• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Is it just me or...?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Or does almost every TV series have it's best season in the 3rd?

Buffy had it's best season in season 3 and has gotten steadily worse (with the exception of one or two episodes) since then.

Stargate also had it's best season at the third, although it hasn't done a slump. It's third season was the better of the bunch.

The Next Generation also had it's best season at the third (and it's best episode in The Best Of Both Worlds Part 2)

And from what I hear of Farscape's latest season then their third looks set to be their better one too

Although there are probably more i either don't watch them or I can't think of them right now.

And there is one exception to this rule I can think of...

Babylon 5 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Which, in my opinion, had its better season in season 5.

Anyone got any thoughts, comments or arguments to this?

*Looks up* /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Wow! That was probably the longest post I have ever written!

Mhh.. *thinks of Star Trek - TOS* Yes. Great 3rd season /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Well on general this is usually true. Probably this is the time most shows usually figure out how to do it best..later on, they usually run out of ideas.

Actually I'd say Season 3 of B5 was best, in a very close draw with Season 4. The exception for me was ST:TOS. Season 3 was pretty awful.

A poll here determined that the majority of people felt the 3rd Season was the best.

Of course there are many exceptions to this (DS9, The Twilight Zone, TOS, etc.) Booji is close enough. Way to be.

Now if we would have had a Ranger series, we could have seen if the 3rd season thing would hold true for it too. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

It is logical about it... as a show is hitting its stride by this point.

Buffy's season 3 could very well be among its best, but I think season five has the edge.

Angel's season 3 is the worst yet.

Voyager's season 3 was definitley the beginning of the end.

DS9's was when people thought it started to get better, but it's definitely not its best. That's 6, 7 etc.

I think, basically, not many shows should have a bad season three. They should know what they're doing by that point, but not be bored with it.

season 3 of B5 and season 4 were definitely excellent. I must admit though that I have never really payed interest to the rule of three!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Voyager's season 3 was definitley the beginning of the end.

[/quote]

You know, there is something funny about Voyager for me. I never really "hated" it. I just sort of drifted away from it.

It had so much potential. I admit I liked that we had a female captain. And a native American. And a crew that was effectively divided.

But what did they do with it? Geeze. Chacotay, the part I thought would definitely be the most interesting, was written as crap. There'd be a little peek through the clouds here and there, but for the most part the writers just didn't do anything with this character.

Same with the captain and ensign Kim.

Grrrrr. If something stinks from day 1 I can just ignore it. But to start off so strong, with such a great premise, and then water it down... That's just torture for me.

Hmm, a lot like EFC. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Season one and two of Voyager were excellent, and at the time of season two I preferred it to DS9. Take in to account that DS9 is my favorite TV show ever, and that says something.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by ChiLlBeserker: </font color>
Mhh.. *thinks of Star Trek - TOS* Yes. Great 3rd season

[/quote]

Eh? Some of TOS Season 3 was truly awful. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Instead of third season, I'd say "middle season" so in TOS that'd be Season 2. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Demon: </font color>
Actually I'd say Season 3 of B5 was best, in a very close draw with Season 4. The exception for me was ST:TOS. Season 3 was pretty awful.

[/quote]

Agreed on all counts.

To me, season five of B5 always had more of a prologue feel to it

[/quote]

Did you mean epilogue?

The Next Generation also had it's best season at the third (and it's best episode in The Best Of Both Worlds Part 2)

[/quote]

Actually, part 2 was the first episode of season 4. Part 1 was the cliffhanger that ended season 3 (waits for Lyta to comment on my geekiness /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ).

The third season would normally be the time when the writers and actors get comfortable with the roles and stories, and it's a good place for any developing arcs to kick into high gear, drawing in their fans even more. It is also usually before a show starts to run out of ideas. TNG is the perfect example: the first two seasons had a lot of searching: getting rid of Tasha, chaning the doctor twice, altering Geordi's job, and re-inventing Worf. By season 3, the mold was set and the show had consistency. I think they also basically re-staffed their writers, upping the talent level in that regard.

I would also submit season 3 (and four) of the X-Files to be their peak. The first couple of seasons set the tone and characters, the next couple kicked that arc into high gear, and the rest just fell apart and got lost.

The original Star Trek and Monty Python are exceptions because season 3 was the end for them, not the middle. They are episodic shows with no arc- how can you keep coming up with stuff without getting lame and repeating yourself? Anthology series don't have that problem because they don't use the same characters, though I don't know which season of Twilight Zone was which, so I can't comment on that.

Deep Space is an exception because the show basically turned itself up on its head half-way down the line: it started off as an episodic set of events, portraying a bunch of stuff that happens to people on a station. A few season down the line, they threw in the Defiant, Warf, a war, etc, creating a big fancy arc that upped the intensity and changed the direction of the show.

Actually, part 2 was the first episode of season 4. Part 1 was the cliffhanger that ended season 3 (waits for Lyta to comment on my geekiness).

[/quote]

My mistake. Still good though.

I thought B5 Season 3 was the second best

Boy, that GKE is so geeky with all his TNG knowledge.

Feel better now? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif No? Ok, how about this ...

*blows a kiss to GKE and ruffles his hair*
*likes geeks*

GKE is just up on the ST trivia to get the ladies. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Hey, I buffed up on my ST knowledge to get a girl once - and yes, with this girl, it worked. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I should also note this girl encouraged me to get into B5 and filled me on the first two point five seasons. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Well I must say that regarding Buffy season 3 was just great season 4 sucked big time BUT season 5 was briliant.

Regarding B5... the 3rd and 4th where both very, very good.

I buffed up on my ST knowledge to get a girl once - and yes, with this girl, it worked.

[/quote]

Maybe I should try that...

Actually I would say that season 2 of Buffy was by far the best. 3 was good but marked the beginning of it's decline.

Blake's 7's 3rd season was pretty bad, followed up by an even worse 4th. However this was probably due to the departure of Blake in between seasons meaning that his absence had to be covered with a off hand line. Star Trek also had a pretty bad 3rd season, but other shows do have very good 3rd seasons.

I guess what you meant to say was that the 3rd season is make or break time for a show, it either withers and dies or really takes off.

Back