B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old October 6th 21, 11:43   #11
Ubik
Commander

Re: Dune

Pretty excited for this. I think Villeneuve has done some good work in the past, I especially enjoyed The Arrival. I disliked Blade Runner II: Electric Boogaloo, but more for the script than the direction. It definitely looked and felt the part, but I struggled to care about any one character or indeed the convoluted mess of a plot.

Genuinely intrigued to see Dune. I'm a massive fan of the Frank Herbert novels (don't get me started on the Brian Herbert books...). I even have a soft spot for the cut to ribbons Lynch film.

Will see it upon release in the UK.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th 21, 04:16   #12
hypatia
First One

That's how I tended to feel about it all, too. Although I don't know much of the director's work, Arrival was great and the Blade Runner sequel just didn't really go anywhere, but that's not the director's fault. I've heard a lot of buzz about what a great director he is. And Lynch's film had problems, but it had some good acting so it wasn't a complete loss of time.

And by only covering about half of the first book there should be time for development/
Old October 11th 21, 16:33   #13
Recoil
First One

I can't wait for this version of Dune. While there's reason to be skeptical about it, from everything I've seen and read, this may be an excellent "Part 1" movie. I'm hoping for the best, and will catch it on HBOMax as soon as it drops.
Old October 18th 21, 00:16   #14
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

The difficulty of a "Part 1" movie is that you can't tell if it really did its job or not until you've seen and judged Part 2.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th 21, 10:46   #15
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
The difficulty of a "Part 1" movie is that you can't tell if it really did its job or not until you've seen and judged Part 2.

Normally I'd agree, but when it's based on a well-circulated book, and had a prior movie and TV mini-series versions of said book, I think it will be easier to judge if you have read/seen any of those.
Old October 18th 21, 11:44   #16
Springer
Telepath

The last part1/part 2 film I saw was 'It', and Chapter 1 worked because it stood perfectly well on its own – if they'd never made Chapter 2, it wouldn't really have changed how much of a success Chapter 1 was. I'm not sure how they'll split Dune's story up, but I think if part 1 is made to stand on its own, at least to some degree, it will be better received.

Seems an awful lot of money to spend on making a movie if it isn't going to have some sense of conclusion, given there's no guarantee yet that part 2 will be made!
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st 21, 00:34   #17
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I will also admit that it's one of my own rules that "no ending is better than a bad ending," so I partially withdraw my earlier semi-objection. (How's that for hedging my bets?)

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote