• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Red Dwarf the Movie

Glacophane

Regular
I loved the series and can't wait for the big screen version. Apparently filming will start later this year with the entire cast.

I saw something at scifi.com about it. I thought all it said was that someone was working on preproduction and that the actor who plays Rimmer said something about it.

But as others pointed out something like a year ago, this seems to be a movie that has been "about to be filmed" for a LONG time. :LOL:

We shall see. The premise that is mentioned, the characters before they got to Red Dwarf IIRC, surprised me.

We shall see what we shall see.

The idea of replacing the actors from the series would have been a huge mistake, IMHO. I'm very glad they decided against that. What made that show was that particular group of actors, I think.

Yes that is true, I may have been a bit hasty in my asessment. The info I got came from an article cullminated from an online chat with Chris Barrie where he was asked:

Can you tell us when we'll see the Red Dwarf movie version?
Geoff Acres

I don't know when we're going to start filming but I do know that Doug Naylor – the writer and director – has gone over to Australia to do some pre-production work on it.

A Red Dwarf movie is definitely going to happen and feature the cast of the television show.

They went down the road of looking at Hollywood stars to play us, but I think if they did that it wouldn't be the same. If you got four box office names involved it would end up being a movie about those stars and not about Red Dwarf. So all power to Doug and the boys for holding out for us.

I'm just worried about how long I can play a 28-year-old for!

After re-reading it, I do realize that he said that he wasnt sure when filming would begin but it was going to be made. My bad.

FYI - Series 3 & 4 have just been released on DVD. There's a lot more/better bonus features than on the last two.

I'm a bit leery about them making a movie, for the same reason I don't have very high hopes for the impending Hitchiker movie. That kind of comedy always seems to work better on the small screen, recorded with an audience. Without the punctuation of reaction, you just seem to get - well, Joe Piscopo on Star Trek.

Or maybe I just don't like when they make movies out of TV shows.

Red Dwarf is another one of the british comedies that I love. (and I know the words to the theme song!)
There's no way they could pull it off without Charles Craig (or is it Craig Charles :rolleyes:) Chris Barrie & Robert Llewelyn. Can't remember offhand who did Cat & Holly :confused:-havn't seen it in a few years since it's not on right now where I am. It would be interesting to see what sort of SFX they come up with. I'm not sure WHY they think they have to make a movie of it, but I'll definitely go see it.

I'm not sure if I do or not. :confused:

It's cold outside
there's no kind of atmosphere
I'm alone... more or less
Let me fly far away from here

Fun, fun, fun.... in the sun, sun, sun

I wan't to lie shipwrecked and comotose

? sipping fresh mango juice?
?goldfish girls nibbling at my toes?

Fun, fun, fun... in the sun, sun, sun

:D

I hope that's close.

And I've only seen a couple of seasons of it. I'll have to get it on DVD some day.

Can't remember offhand who did Cat & Holly -havn't seen it in a few years since it's not on right now where I am. It would be interesting to see what sort of SFX they come up with. I'm not sure WHY they think they have to make a movie of it, but I'll definitely go see it.
The Cat was played by Danny John Jules, Holly was played by Norman Lovett. Hopefully whatever SFX they use will be endearingly crap. It wouldn't be the same if they used big budget effects.

Damn! I bet I sound like a Doctor Who fan...

Norman Lovett lives near my home in Edinburgh I believe, though he wasnt the only actor to play holly, there were a total of at least 3, probably 4 if you count the american pilot. For 500 points can anyone name the third actors spot?

On the blurdy head that man. I think there may also have been an alternate one when they crossed to the altrnate universe.

I'm not sure if I do or not. :confused:

It's cold outside
there's no kind of atmosphere
I'm alone... more or less
Let me fly far away from here

Fun, fun, fun.... in the sun, sun, sun

I wan't to lie shipwrecked and comotose

? sipping fresh mango juice?
?goldfish girls nibbling at my toes?

:D

I hope that's close.

And I've only seen a couple of seasons of it. I'll have to get it on DVD some day.

Close, Hyp.

Here it is, from the official Red Dwarf website:

It's cold outside, there's no kind of atmosphere
I'm all alone, more or less
Let me fly, far away from here

Fun fun fun, In the sun sun sun

I want to lie, shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh, mango juice
Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes

The Cat was played by Danny John-Jules, Holly was played by Norman Lovett

Thanks, Nukemall!

What's this show about?
It's about a Scouser, a hologram, an evolved cat, an android and a senile computer stuck on a large red mining ship/small green transport. Comedy ensues.

I am suprised the Americans actually understand it ... apart from the humour , I live pretty close to Liverpool so I can understand scousers , I am suprised you get what craig charles is actually saying ... Or do you have subtitles :)

Sir, unless you are indeed a 'Scally' I don't think you'll truly understand Scousers. Maybe Scouse, but not Scousers.

The slang in Red Dwarf (or any other BBC show on US TV for that matter) has never been all that difficult for me to understand. When the culture is taken in context, it's not too hard to translate. Hell, I didn't even think the Pikeys (sp?) in Snatch were too hard to follow.

Then again, I've been watching Monty Python, The Prisoner and Doctor Who since I was a toddler.

I confess, I don't always understand ever single word that is being said. But it doesn't happen enough to interfere with my enjoyment of the episode.

If they really do go for a plot where they follow the characters before they all get together on Red Dwarf, how will they fit the cat in? :confused:

They have to have the cat. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back