• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New TV season

My memory for the start of the fall TV season only goes back to the early 60s, but then it was always after Labor Day, after school started. Even then, there were sometimes summer replacements, but those were usually shows that they had made several eps of, then decided they wouldn't make it, and cancelled without showing. To prevent them from being a total loss, they ran them in the summer. I don't know if any of these prejudged flops attracted enough of an audience to get a new life. I do remember one excellent, short, summer replacement series from about 61 or 62, called Great Ghost Tales. And I think maybe the Bugs Bunny Show started in the summer, but if it did, it was a rare exception.

The Fall season start HAS been getting later. Wasn't X Files starting in October? There were a few other late starters too, but I don't really pay much attention to the new fall shows any more, since I expect them to all be crap. If I hear of something that appeals to me, then I will tune it in, at least to check it out, but my expectations are very low. And, if I actually DO like something, like Push, Nevada, it is usually cancelled quickly!

I think X-Files may have started in November towards the end. 24 is starting towards the end of October this year.

But that's because Fox has the baseball playoffs.

I don't mind 24 starting late, because it just means there will be a higher concentration of new back-to-back episodes. Given the show's format and style, they can't even show repeats anyway.

Yea I've always liked that about 24. There are never repeats, and it almost runs straight through, begining to end. With a couple exceptions throughout the year for holidays or special events on Fox. Overall its one show that you can count on to be a new episode every week.

I think X-Files may have started in November towards the end. 24 is starting towards the end of October this year.

But that's because Fox has the baseball playoffs.

That's exactly it. Until the last few years, the baseball playoffs were always split between multiple networks, so there wasn't as much need to push shows back.

Fox doesn't want to start showing something for two or three weeks then have it vanish for the next three weeks, since they figure it would ruin any momentum the show had built up. So they'll push the debut back until it can run without interruption.

My memory for the start of the fall TV season only goes back to the early 60s, but then it was always after Labor Day, after school started.
Exactly! I thought I remembered that.
The Fall season start HAS been getting later. Wasn't X Files starting in October?
The X-Files may have been one of the shows that started the October trend, I dunno... now it's the Simpsons, which doesn't start until November.

I am looking forward to seeing the new show from the creators of JAGas well checking out 24's new season .All there isn't else I have found so far that interests me .

I saw the "pilot" for NCIS when they worked it into JAG as a 2 parter. It didn't impress me. Seriously, it was like CSI except in Military Uniforms. Nothing special as a first impression...

CBS will be sticking to crime and law shows.
Yea have you noticed this? Like EVERY show on CBS is either crime or law. They are premiering this new show NCIS which is a spinoff on JAG. Basically their mindset was this: "Let's take our two more popular shows JAG and CSI and combine them!" So now we have CSI, CSI:Miami (same shit, different city) and NCIS (same shit, but in the military). How original! :rolleyes:

And then you have 'The Peacemaker' on USA, with Tom Berenger. Same stuff, different time period. Country Western CSI. :rolleyes:

Rommie ;)

And then you have 'The Peacemaker' on USA, with Tom Berenger. Same stuff, different time period. Country Western CSI. :rolleyes:

Western CSI (relatively old west).

Nothing to roll your eyes at there. It's a good show. :) Tom Berenger as the Marshall is good. Finch is good. The girl who plays the coroner is good. Even the Marshall's sidekick (the kid who wants to be a marshall) is good, and he got some play on 9/24. I even like the music. With The Dead Zone, Monk, and now Peacemakers, USA has been one of the few bright spots on TV. Kudos to them! :)

BTW, Julie Benz guest starred (though not as "Darla") on Wednesday's episode (Sept. 24 ep.) which I caught yesterday. Man, does she ever look great in period costumes! :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back