• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Prisoner Remake AMC

Sindatur

Regular
Anyone watch the first two hours last night? I set it to record, but, forgot to put it on the right channel :(

The first two hours is repeated tonight at 6PM, before the second two hours are premiered (And then tomorrow, they repeat the second two hours at 6pm and air the final 3 hours at 8PM). So, I guess I'll be recording the first 4 hours tonight, and probably watch it over the weekend.

Anybody who watched it, was it any good? Or was it an insult to the original?

I recorded it but didn't watch 'cause I had people over to watch a sweet-ass football game, but will probably check it out tonight because the football game that's on tonight is not sweet.

I watched both eps. I find them intriguing, mostly unpredictable, and with only a few superficial similarities to the original. I will watch them all. I watch almost no modern US TV drama, so I will leave it to others as to how it compares to what else is on the air now.

I can't really call it a remake, or even an homage, it is so different. I'm glad of that, as I'm sure I would not have liked a straight remake. Even if I like this a lot, all the way through, it can't replace the original in my esteem. McGoohan's show was AN original, so different from TV then, and yet so much a product of its times, filled with wonderful quirks.

Watched the whole thing last night. I didn't get it... I mean I got the jist of what was going on by the end but the whole thing didn't really gel for me. It was something different on TV, which is cool, and I enjoyed the ride well enough. Basically I liked it, didn't love it. The ending was pretty gutsy and/or depressing.

I saw it all. So, Six sells out in this one...

The Village was a sort of computer simulation, including some real people, like 6, 2, 2's wife, and some computer-only entities, like 2's son. 2 was getting tired of living in the simulation, as was his wife (a part-timer,) and 6 was recruited to take over the helm at The Village.

The Village was a sort of computer simulation, including some real people, like 6, 2, 2's wife, and some computer-only entities, like 2's son. 2 was getting tired of living in the simulation, as was his wife (a part-timer,) and 6 was recruited to take over the helm at The Village.
I was confused by the ending though. When #2 came home to his wife, it seemed like he could only be in one either the Village or in real life, he didn't function in both places at the same time, yet at other times, he seemed to be guiding #6 to his final decision to take over as #6. The other characters all seemed to function in both Real Life and the Village at the same time? Or did I lose track of flashbacks and real time? Was that just because #2 was the Controller? It actually seemed like #2's wife was the Controller?

I was confused by the ending though. When #2 came home to his wife, it seemed like he could only be in one either the Village or in real life, he didn't function in both places at the same time, yet at other times, he seemed to be guiding #6 to his final decision to take over as #6. The other characters all seemed to function in both Real Life and the Village at the same time? Or did I lose track of flashbacks and real time? Was that just because #2 was the Controller? It actually seemed like #2's wife was the Controller?

#2's wife created the Village with her brain, where she linked people's consciousnesses. It's like therepeutic telepathic virtual reality.

#2's wife created the Village with her brain, where she linked people's consciousnesses. It's like therepeutic telepathic virtual reality.
I got that part of it. I just didn't get why it seemed (From #2's ending scene coming back to his wife in the apartment) like #2 was trapped in the Village, where as everyone else seemed to be both a Prisoner in the Village and living their real life. Or was #2's comment because the Wife was the one who was trapped and non-functional in real life?

#2's wife was a sort of binding force, that is why the holes began to open in the Village when she was conscious in the Village, and thus not concentrating on binding the Village together. But, clearly computers are a part of creating the Village, as we see the control room, with all the screens, and see #6 in the control room at the end. It strikes me that this is a bit like Draal and the great machine.

I think that at least the interior of #2's RL and simulated abodes were much the same. It is not clear to me that we see people both active in RL, and the Village at the same time, but it is also not clear to me that they are not. What I think is that for a living person top be in the Village, their consciousness is active there, but not in RL at the same time.

Last edited:
#2's wife was a sort of binding force, that is why the holes began to open in the Village when she was conscious in the Village, and thus not concentrating on binding the Village together. But, clearly computers are a part of creating the Village, as we see the control room, with all the screens, and see #6 in the control room at the end. It strikes me that this is a bit like Draal and the great machine.

I think that at least the interior of #2's RL and simulated abodes were much the same. It is not clear to me that we see people both active in RL, and the Village at the same time, but it is also not clear to me that they are not. What I think is that for a living person top be in the Village, their consciousness is active there, but not in RL at the same time.
That's what I thought, but, I wasn't sure if there was discrepancies or not. So, OK, I'll accept that, and rest my brain, LOL.

Oh, my, this was painful to watch. Painful and agonizing, particularly with two hours a night. I had misgivings about this one, but I got the short straw and ended up having to review it for Republibot, and it was much, much worse than I'd anticipated, and rather incoherent. It really shouldn't have been called "The Prisoner," as aside from a few trappings and in-jokes, it had nothing to do with the original (Which is what the BBC said when they begged off of this project two years ago.) I reviewed the whole thing in detail, but it was grueling to do.

BTW, the exact nature of the simulation was never really explained, but it appears the whole thing was taking place in #1's head - whcih is to say, her brain was being used as the 'host' for the whole thing? Maybe? It's deliberately vague.

I don't think #2's wife was ever actually identified as #1. I think the schoolchildren were being accurate when they said there is no #1.

Latest posts

Members online

Back