• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Oh, MY.

Bottom line though, accidents do happen, even by considerate people, and really when it comes down to it, its only a TV show. Lets all try to keep things into perspective here.

If a thread is clearly labelled to be about a TV programme that I haven't seen, then I read such threads at my own risk, and if someone accidentally drops in a spoiler, so be it, it's an accident.

But when a complaint is made about a spoiler in an unrelated thread, and such a complaint is referred to as 'whining', (I notice that phrase has since been edited out and replaced with 'complain') and then I'm accused of 'holding a grudge' because I give an example of when such a complaint is legitimate, I begin to wonder if this is a board I want to continue to visit.

Accidents do happen, of course, but the attitudes demonstrated by the use of perjorative terms for what I still think is a legitimate comment do not sit comfortably with me.

The only B5 discussion groups I participated in while the show was in production were U.S.-based, run by Amiericans, had the participation of the show's creator - who naturally referred to the show's U.S. release schedule - and were about a show produced for American television. So, yeah, I'd expect Brits who were getting first-run episodes on a slightly different schedule to a) be aware of that fact and b) careful about spoilers. That was reasonable under the circumstances. I'd similarly expect any Yanks who logged into British sites or newgroups to either expect spoilers or deal with it when they learned the actual situation.

This board is a very different situation, being a much more international group than many, while primarily discussing series produced in one or two countries. The situation is not at all analogous to the old B5 days.

Asking everybody in the United States to take a one-year vow of silence on current American TV programming because all the episodes might not have aired in Andorra yet is simply ludicrous. Do any of you have a giant world map hung up above your computer showing when every series produced in your country will be airing in every other country in the world? Do you then check every internet post you make to it against that chart lest you inadvertently post a spoiler? How about the contries that don't currently have the shows. Are you going to hold off on mentioning a M*A*S*H episode because they're just now getting that in Latvia?

Of course you don't. and of course you won't censor your TV show comments that way. It would be unreasonable to expect you do to so. So why are you insisting that Americans do so? 99% of the people in your countries have no clue in the world when the TV shows they watch air in other places around the world and they frankly don't care. This is not a crime. It is nice when people make an effort to educate themselves on these matters and polite to try to avoid spoilers. But it is not a violation of the Geneva Conventions when somebody slips up.

Excuse me, I have to go back to watching the "Roll around on the grass while faking a knee injury in the hope of getting a penalty shot Cup" highlights. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Y'know, if I'd known my comment about spoilers would kick off such controversy, I'd have kept my mouth shut.

Basically, I suppose I should get used to it. I got spoiled for how Return of the Jedi ended. The first episode of Buffy that I ever saw was Season 6 (the musical ep, no less). Kosh's secret identity got blown for me before I saw "Fall of Night," and I had a fairly good idea of the shape of season 3 and 4 as well. I knew Garibaldi did something extraordinarily bad to Sheridan. Now I know what happens in "Kobol's Last Gleaming," although this isn't as much of a problem as I'll watch it tomorrow, assuming Netflix gets it to me by then. About the only show I'm not spoiled for is Lost.

Oh, and I haven't seen the Sixth Sense yet. It's also on the Netflix list.

Excuse me, I have to go back to watching the "Roll around on the grass while faking a knee injury in the hope of getting a penalty shot Cup" highlights. ;)
Don't you mean the "Frenchman's career coming to a close, but not before headbutting an Italian in the chest after a play and getting redcarded & ejected from his final game" highlights? :)

Dear KoshFan,

I seriously meant my comment about how I'll spoil season 3 of BSG as a joke, both self-deprecating and a crack at the internet fan-geek community. Really- I didn't think it would actually turn your BSG thread into this snipping.

Apologies,

the mighty GKarsEye

Asking everybody in the United States to take a one-year vow of silence on current American TV programming because all the episodes might not have aired in Andorra yet is simply ludicrous. Do any of you have a giant world map hung up above your computer showing when every series produced in your country will be airing in every other country in the world? Do you then check every internet post you make to it against that chart lest you inadvertently post a spoiler? How about the contries that don't currently have the shows. Are you going to hold off on mentioning a M*A*S*H episode because they're just now getting that in Latvia?

That really isn't the point. You don't need to keep track of what airs when where, as all that people are asking is that if you post something about something relatively new (new enough to not be out on DVD yet for example, if remembering when something aired in your own country is too difficult), you try to remember to post a line along the lines of "spoilers for Lost Season 2 ahead" .. which really isn't that much effort. And which really doesn't require you keeping track of the TV scedules in Andorra.

Of course people will sometimes forget, and of course it's not a violation of the Geneva convention when someone forgets .. but on an international board like this one, I don't think it's asking much of people for them to try to remember. IIRC, we did have fairly strict rules about it around here .. when we still had rules :D I'm not holding it against people that they sometimes forget .. I do hold it against people though when all they say about this issue is "bah, I don't care". Brits didn't seem to have a problem with being careful about BSG Season 1 or about Doctor Who .. mostly, because unlike Americans, they're used to being on the sticky end of this debate.

But we are reeeaaaallly getting off the topic here ...

ThreadDirection.jpg

Don't you mean the "Frenchman's career coming to a close, but not before headbutting an Italian in the chest after a play and getting redcarded & ejected from his final game" highlights? :)

That hasn't aired yet here!! You've spoiled it!

Kidding of course. Seriously though with all the flopping those Italians did for 4 weeks it was about time one of them hit the ground for a legitimate reason.

For what its worth, I fully intend to whinge like a little girly that you Yanks spoil everything... :D I assume that was why the Internet was invented?

Why must we suffer with shitty TV anyhow?
:LOL:

So, let's see. At the end of season one, how are our heroes faring?

The political chain of command is in complete upheaval. The president's in Galactica's brig. The VP is stranded on Kobol, having strange hallucinations, and likely about to chuck humanity in favor of regular nookie with #6. There's no clear line of succession after Baltar; the only thing that's obvious is that Tom Zarek is going to exploit this opportunity as best he can.

The military side of things is clearer, but still fragile. Adama's been shot, which means Tigh's in charge. Tigh's a good man -- when he's not being messed with by his wife. Which he undoubtedly will be, considering her lust for power. Of Adama's two most closely trusted officers, who could help keep Tigh together, Apollo's in the brig next to Roslin and Starbuck's on Caprica.

One light push and the whole fleet could go up in flames at this point. I won't rest easy until Adama's back on Galactica's bridge.

I'm Netflixing season 2 right away.

Oh, I envy you your chance to experience the second season for the first time. :D I dearly love this show, and for good reason.

I watched all the first season episodes in two viewing periods, so with no commercial interruptions and no wait between episodes, I got really involved in the show, and then, when Adama was shot, I was almost literally in shock. I couldn't do anything but say "Oh fuck!" repeatedly for several minutes. I literally couldn't stop it.

So, the second half of season2 has been released on DVD? I really hated how they released the first half only. Talk about double dipping.

You'll like the second season too, KoshFan. :D

So, the second half of season2 has been released on DVD? I really hated how they released the first half only. Talk about double dipping.

Not yet. The second part of season two comes out on September 19.

I disliked the idea of them releasing the halves seperately too, and I still kind of would like the whole season as one set. But the price of the two seperate halves added up (using the current prices amazon's got for them) is a bit less than $70 total, so the total cost still fits with the cost that some whole season sets go for.

Well, I hope they got some features on the second half then, because the first half is really barebones, from what I heard. Nothing to make me buy it as opposed to sticking with my own recordings.

They just HAVE to release the last set of DVDs right before the next season starts. Ugh, so frustrating.

I mean I don't care about it here personally, I'm not buying them, but it sure was torturous when they did it for Deadwood.

Latest posts

Members online

Back