B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > A new river > B5.reborn

Old February 16th 22, 03:16   #111
hypatia
First One

Re: B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

There certainly are a lot of remakes in the making these days. I really liked what I heard about the rebootís premise, too. But mostly, I keep hoping because Iím just a fool for B5. It was a great series and a lot of it is spookily relevant to our current times. Iíll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Old February 17th 22, 15:35   #112
Looney
Telepath

I will point this out...... we have a certain significant anniversary coming up in 2023 so it would be fitting if there were a reboot Babylon 5 pilot in 2023.

And who started the HBO MAX talk?! I have seen two different video titles that want me to click on rumors that B5 is headed to HBO MAX. That would be my dream and the move that makes the most sense, but to my knowledge JMS hasn't hinted at that..

I am not totally dismissing the CW, but the odds seemed sooooo greatly stacked against it as soon as the sale was announced. That is if indeed there is an outside buyer. My original theory was this was just a way for WB to regain total control over the CW entity, but the rejection of the pilot order seemed to disprove that. Perhaps the rejection had nothing to do with it and in fact WB is trying to gain total control. It makes sense in terms of wanting all of the DC branded content totally under their auspice.
Old February 17th 22, 19:46   #113
Jan
Psi Cop

There's been talk about HBO Max almost from day one. JMS has said
Quote:
And in the days since those calls there have been more discussions with the network and studio about how best to ensure B5ís future.
But to paraphrase Dukhat, "[He] did not say anything then, and [he is] am not saying anything now."
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 22, 01:00   #114
hypatia
First One

I assume Netflix is out of the possible futures homes for a B5 Reboot. Iíd renew my subscription in a heartbeat. HBO Max would be great for me, but there would be a lot of people unable to watch it. Thatís kind of the new trend in television entertainment today, I guess.
Old February 19th 22, 15:36   #115
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
I assume Netflix is out of the possible futures homes for a B5 Reboot. Iíd renew my subscription in a heartbeat. HBO Max would be great for me, but there would be a lot of people unable to watch it. Thatís kind of the new trend in television entertainment today, I guess.
I have little interest in seeing a new Babylon 5 being picked up by Netflix. Their model is two and done. Three if they think they can milk it. Four if it is really big and five if if it is Stranger Things Big. They go into every show with cancelation in mind. A show needs solid numbers, and a LOT of LUCK, for a second season and huge numbers to go three and beyond. I know every entertainment entity thinks that way, but Netflix in particular seems to show they have no problem limiting shows to one or two seasons even if they are popular.

This is one reason HBO MAX and Amazon Prime would be my top two choices for places that the show could really let loose. CW would still have to deal with censorship issues. I feel like HULU might not have much of a commitment to extended original content. (This feeling comes from following saga behind the upcoming third season of The Orville on Hulu. It sounds like HULU has put a lot of effort into it, but might not be willing to go that route for a season four.)

BTW, streaming services I pay for in terms of use for all of you market researchers out there .....

75% Acorn
15% Hulu
5% Amazon Prime
3% Disney Plus
2% Netflix

And I just got Criterion, which is paying off pretty well.
Old February 20th 22, 02:37   #116
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:
I have little interest in seeing a new Babylon 5 being picked up by Netflix. Their model is two and done. Three if they think they can milk it. Four if it is really big and five if if it is Stranger Things Big. They go into every show with cancelation in mind. A show needs solid numbers, and a LOT of LUCK, for a second season and huge numbers to go three and beyond. I know every entertainment entity thinks that way, but Netflix in particular seems to show they have no problem limiting shows to one or two seasons even if they are popular.

This is one reason HBO MAX and Amazon Prime would be my top two choices for places that the show could really let loose. CW would still have to deal with censorship issues. I feel like HULU might not have much of a commitment to extended original content. (This feeling comes from following saga behind the upcoming third season of The Orville on Hulu. It sounds like HULU has put a lot of effort into it, but might not be willing to go that route for a season four.)

BTW, streaming services I pay for in terms of use for all of you market researchers out there .....

75% Acorn
15% Hulu
5% Amazon Prime
3% Disney Plus
2% Netflix

You certainly have an impressive set of services. I didnít know that about Netflix, but I should have guessed. They donít seem to keep shows on very long (Lucifer and Stranger Things are doing well, I think I just assumed a lot of other shows were, too).

Hulu is reviving Futurama, I think. But that might be on a limited basis. HBO Max or Amazon would be great, but HBO Max would really limit the total audience.
Old February 20th 22, 21:54   #117
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Futurama's coming back? That show has more lives than an exceptionally lucky cat.

HBO does seem to nurse its shows a bit. And they can hardly complain about low numbers if it's behind a paywall.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st 22, 14:06   #118
Looney
Telepath

Yes I heard FUTURAMA is coming back again.
Old February 21st 22, 20:21   #119
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Quote:

75% Acorn
15% Hulu
5% Amazon Prime
3% Disney Plus
2% Netflix

Amazon Prime is the only place that I wish any new B5 universe project would go, but the only project I want to see is a completion of Crusade, and there's no way that's going to happen because the cast has aged 21 years, plus Gary Cole is on NCIS.

I guess that JMS could completely reboot Crusade with a different title and cast, and get around all the TNT meddling that way. I'd hate to lose the original cast of Crusade. Maybe they could pull it off as older people, but some of the active stuff they did in 1999 Crusade, I don't see them doing in their 60s and 70s.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd 22, 22:47   #120
LateArrival
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Amazon Prime is the only place that I wish any new B5 universe project would go, but the only project I want to see is a completion of Crusade, and there's no way that's going to happen because the cast has aged 21 years, plus Gary Cole is on NCIS.
Thought that one of the possible options for LotR was that the Rangers might take up the search for the plague cure. For the sake of continuity, perhaps the Excalibur was lost in some sort of Time Warp to explain the 21 year difference. Wasn't the plague going to be resolved with the plot veering into leftover Shadow tech and how it was being misused by Earthforce (and/or others), which was touched on in the Techo-Mage novels and possibly TMoS.