• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Crusade: Appearances And Other Deceits

Appearances And Other Deceits

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I actually like this episode for the blatant way JMS thumbs his nose at the TNT suits, and they actually allowed it to air, they probably didn't even notice the context.

At the time it first aired, I thought it was a poke at Political imagery in general, since I didn't know about the suit intereference, but, knowing about that it makes some scenes all the poignant

Last edited:
I actually like this episode for the blatant way JMS thumbs his nose at the TNT suits, and they actually allowed it to air, they probably didn't even notice the context.

At the time it first aired, I thought it was a poke at Political imagery in general, since I didn't know about the suit intereference, but, knowing about that it makes some scenes all the poignant

Agreed. :)

I thought the "transfer effect" CGI was very good.

Problems:

If the goal was to quietly "terraform" the crew, why write on the walls (like in the bullet car). It would arouse suspicion.

Some of the dialogue is too ridiculous to say with a straight face. e.g. "The air is human." :rolleyes: Yes, I know why it was said, but they should have come upon this knowledge from a different path. That line was simply un-be-liev-able.

When Mr. Welles hit the braindead guy in the EVA suit, it looked like he was swinging a toy(Nerf?), foam wrench and missed the guy by several miles. That bit just didn't work. Looked completely fake.

Yeah, this was the point where JMS basically said screw it, and wrote what he felt. And this was the last one to be shot before TNT pulled the plug, although I'm sure that's just coincidence..

It seems like a pretty inconsequential episode, but I think it's helped along enormously by being Eilerson-centric, and by bringing back Mr Welles as the face of the enemy (if only his alter-ego Neroon wasn't dead at this point, I'd have liked to see him in Crusade, maybe even on the crew..)

I wonder if the alien was telling the truth about knowing the cure for the plague? Since we never found out what it was, we can only speculate..

I'm not all that into Eilerson and his magical linguist skills, but I LOVE that they brought back Mr. Welles! I like that character and I like that actor (even more so as Neroon, but he doesn't need to be Neroon to be good .. ). I was pleased to see him again, although also a bit puzzled. It's surprising to see him still in that position with EarthGov after the whole civil war and all that. But, that seems to be true for a lot of people/organizations. Maybe that is/was going to be an important part of the story?

It's surprising to see him still in that position with EarthGov after the whole civil war and all that.

I think there was a quote from JMS about how people as slimy as Welles are able to just cynically realign their loyalties to stay in their positions. Plus he was a civil servant, not a war criminal, so there probably wouldn't have been any legal justification to get rid of him. There were probably lots of people who worked under the Clarke regime who were innocent and kept their jobs.

I'm kind of curious to know what, exactly, his new job is, since (obviously) neither the Ministry of Peace nor the Nightwatch are around any longer. Yea, I can buy "slimy person can just get a different job". I think that happens in the real world all the time :p Perhaps my use of "surprising" was a little off. "Interesting" would be better. It would be interesting to explore how some of these shady organization remained in power (IPX, and Psi Corps for a little while) immediately after the end of the civil war. I haven't watched all Crusade episodes yet, so that might be some more content along those lines that I haven't seen yet ...

Latest posts

Members online

Back