. It's a knee-jerk reaction to someone thoroughly trashing something he's pretty damn proud of. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but it should be seen in the light of what it is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops! Channe uses the wrong word.

See below for more conceding-of-points
smile.gif

------------------
--

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
When it comes to the individual episodes, he certainly is willing to 'fess up when he thinks a script is subpar. But as I recall, this is not the case for the TV movies. Before each one of them came out, he said it was good. And that includes River of Souls.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is where, actually, I might be not a good person to comment. The episodes, yes - he's always said when he thinks they stink.

I haven't seen RoS, I only saw half of Thirdspace, I've seen In The Beginning twice, The Gathering twice. Oh, yeah, and A Call to Arms once.

I thought A Call to Arms, with the exception of the Drakh battle, was fairly good. In The Beginning was great fun. Thirdspace - well, I wish I hadn't wasted an hour, and the same goes with The Gathering.

I have no *desire* to see River of Souls, from what I've heard of it. I will, if it rolls around Sci-Fi Channel again.

So, I'll concede this point to you, Chris.

------------------
--

Galahad -

I've been called many things, but "even-minded" is a new one. Thanks
smile.gif

------------------
--

THIS is why we still have faith in the Great Maker (from the moderated newsgroup this morning):

--

Let's see...a reviewer who goes under the handle Captain Christopher Pike (a
classic Star Trek character), compares everything in B5 to Star Trek, and is
subbing for another so-called reviewer called Herc who is a bigtime B5 hater
from way back...AND he posts a negative "review" of B5: Rangers?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, the blind irony of this statement is quite beautiful, and quite damning.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tobias Clutch:
You know, the blind irony of this statement is quite beautiful, and quite damning.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean channe's statement or JMS's statement?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
Do you mean channe's statement or JMS's statement?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I highlighted JMS' statement...

------------------

If you meant me, the statement I made was to the entirety of JMS' rather blunt, faith-in-his-creation rebuttal, which I found, if harsh, rather helpful, not just that.

------------------
--

But as I recall, this is not the case for the TV movies. Before each one of them came out, he said it was good. And that includes River of Souls.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The statement by jms I'm remembering most clearly about River of Slouls is that he noted he was surprised that A Call to Arms turned out to be a better movie.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Back