• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Copies of New Harry Potter Book Stolen

I was surprised at how quickly these got were caught.

I had actually avoided rereading the books too far out but lost out in a rushed search for something to read yesterday. If only "Uncle Vanya" had been ten pages loner I would have been set.

Weren't they trying to sell a copy of the book for something like 50,000 dollars? What kind of a nutjob would buy a book for 50,000 illegally when all they have to do is wait another month or so to get it when it comes out? :confused:

It's not like they were trying to sell it to private people :D .. they were trying to sell it to newspapers and tabloids and such. For those, that amount wouldn't be too much.

Could a tabloid print what they learned from it? Couldn't that get them into some serious hot water?

Yea, I could see a tabloid easily paying that much if they felt they could keep the money they made from scooping it.

It's so silly, doesn't anyone want to be surprised anymore? :)

Actually the Sun (Or maybe just the reporter involved), did get into a bit of trouble last time around. They leaked a mirror image of a page from the ending train scene, which had Arthur Weasley in it, I believe, so for those who saw that page, they knew the snake bite wouldn't do Arthur in. Of course, I guess that's still considerably better than blurting out who the death was and it made me even more concerned that it might be Molly since there was no site of her on that page, and why else wouldn't she be at the train to meet the kids (She was my front runner for the death).

So if someone had managed to buy a stolen book for 50,000 dollars (or pounds), could they have profited from it?

Or would they just end up in debt due to the huge fines? :LOL:

Well, there's a big betting thing going on over in the UK about who the HBP is. So, if you got ahold of a copy, and didn't get caught, you could win the "Horse race", which could be quite profitable, depending upon who is it, and what the odds are.

If you're a rag like the Sun or the National Enquirer, it might be good for business if you ended up with a copy 2 books in a row, so yea, you might be able to profit there as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back