• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

Remember that the rumour was that there were two projects in the works – the reboot is obviously one, but there was also the animated project - if that goes ahead then that could be the perfect opportunity to tie up Lyta's story!

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that the animation project hasn't been confirmed. It's based on what a fan was told after some former crew people had a discussion with JMS. Possible 'game or telephone' or possibly perfectly accurate. Time will tell.

Indeed, which is why I referred to it as a rumour. I have to admit, I'm a little more sceptical about it going ahead now - would they want to do an animated series or movie based on the original series at the same time as the reboot? It could confuse some viewers.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOPE THIS HAPPENS!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind that the animation project hasn't been confirmed. It's based on what a fan was told after some former crew people had a discussion with JMS. Possible 'game or telephone' or possibly perfectly accurate. Time will tell.

Indeed, which is why I referred to it as a rumour. I have to admit, I'm a little more sceptical about it going ahead now - would they want to do an animated series or movie based on the original series at the same time as the reboot? It could confuse some viewers.

If a potential animated production (or something else) is in the works, it wouldn't necessarily have to be with the same network or studio as the series reboot. Both Trek and SW have had multiple projects going at the same time, and if memory serves... aren't Discovery and Picard taking place in alternate timelines? While it is possible that two simultaneous B5-ish projects might dilute the fan base, am hoping that twice the projects would double the chances of one (or both) of them succeeding. JMS would probably pull the plug if the product was sub-standard, so better two than one? :) :)

Guess there is always the chance of Too Many SF Shows. The history of SF on the Wrestling Channel is certainly one where the Suits always seemed to be axing or rejecting shows to make room for others, but would think that twenty years on there are more venues for possible B5 productions, especially with the 2021 remastered versions bringing seasons 1-5 into wider circulation.

If a potential animated production (or something else) is in the works, it wouldn't necessarily have to be with the same network or studio as the series reboot. Both Trek and SW have had multiple projects going at the same time, and if memory serves... aren't Discovery and Picard taking place in alternate timelines? While it is possible that two simultaneous B5-ish projects might dilute the fan base, am hoping that twice the projects would double the chances of one (or both) of them succeeding. JMS would probably pull the plug if the product was sub-standard, so better two than one? :) :)

Guess there is always the chance of Too Many SF Shows. The history of SF on the Wrestling Channel is certainly one where the Suits always seemed to be axing or rejecting shows to make room for others, but would think that twenty years on there are more venues for possible B5 productions, especially with the 2021 remastered versions bringing seasons 1-5 into wider circulation.

Discovery and Picard are intended to be in the same timeline as every other Star Trek series – but you're right, Paramount are planning on a fourth Star Trek Kelvin-verse movie at the same time as airing TV shows set in the Prime universe, so I suppose that sets a precedent.

I mean, I'd love for the rumour of the animated project to be true, but B5 has been forgotten by a lot of people, and there will be a whole new audience for the reboot including people who weren't even born when the original ended, so I can see how having the reboot and the animation running at the same time could confuse anyone who isn't a die hard fan like us!.

It's hard for me to consider any Trek that has been helmed by the "Lost Boys" as cannon. I get they did the whole Kelvin timeline, but they still did it sloppily, and Picard, while certainly including Patrick Stewart just isn't Trek and doesn't even remotely feel in the same universe. It's almost like a real-life fan fiction. I somewhat enjoyed the series, but I did as if it was it's own set of characters in it's own bubble. It just didn't fit into Trekverse.

It's hard to believe there is a group who is taking Trek further away from it's roots than Berman did, but here we are.

It's hard for me to consider any Trek that has been helmed by the "Lost Boys" as cannon. I get they did the whole Kelvin timeline, but they still did it sloppily, and Picard, while certainly including Patrick Stewart just isn't Trek and doesn't even remotely feel in the same universe. It's almost like a real-life fan fiction. I somewhat enjoyed the series, but I did as if it was it's own set of characters in it's own bubble. It just didn't fit into Trekverse.

It's hard to believe there is a group who is taking Trek further away from it's roots than Berman did, but here we are.

A good reason to have JMS take the helm for Trek as well as B5!! :)

But Picard was holding true to some of the tenets of Prime Trek - whenever there is a crisis, Starfleet has Only One Ship to deal with it - the Enterprise. Now we know why: Utopia Planetia is the Federation's only shipyard, as when they didn't Listen To Ivanova and went Boom, no more ships were available to help the Romulans, who were in the same predicament as Starfleet, having only a handful of ships themselves.

But Picard was holding true to some of the tenets of Prime Trek - whenever there is a crisis, Starfleet has Only One Ship to deal with it - the Enterprise. Now we know why: Utopia Planetia is the Federation's only shipyard, as when they didn't Listen To Ivanova and went Boom, no more ships were available to help the Romulans, who were in the same predicament as Starfleet, having only a handful of ships themselves.

JMS's talents to me lie in universe and story arc building, and character development along those lines. Trek has never been about a story arc. Well, except for DS9 but we all know where that idea came from...

As for Picard, I think Picard himself was fine. But the universe and feel was way off. It was more of the same Grimdark that is all the rage these days, and is decidedly NOT Trek. It just felt...wrong, when viewed in the lens of Star Trek. When viewed as it's own standalone thing: I enjoyed it.

That is a great point that made me contemplate, I wonder how familiar JMS is with the Star Trek Universe? Obviously he knows TOS and likely TNG, but did he ever delve into DS9 and beyond? I'm certain he has answered this question multiple times. :)

That is a great point that made me contemplate, I wonder how familiar JMS is with the Star Trek Universe? Obviously he knows TOS and likely TNG, but did he ever delve into DS9 and beyond? I'm certain he has answered this question multiple times. :)

I think JMS has said that he hasn't watched DS9, for obvious reasons, I guess. Maybe he has seen some of Voyager, as he's friends with Jeri Taylor.

I discovered recently that he wrote at least one StarTrek comic for DC. It's pretty good. I think he wrote it around the time he was writing The Gathering, there's some lines in the comic that ended up in B5!

There's also the treatment for a Star Trek reboot that he put together with Bryce Zabel who made Dark Skies. It would have been the original cast but it felt very much like B5 - a five-year mission = five-year story, rebelling against dark forces in the Federation, etc.

I'm wondering how many episodes we are going to get. Back in the day, every series had 22-24 episodes a season. Now nobody does that anymore and some shows only have EIGHT! So how is JMS going to get all this stuff going with only 8 episodes a season; 1/3 time screen time?

I'm wondering how many episodes we are going to get. Back in the day, every series had 22-24 episodes a season. Now nobody does that anymore and some shows only have EIGHT! So how is JMS going to get all this stuff going with only 8 episodes a season; 1/3 time screen time?

15+ seasons sounds fair :LOL:

How many episodes per season are most of the CW shows? That might give us a clue even though it'll be a long time before we'll get a series green light.

How many episodes per season are most of the CW shows? That might give us a clue even though it'll be a long time before we'll get a series green light.

Both the Flash and Sabrina had full 24 episode seasons. Sabrina S2 got 13 episodes.

I'd be pretty good with something in the middle. Like 12 episode seasons.

That's a great point. But he was up for the idea of a Telepath War movie. A lot of the background and development would have been done by the series, but a lot would have to be dropped.

That actually sounds very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing that. So it sounds like the new B5 will be different from the classic series in some important ways (a conflict accidentally started, but with a whopping 1 million year difference in the age of the two sides). I'm excited already.

I recently dropped HuluLiveTV, I'll have to figure out who carries the CW network. And maybe as soon as Next Fall, that would be amazing.

That actually sounds very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing that. So it sounds like the new B5 will be different from the classic series in some important ways (a conflict accidentally started, but with a whopping 1 million year difference in the age of the two sides). I'm excited already.

I recently dropped HuluLiveTV, I'll have to figure out who carries the CW network. And maybe as soon as Next Fall, that would be amazing.

KGUN 9 in Tucson is your local CW affiliate.

I can't get Tucson channels without having a t.v. service provider. I think Hulu LIve TV may have carried it. I'll check Amazon Prime and HBO Max, as well. I still have both of those and some of them have networks you can add onto your package. Thanks, though, it's good to know that KGUN from Tucson would have it. It's hard to find the local news on these t.v. plans if you are in an area smaller, like Tucson is.

Edit: looks like I'll be renewing my Hulu LIve TV package when B5 airs.

"You can watch The CW live without cable with one of these streaming services:Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, DirecTV Stream and YouTube TV. In this article, we’ll help you decide which streaming option is best for you."

https://flixed.io/how-to-watch-the-cw-without-cable/

Last edited:
I can't get Tucson channels without having a t.v. service provider. I think Hulu LIve TV may have carried it. I'll check Amazon Prime and HBO Max, as well. I still have both of those and some of them have networks you can add onto your package. Thanks, though, it's good to know that KGUN from Tucson would have it. It's hard to find the local news on these t.v. plans if you are in an area smaller, like Tucson is.

Edit: looks like I'll be renewing my Hulu LIve TV package when B5 airs.

"You can watch The CW live without cable with one of these streaming services:Hulu + Live TV, fuboTV, DirecTV Stream and YouTube TV. In this article, we’ll help you decide which streaming option is best for you."

https://flixed.io/how-to-watch-the-cw-without-cable/

I see there is also a CW station in Sierra Vista. Transmits on UHF digital channel 21 / Virtual channel 58.1 KWBA. The transmitter is on top of the Santa Rita Mountains.

The problem isn't Sierra Vista, it's Bisbee. The mountains effectively cut off receiving antennae transmissions in most of the town. Someone I knew who lived on "High Road" long ago could get a bad picture of some local Tucson station. But the mountains (and some say the metals in the mountains) really can mess up transitions. I've wondered if I might be able to get a signal now that I am living on the other side of mountains, and in the foothills. But I don't want to spend money and find it won't work.

I keep a Hulu subscription, just dropped the whole live tv thing for awhile. With it I can watch Tucson news and now B5. "What We Do In The Shadows" one day later than Fox broadcasts it. I just wish good entertainment weren't so spread out over different services. I doubt I'll ever get a chance to see Foundation or the new Star Trek stuff.

Is Picard and the new Star Trek stuff worth a Paramount subscription?

The problem isn't Sierra Vista, it's Bisbee. The mountains effectively cut off receiving antennae transmissions in most of the town. Someone I knew who lived on "High Road" long ago could get a bad picture of some local Tucson station. But the mountains (and some say the metals in the mountains) really can mess up transitions. I've wondered if I might be able to get a signal now that I am living on the other side of mountains, and in the foothills. But I don't want to spend money and find it won't work.

I keep a Hulu subscription, just dropped the whole live tv thing for awhile. With it I can watch Tucson news and now B5. "What We Do In The Shadows" one day later than Fox broadcasts it. I just wish good entertainment weren't so spread out over different services. I doubt I'll ever get a chance to see Foundation or the new Star Trek stuff.

Is Picard and the new Star Trek stuff worth a Paramount subscription?

Paramount+ is offering a free month trial. You could binge watch the shows and see if you like them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back