• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Riftwar Saga

A_Ranger

Regular
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

Has anyone else read Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga? I finished it recently and am not sure exactly how I feel about it. Parts of it were so good and interesting, and then there were parts that were so underwhelming or just left me scratching my head. I was really into Magician:Apprentice, following Pug's journey, and then all the sudden he disappears and we don't see him again for a long awhile. What the heck? It really threw me off because the book made me feel like the saga was being told through his eyes, and that this was his journey. From that moment on everything just felt off slightly. I never got 100% comfortable with it. I don't particularly know why in this case I couldn't accept that, because it's not like its the only book to do that. LOTR springs to mind, but I don't feel like LOTR misled me.

I also felt like too many important character developments either happened too quickly or "off-screen" (because of collapsing a story spanning a long time). For instance, Tomas's grappling with Ashen-Shugar seemed way too short and therefore way too easy. And seeing as how he became a huge part of the story, I felt like there needed to be more struggle. Or Pug's relationship with Katala. A great deal of time was spent developing his relationship with Carline, but then quickly he meets Katala, falls in love, and marries he? Not only did this marriage seem to happen to quickly, but I felt so misled by the whole Carline thing. I get that it was supposed to be their first love thing, and each moved on, but I didn't feel the book set me up for that. It felt like it was setting them up to ultimately get together in the end.

The climax/ending was underwhelming too. Armengar was such an epic, awesome battle that the final battle felt really dull and anticlimactic. Felt like Armengar and the final battle should have been combined somehow. All the Macros/Pug/Tomas stuff at the end was cool, but still Tomas's battle was a little underwhelming. I loved the final reveals, but I thought way too much information was left for the end of the series. It should have parsed out more, because I had questions for far too long, and learning so much at once at the end was a little overwhelming.

There were a lot of things I wish the book had spent more time on, and some of those are just things that I personally wanted to see more of, but can understand that it wasn't necessary for the story and things needed to be sped along. But there were a lot of things that got short shrift that I felt were necessary to the story, and so the story didn't always affect me properly. And the series ended way too quickly. It wrapped stuff up in too few pages.

When I first started reading the book I was totally underwhelmed, and yet something compelled me to keep going... now, looking back on it (and the even-less-appealing sequels), I think my first impression should have warned me off.

It's odd, though: I really liked the Tomas/Ashen-Shugar idea, especially as it echoed one of my favorite elements of B5 (one of the ancient old ones chooses to side with the young 'uns), and the sieges of Crydee and Armengar were excellent... but yeah, the rest?

Admittedly Feist took the series in an interesting and atypical direction by having a heavily Asian-themed culture in a sword-and-sorcery series; that was new. But again, the rest...

Admittedly Feist took the series in an interesting and atypical direction by having a heavily Asian-themed culture in a sword-and-sorcery series; that was new. But again, the rest...

Actually, I've read that Feist wasn't new with that, among a lot of other things. I haven't really checked into it, but I hear there's a fair bit of controversy about it. Feist borrowed heavily from another author's work and has been called out on it, but because the other author wasn't as well known and the publisher was small, nothing legal ever came of it. That's what I've heard anyway. Who knows.

Glad to know I'm not a alone being underwhelmed by it.

I quite enjoyed my first reading of Magician although I was only 15 at the time.I think it helped that the book came out in one volume over here which helped with the break in character devolopement as we didn't need to wait for a new book to see what was going on.

As for further explainations they do come in later books but contradict just about everything before so not sure if that is good at all.

I found the Empire books with Janny Wurts very entertaining as well as his other collaberations,in particular Honoured Enemy and Jimmy the Hand.

Not only did he not invent Orientals in fantasy he stole Elves,Dwarves,Trolls ect too :devil:

Yeah, well, that's basically to be expected.

Some very fascinating and engaging characters and events wandering around in an otherwise totally uninspired world -- and not exactly well-written, either.

I quite enjoyed my first reading of Magician although I was only 15 at the time.I think it helped that the book came out in one volume over here which helped with the break in character devolopement as we didn't need to wait for a new book to see what was going on.

I think that makes a huge difference. Even though I started the second book right afterward and didn't have to wait, the fact they are 2 separate books here makes a psychological impact. They become separated in my mind, and it definitely messes with the flow. They should definitely be published as one book.

I think that makes a huge difference. Even though I started the second book right afterward and didn't have to wait, the fact they are 2 separate books here makes a psychological impact. They become separated in my mind, and it definitely messes with the flow. They should definitely be published as one book.

I also should ask which version of the book you read.I know of three versions,the original,an extended version with various parts deleted out of the original in order to reduce the amount of pages (I hate it when they do that) and a "rewritten" version that has a fair bit of the extras in from the second version and certain sections redone in part or whole.

How to get milage out of a book eh :LOL:

I also should ask which version of the book you read.I know of three versions,the original,an extended version with various parts deleted out of the original in order to reduce the amount of pages (I hate it when they do that) and a "rewritten" version that has a fair bit of the extras in from the second version and certain sections redone in part or whole.

For Apprentice I had an original (so original the cover soon feel apart). The rest I had the extended editions.

For Apprentice I had an original (so original the cover soon feel apart). The rest I had the extended editions.

Do you mean the second half of what I would call Magician was extended or did you also get extended version of Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon :confused:

The latter two were never available as extended editions in the UK.

Do you mean the second half of what I would call Magician was extended or did you also get extended version of Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon :confused:

I had the second half and the last 2 books as extended editions...thought he last two books weren't very long so I can't imagine what could have been extended...well, okay, I can imagine some things, but that's for the NC-17 forum...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back