• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Gathering

AMRA

It seems some where I read the DVD version of "The Gathering" was slightly different from the version aried on TV back in 1993. Can someone tell me if there is any truth to this.

If there are two different versions what are the differences.

It seems some where I read the DVD version of "The Gathering" was slightly different from the version aried on TV back in 1993. Can someone tell me if there is any truth to this.

If there are two different versions what are the differences.
Yes, there are two versions, and at least in region II both of them have appeared on DVD. At first the original version, later folowed by the new version.

The new packaging will always have the new version, but if you buy one with the old packaging (no longer in stores, so you'd have to buy one from e-Bay or similar) then you can get either the old or the new version. And it does not even say on the box which version you'll get!

The version I got is the old version. And I did not even realise it untill years later!

The old version has a few scenes that are not on the new version. Most memorable is a short walk through the alien sector. This is done soooo badly that looks remarkebly like walking through the lizard section of a zoo. Small glass boxes with straw and alien "puppets". The soundtrack is also different as the original version was not done by Franke.

So, it is safe to say the B5 DVD movie box set would have the newer version. I have a older version cardboard box type DVD release, forgot I even had it... It features "The Gathering" and "In The Beginning". It looks like it is the older version.

Checking the soundtrack like you mention the music for this version is different. It was composed by Stewart Copeland, who is the drummer for "The Police". Which means this version is the original TV release. Great!!!

Thanks for the imformation. I just getting back into the B5 scene and I'm finding I have missed alot.

Really enjoy this forum. Everyone I've spoke with know there B5 stuff.

Just check the version I have out. The soundtrack is the C. Franke version even though the DVD cover gives S. Copeland the credit. Strange and disappointing.

Guess I'll start looking on Ebay for a even older version.

If I remember correctly the newer version of The Gathering begins with something along the lines of "TNT Special Presentation" or some such at the beginning.

I think it says "TNT Presents a Special Edition of Babylon 5 The Gathering." The original version of the pilot is on Hulu and thewb.com as well if you can't track down a DVD copy (Region 1 was only special edition I believe). The special edition follows the script and original intent closer I think though, because a lot of scenes were cut out of the original version. Sure you won't get the Zoo walk or the "privacy mode", but you will get Takashima's original voice performance and scenes like the Dust smuggler/hostage situation.

At heart I collect all types of stuff, largely scifi items. I would really like to find a copy of the first version. I had it at one time, actual recorded on vhs when the pilot was first aried. When the movie box set was released I trash the vhs I had in favor of it not realizing there difference.

Here is a link to a new released of "The Gathering". Supposively it is the orginal release with the original soundtrack, can anyone comfirm this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BABYLON-5-GATHE...&pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item45f302245f

I have both on DVD (long story), the packaging is identical. There’s a few edits to bring the pilot movie into line with how the story arc (and the Kosh character) developed during the run of the show.

Kosh – in the new version - says e’til’za (sp.) when first meeting sinclair (or the asasin as it turned out). He didn’t in the original.

Before Lyta goes walk about in Koshes mind to see what happened to him she now explains that what we see is from Kosh’s perspective but it will be her body (she does this while wearing the breather so you don’t notice the addition – no mouth movement). It’s added to basically explain why Kosh extends a hand to sinclair. In the new version that rather manly hand ; -) also has a ‘glow’ about it. In the original there was no explanation from Lyta or glow to the hand.

The external shots of the station are mostly replaced with establishing shots used during the later years of the series. Basically, the original didn’t have many ships outside or starfuries (none of which were designed at the time of the pilot).

The music changed.

The muppets squatting in the alien sector are not in the new version, neither is a short sequence showing G’Kar envoking privacy at a table in the bar while talking to Lyta. Basically it’s a type of security field that is indicated by lights moving in and surrounding them while sitting at the table. An idea that was obviously dropped for the show.

A short additional external cgi sequence was added to the new version (created by Netter), showing a crew shuttle and some folks searching the exterior of the station. Plus there wa some edits to allow

There’s also some editing that helps the action flow a little but the best bet is to hear, or read it, from the horses mouth. Here’s a link to page where jms explains things in some detail.
http://www.isnnews.net/babylon5/movies/pilot.shtml

Good stuff here, Thanks

I watch orginal pilot on Hulu and then watch the remastered version back to back. All in all they both have there strong pionts, but my vote goes to the first issue pilot.

Wish there was a way I you could download the pilot from Hulu. Couldn't find the original pilot on Youtube. I did find a bunch of un-edited bloopers on Youtube though and interviews of the cast in the day.

Before Lyta goes walk about in Koshes mind to see what happened to him she now explains that what we see is from Kosh’s perspective but it will be her body (she does this while wearing the breather so you don’t notice the addition – no mouth movement). It’s added to basically explain why Kosh extends a hand to sinclair. In the new version that rather manly hand ; -) also has a ‘glow’ about it. In the original there was no explanation from Lyta or glow to the hand.
I know this post is two-years old, but FYI Lyta's dialogue was added to the original version of the pilot. It wasn't there in the initial showing at LosCon but was added before it aired on PTEN for the first time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back