B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Classic: Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Babylon Squared
A -- Excellent 43 95.56%
B -- Good 2 4.44%
C -- Average 0 0%
D -- Poor 0 0%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12th 21, 23:50   #41
Kraig
First One

Re: EpDis: Chrysalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
I finally finished my recaps (well... the gathering is still missing, but I think I'll only take some snippets from it, to show Lyta and her interaction with Kosh and maybe GKar and Lyta. remember, my primary goal is not to make a "proper" recap, but a short reference to all the major plotpoints to get my pals back on track fast...ish.

Anyways: I saw JMS commentary on this episode and he mentioned, that for Clarks inauguration they used a picture of Jonson's inauguration as a reference. I didn't get why (as a European, I've know glue about US presidents). So I skimmed over the Wikipedia articles of JFK and Jonson, and I do get why Santiago stands for JFK, as JFK was very peace oriented, but I fail how Clark is a reference to Jonson, as he did continue JFKs path, if I didn't miss anything.

Any insights from US citizens on this?

When Kennedy was assassinated the US felt a shock following the murder of the president while in office. I think JMS wanted to achieve the same sense of shock after Santiago's unexpected death. I don't consider Clark to be anything like Johnson.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, 26 July 1920

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No. No."
-- Craig T. Nelson

Last edited by Kraig; October 12th 21 at 23:54.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 00:01   #42
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Anyways: I saw JMS commentary on this episode and he mentioned, that for Clarks inauguration they used a picture of Jonson's inauguration as a reference. I didn't get why (as a European, I've know glue about US presidents). So I skimmed over the Wikipedia articles of JFK and Jonson, and I do get why Santiago stands for JFK, as JFK was very peace oriented, but I fail how Clark is a reference to Jonson, as he did continue JFKs path, if I didn't miss anything.

Any insights from US citizens on this?
I think it was more to evoke the shocked feeling the US had after Kennedy's assassination more than any commentary about Johnson.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 06:09   #43
Moonface
Ranger

ah! That makes sense8

Thanks guys!
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 13:20   #44
Looney
Telepath

Yeah one of the first national images of the time was that picture of Johnson being sworn in. It was meant to show the public that there was stability in the leadership. The only comparison necessary was an act of stabilization done in a time of crisis. There is zero real life connection between Clark and Johnson that I've ever seen or heard beyond the concept of them taking over after their predecessor is killed, but I'm no expert on Johnson.
Old October 13th 21, 16:00   #45
Springer
Telepath

I think I'm right in saying that scene of Clark being sworn in was shot on the 30th anniversary of the real event? Another of those Babylon 5 coincidences.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 16:09   #46
babylonfan
Commander

Dutch citizen here, but just to drop my two (euro-) cents.

What JMS meant was meant literally. Not figuratively. The shot of Johnson’s inauguration is pretty well known in the USA. By copying the staging JMS tried to pull some emotional strings. It likely would have gone over the heads of most foreign viewers, but for those that lived through the JFK shooting it might work.

Just compare these photos of Johnson’s inauguration and Clark’s inauguration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...ember_1963.jpg

https://i.stack.imgur.com/stsYO.jpg
babylonfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 20:20   #47
Moonface
Ranger

yeah! While reading about Johnson I saw the picture JMS was talking about. And as Santiago was a good president who wanted to to improve the relations to aliens, I saw parallels to JFKs mission to end "war itself". That's why I searched for more references, as I assumed that this was a political commentary and Johnson might have had a similar nimbus as Clark has. But when I couldn't find anything I was confused. SO the explanation about the pulling of the emotional strings seems to be all JMS was going for.

Thanks for the insights
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 21, 22:19   #48
LateArrival
Lurker

Quote:
yeah! While reading about Johnson I saw the picture JMS was talking about. And as Santiago was a good president who wanted to to improve the relations to aliens, I saw parallels to JFKs mission to end "war itself". That's why I searched for more references, as I assumed that this was a political commentary and Johnson might have had a similar nimbus as Clark has. But when I couldn't find anything I was confused. SO the explanation about the pulling of the emotional strings seems to be all JMS was going for.
Greetings. First time posting so am a bit on the nervous side.

Was recently rereading the B5 script books, and recalled that in the commentary section for Chrysalis JMS mentioned this scene. Beyond the visual cues to Johnson being sworn in, JMS wrote: "I wanted the sense of dislocation and shock that followed in the wake of the JFK assassination, the nearly subliminal feeling that with this one event, the wheels have come off the future." If he were to recreate a similar scene for a reboot, wonder if he would revisit this or go in another direction?
Old October 13th 21, 22:41   #49
babylonfan
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateArrival View Post
If he were to recreate a similar scene for a reboot, wonder if he would revisit this or go in another direction?
Assuming he goes for somewhat recent events, there are not too many truly iconic events that would evoke an emotional reaction. Especially if the scene has to be internationally recognisable.

Only one I can think of right now would be Bush’s speech from the WTC rubble. Though I suspect that would be considered too gratuitous and/or politically motivated by many. (of course nowadays everything can be interpreted as being political by some, but that’s a whole different discussion)
babylonfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th 21, 00:19   #50
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateArrival View Post

Greetings. First time posting so am a bit on the nervous side.
'Bout time you showed up! Sheesh...
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote