• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Treme

GKarsEye

Regular
Sunady April 11th premieres the new drama Treme on HBO by The Wire creator David Simon. It's about a New Orleans neighborhood right after Katrina.

I got my HBO subscription back this morning just for this.
Pilot episode will be 80 minutes, and there will be 10 episodes this season. Has the same actor that was Bunk in The Wire as a musician.

i read about this getting made a while back when i was in the dentist, but didn't actually think i'd ever see it get made (i was reading an interview with David Simon and he said he was thinking about this.). it might not be fantastic though, i had severe difficulty getting on with The Corner simply because it was so fucking bleak.

I am looking forward to this series. Unfortunately, I don't have HBO anymore so I will have to go to friends' houses to watch it. It's also too bad that David Mills passed away last week. He was a key writer for The Wire as well as Simon's other shows and projects.

Thanks for the tip, I saw it this evening and it was definitely worth a watch. The characters seemed familiar to me immediatly. No warm-up period to build up background and bemoan bad stories in the meantime in this series, from what I could see.

I will check out the second episode when it airs, that's for certain. I was unhappy when "The No. One Ladies Detective Agency" ended up only being a one-shop mini. This will give me something on HBO to try out on a weekly basis again.

[Spoilers, but minor ones, I think:]
The scene of the robbing of the music store was hilarious to me, as it reminded me completely of a friend of mine. He'd end up getting caught looking for the out of print jazz. :LOL:

The, uh, feathered orange Mardi-Gra (priest?) outfit was. TOTALLY HILARIOUS! Not to mention dlightful to anyone who likes the over-the-top dramatic effect. Queens of San Francisco, you've been warned: this was deliciously too much. :)

It was pretty cool, and totally not what I expected, i figured it would be pretty depressing, but i get the feeling it's going to be about how you can't destroy the human spirit.

The, uh, feathered orange Mardi-Gra (priest?) outfit was. TOTALLY HILARIOUS! Not to mention dlightful to anyone who likes the over-the-top dramatic effect. Queens of San Francisco, you've been warned: this was deliciously too much.

That's a black Indian chief, key figure in parades and a tradition that goes back a while. Most historians credit it's origin to an alliance between local native Americans and African-African Americans during slavery.

The point of the scene was that an image that is odd to outsiders holds vast emotional and cultural import to the locals. It's important to realize that we're looking at the most dedicated residents of the neighborhood, as most people had not yet moved back to the city so soon after the hurricane.

So as expected I absolutely loved this. Hypatia's observation about how there is no background explicitly given, it just drops you in the middle of the story, is accurate, and a David Simon staple (I know a few people that were turned off by The Wire because they didn't immediately pick up what was going on). Local terminology and slang and personalities are thrown at you and you just have to absorb the atmosphere and the context. This allows for a more immersive dramatic experience. After all, when you first meet someone, they don't say "hi, this is how my accent and slang work..."

Fans of The Wire get a nice lead-in with the trombone player, played by Bunk from The Wire, and he's just awesome.

The only two things I thought were a bit much:
1. The D.J.- it's like a parody of the romanticized rebel DJs of yore. While I giggled at him blasting (New Orlean native) Mystikal from his apt to deliberately annoy his neighbors ("shake ya ass, show me watch ya workin with"), I didn't get the point. The part about the pledge drive play list was pretty realistic- I've noticed this on my local jazz station, too (one of only 12 full-time jazz stations in the country, last I checked).

2. The evil British journalist telling Goodman's character they shouldn't even bother to rebuild. Yes, there was that type of talk at the time (still is), but I can't imagine anyone actually going there and saying it like that, even an evil Brit.

But everything else was perfect.

Elvis Costello's cameo was nice. "I taught him everything he knows.. about Keynesian economics."
Kermit, the trumpet player, is a real musician. And he had the best line, after being accused of only wanting to "get high, play some trumpet and BBQ all day."
"That'll work."

I wonder how they film those music scenes when they mix real musicians and actors. I mean I guess they just teach the actor enough of the movements to make it look real enough and then overdub the playing by a real musician later or something.

The woman that played the trombone player's ex-wife should be recognizable to any fan of Simon's work- she starred in The Corner. She was amazing in that. so I look forward to her in future episodes here, especially since they gave her the earliest serious dramatic issue to deal with (the possibly dead brother).

Loved Goodman just continuing to read his paper and laughing when his wife had her tantrum. Otherwise I'm a bit iffy on that whole family, but we'll see how it goes.

But maybe the real star of the show is the music. God, so much of it.... it was so great. This guy goes into pretty good:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2010/04/12/treme-recap-theme-song/

1. The D.J.- it's like a parody of the romanticized rebel DJs of yore. While I giggled at him blasting (New Orlean native) Mystikal from his apt to deliberately annoy his neighbors ("shake ya ass, show me watch ya workin with"), I didn't get the point. The part about the pledge drive play list was pretty realistic- I've noticed this on my local jazz station, too (one of only 12 full-time jazz stations in the country, last I checked).

my neighbour does that and i fucking hate her for it, seriously i want only bad things to happen to her in life, thus i hate that DJ, fuck him.

my neighbour does that and i fucking hate her for it, seriously i want only bad things to happen to her in life, thus i hate that DJ, fuck him.

I been thinking about that, and with most such things, it could be chalked up to "we don't know what went on between these people before."

Remember right after the hurricane, there was a sentiment- not often said out loud, but it leaked out here and there- about, as Wolf Blitzer put it, "you see these victims, and they're so poor, so black." And a lot of people were thinking "why do these poor people have to live in this stupid city below sea level and now the rest of us have to build levees and save their asses." Also, like any big city, there's this cultural divide between the "nice" areas and the "not so nice" areas, and often they have different racial majorities and of course economic backgrounds.

In other words, the DJ might have just been stickin' it to the nose-in-the-air fancy-pants types with some very loud, very black hippity-hop music. Of course that begs the question of how he's living there. But the more important thing is that one of the main themes of this show is the "real" New Orleans vs the one outsiders know, and the tragedy of the hurricane makes those who believe in the "real" New Orleans cling to their music, their costumes, their food, their rituals, etc. It makes John Goodman throw a mic in the river, it makes the chief dance alone in his costume, it makes intensifies the DJ's frustrating with the pledge-drive playlist and annoy his "not real" neighbors.

For the record, I love New Orleans music, I love rap, but I don't like Mystikal. :)

In any case, that's not even the worst thing he did. Opening the wine without permission- man, that shit ain't right.

It was said that the costumed man was a priest, I should have remembered that. It was noticeable that he commanded some respect, even as they asked if there would even be a parade that year.

The style of offering up people and the situations without background unnerved me a bit, I admit. I even checked to see which episode it was and confirmed it was (a repeat?) of the premier. That's when I realized you just take it in and hope to see it again soon to pick up more.

Some parts seemed to scream "this is the moral part here". But not as much as I expected, actually.

Only two episodes have aired and it's already guaranteed a second season? That's impressive. :)

I recoreded by haven't watched the second episode yet, might try tonight or tomorrow. Do you know offhand how many episodes will make up a season?

I've seen last Sunday's episode finally.

The plot is sometimes extremely predictable. I had a real groan moment when the whole DJ/car scene began. I mean, I'm not exactly street-wise, and I knew exactly what that was about the moment the scene began.

In fact, all of the D.J's plots seem rather weak.

I will say that's not enough to make me turn away from the show. I just wish the writing would get a bit more... nontraditional? In his arc, at least. And the social worker's findings are getting a little predictable, too. But perhaps that's part of the mood: the exhausting plodding through details on her search.

The characters really make the show. the Chief is a real delight, he seems the be gradually becoming the most interesting character along side with the horn player. (Sorry, I'm horrid with names, I'll try to pick up on them more in the future).

The Professor (John Goodman) is a great addition. And I think my music appreciation is expanding enormously, which is a very good thing. How many shows let you hear really good music from start to finish? And in every episode? If that were the only good part of the show, I might easily still watch.

Treme is "suffering" from a similar problem the Wire did- a lot of the complaints of "I saw that coming" or "that person is ridiculous" are actually because they're taken from real life people or situations. The DJ character is based on a real guy. Goodman's character is, too (the two characters that many people are complaining about).

The DJ is obsessed with the whole "real New Orleans" idea, due to some odd cultural guilt, and it manifests itself in sometimes destructive ways. But it's core element of the city and Katrina just added this new weird element to it.

But yeah this show is all atmosphere. Frankly I don't care if anything ever actually happens, the setting and characters make it the best hour on TV for me. My bias as a music fan, I suppose. The last episode had McCoy Tyner as both a cameo and a sex joke punchline (with Ron Carter standing there in a cameo spot as well). Maybe it's a cheap gimmick for us music snobs, but I'll take it.

It does have awesome music. And characters. Odd, I seem to dislike one of the characters getting "complaints" and absolutely love the other. I just see the D.J. as being foolish. It seems this guy needs a solid dose of simple common sense.

I suppose spoilers are in order:

I don't see a spoilers tab on top, there.

SPOILERS...

O.K. so he happens to get a flat right in front of a guys house. A guy who offers him a ride... by a friend on a bike... assures the guy he'll watch his expensive electronic keyboard etc, etc.

Even I saw through that before the conversation was over. I mean, why not offer the guy the use of a phone? Or offer to call a cab for him? Whether or not he could afford/would take him up on any of this is a moot point: the guy didn't offer.

Even if he did, every warning bell in my brain would be going off.

Goodman, on the other hand, actsa lot like a professor. They come in all types and are not usually afraid to come off as controversial or even insulting. In fact, the bigger the university I suspect the more radical you find many of the professors. And they love the sound of their own voices.

:D

Yes, the DJ is foolish. And self-destructive.

The last episode however showed that even a foolish self-destructive person can influence people. He got a bunch of great musicians to record a silly song for him for free. The montage of him asking everybody was classic. So many great rapid-fire lines.

"And people will ask what's the most impressive thing you've ever done..."
"Tune a bass drunk."

"Can this epistle be in b-flat?"

"Fucking is fucking, but music is personal."

"Would you rather have a great economy or a 4-hour lunch break?"

Not exact quotes, but nice lines, however they were phrased. I liked the kid who was absolutely clueless about the indian traditions. Embarrassingly so. (They have done a great job brining those of us who didn't know a thing about this up do speed. And in full regalia was pretty awe-inspiring, I have ot admit that. They were very pretty, indeed.

Are the costumes a bit like totem poles? In design, I mean? And what do they represent? I mean, like, do they represent anything in specific (family trees, spirits, history)?

And, so a big spoiler here, for those who haven't seen this week's Treme.
[SPOILERS]
So, did Creighton jump from the boat? I figured he'd keel over with a heart attack, they kept leaving big hints about that. Instead, it was referring to his depression, daring fate to take him out, I gather. I do hope he's not leaving the series, but it seemed fairly suspicious at the end, there. [/SPOILERS]

SPOILERS, etc

Oh yeah, Creighton's gone. The whole episode he's exhibiting classic suicidal tendencies and clinical depression. I knew he was gonna off himself when he ran out to tell his daughter she looked pretty.

For some reason the most heart-breaking moment for me in the finale was when Janette came home to find the rain had bust in to her apartment. When she kind of nodded in resignation, it was pretty obvious she just gave up at that point. Her explanation to Davis was superfluous.

Speaking of Davis- hosting a party of, specifically, "musicians and hot women." My hero.
"This is a party in the Treme, and we do not use the stereo."
I like how he can get like a dozen beautiful young women in his home in short notice yet not get lucky. Tells you a lot about the dude.

:LOL: I had not considered it from that perspective. So is he not really "officially" in a relationship?

I will miss Creighton. I kind of suspected he'd try to suicide when he started to "wrap things up": letting his class go, literally, to find their own reading, a big tip to a street musician. (And didn't he throw a wad of cash away right after that? I assumed that's what he'd done, but should have taken the time to rewind.) His comment to his daughter set off warning flags, but the cigarette made me think it might be a heart attack instead.

And yes, the suicide didn't really impact much, a lot like the prison death (at that point, the woman looking for her relative was the only one not assuming he was dead, I think, at that point). Sometimes it is the more down-to-earth stuff that hits us in the gut.

The Chief's dilemna got to me also. It's like he's fighting the system alone. He has to protest, and take action, but it seems to be accomplishing less than nothing: the resistance is just strengthening as he draws attention to the stupid decisions being made.

:LOL: I had not considered it from that perspective. So is he not really "officially" in a relationship?

Well yeah exactly- he'd like to be, but Janette didn't take him seriously. He is, to her, a microcosm of the whole city- he gives her those beautiful moments, but moments don't make up a life.

The Chief's dilemna got to me also. It's like he's fighting the system alone. He has to protest, and take action, but it seems to be accomplishing less than nothing: the resistance is just strengthening as he draws attention to the stupid decisions being made.

Also, the Chief isn't 100% in the right. His desire to have people back is understandable, but the cops are also right- NO had a vicious crime problem, and at this point the city certainly did not have the infrastructure and resources to handle people who were already often in trouble. This sounds mean and Republican, but crime flourishes amongst poverty. The escalation of crime months after Katrina was a huge problem, briefly dealt with in this show, but will, I presume, be a bigger thing in the next season.

That is the big picture, yes. I definitely see that side, and I understand how that is the decision that would have to be reached. I suspect as one whose people lived there, it seems a bit more like burning Rome to build a better version. Both sides have a point, his is of course the story we are seeing close up.

I was wondering when the crime would come into the story line on a more proportionally appropriate level. I suppose a lot of season 1 is personality development and relationship stories. Getting to know the situation should involve dealing with a lot more crime, though, I would think.

Can't do everything at once.

Back