B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 28th 21, 08:24   #21
Ubik
Commander

Re: NEW Babylon 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
Can anyone explain to me what a CW is?

As in
"To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW."
- JMS
It's an American TV channel partly owned by WB and partly owned by CBS I think. Tends to cater towards teen audiences, shows are often a bit low budget. They've had the most success with adaptations of DC comics properties for series:

Arrow, The Flash, Lois and Clark and other stuff like Jane the Virgin, Supernatural, Riverdale, Sabrina reboot.

I was instantly a bit concerned, but I think JMS will have opted for this deal for a reason, probably a greater degree of control for a less glitzy budget. Jury's out until the reboot airs I guess. As long as it isn't wall to wall pleather and a sexy young cast, I am game.

JMS also confirmed that the individual who had blocked past B5 reboots / new content at WB is now gone.

Last edited by Ubik; September 28th 21 at 08:28.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 08:55   #22
Bester
First One

It's an understandable fear. But, as I understand it, WB will be producing the series, with CW simply distributing. So, as long as they don't give JMS any stupid TNT-style notes, we should be fine.
Old September 28th 21, 09:13   #23
Springer
Telepath

Whatever its budget, I think the new show needs to look as good as The Expanse or Discovery if it is to compete with them.

Either way, it should mean that this message board will become a much busier place!

I note that the only confirmed character so far is Sheridan - not Sinclair. I am assuming that, as JMS has intimated previously, characters whose actors have passed away won't be rebooted. So there will be no Delenn, no Garibaldi, no G'Kar, no Franklin, no Vir etc in this new show? That in itself will drastically change the storyline from the original.

Last edited by Springer; September 28th 21 at 09:16.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 09:23   #24
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post

It's an American TV channel partly owned by WB and partly owned by CBS I think.
:/ so streaming from the get go won't be a thing in Europe I guess
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 10:09   #25
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I will of course watch it.

But - I have a lot of trepidation going into this, maybe even a little sadness. It's hard to put into words and maybe I need to cogitate on it for longer, but the original B5 is very dear to me. Maybe my fear is that the reboot will eclipse the original in people's minds, just by being newer and flashier, and my instinct is to be protective of the original.

I also find reboots to be, generally, a creatively bankrupt concept. Of course there are exceptions and some reboots do work out, like BSG, but I would rather see JMS produce a completely new space-based show.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is good. It might be hard for me to warm to it at first, and I think the new show will have to work to justify its existence. If it can do that, then I will be in all the way.

And, it might open the door for merchandise related to the original show. At least get the blu-ray out...

PS. There were two rumoured projects, this but also the animated show. Hopefully this hasn't nixed the possibility of the animated show.
Thanks. This is probably the most thoughtful post I've seen about people's fears. I understand the impulse to be protective of the original but I'm glad to see that you're open to the new one.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 11:51   #26
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Quote:

I have seen plenty of CW shows pop up on Netflix. I feel like distribution will be fairly global.
Old September 28th 21, 12:01   #27
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I will of course watch it.

But - I have a lot of trepidation going into this, maybe even a little sadness. It's hard to put into words and maybe I need to cogitate on it for longer, but the original B5 is very dear to me. Maybe my fear is that the reboot will eclipse the original in people's minds, just by being newer and flashier, and my instinct is to be protective of the original.

I also find reboots to be, generally, a creatively bankrupt concept. Of course there are exceptions and some reboots do work out, like BSG, but I would rather see JMS produce a completely new space-based show.

I will keep my fingers crossed that this is good. It might be hard for me to warm to it at first, and I think the new show will have to work to justify its existence. If it can do that, then I will be in all the way.

And, it might open the door for merchandise related to the original show. At least get the blu-ray out...

PS. There were two rumoured projects, this but also the animated show. Hopefully this hasn't nixed the possibility of the animated show.
It does bode well, that in his tweet JMS mentioned the B5 reboot in the same breath as Westworld and BSG. This means the show will be a drastic overhaul, which I can totally get behind. We'll be getting something very different, and I'd wager, nothing like a straight remake that some fans seems to think we're getting.
Old September 28th 21, 12:25   #28
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have seen plenty of CW shows pop up on Netflix. I feel like distribution will be fairly global.
your words in Valens ear
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th 21, 13:38   #29
Ubik
Commander

I must admit it is nice discussing this here, Facebook and Reddit are unbearable, it's a torrent of 'noooo, this will ruin everything' and 'I will raze the earth and salt it before I watch a show with a new cast', etc, etc...
Old September 28th 21, 14:23   #30
AntonyF
Administrator

I have many reservations.

How do you replace that cast? How can you have Delenn or G'Kar without the unparalleled people that played them?

I thought JMS has told the story that he wanted to tell, I don't understand reopening it.

I have reservations about the CW. I guess it makes sense that WB has the rights to B5 so CW is their network (I assume that's still the case). CW was formed because even a big franchise like Star Trek couldn't keep UPN afloat. CW is also teen drama through and through. I don't see sci-fi being their natural fit.

Then there's the history. Didn't he say no more as WB kept dilly dallying about further straight to DVD movies? Will they have the patience to do another five year show? They haven't even bothered to Blu-ray edition it, yet they suddenly have faith in the franchise for a new iteration?