• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Books

Even now, a decade later, I can name any number of people I personally know who've never seen B5, who won't watch it because they feel it's "A ripoff' and repeat various lies and misassumptions from back in the day. It's annoying.
And why does that annoy you. An insignificant minority of sci-fi fans. You compared them to (religious) fundamentalists – and I can see the similarities.

And you do of course know who usually reacts to fundamentalists, who hold up their extreme views to demonstrate x, y or z . . . . . . . . yup fundamentalists on the other ‘side’ wanting to justify their extreme views.

B5 was made regardless of what happened (real or myth). If some folks refuse to watch it for whatever reason (real or myth) then that’s their loss.

Both brand names benefited from the publicity gained by a few hundred “feuding” fans.

Got to admit, I didn't know paramount settled out of court or even that legal action had been started. Where does that come from?

Anyway, sorry for morphing the thread. Let's get back on topic here....uhm...oh, I know: what B5 books would you *like* to see? If they were writing new novels, what aspects of the B5 Universe would you like to see them explore?

Lyta and G'Kar's adventures

Teep War fully explored

Crusade completion

Got to admit, I didn't know paramount settled out of court or even that legal action had been started. Where does that come from?
As far as I know, this is completely false. No legal action was ever taken or even begun because it was felt that it would only serve to destroy both shows.

Jan

Anyway, sorry for morphing the thread. Let's get back on topic here....uhm...oh, I know: what B5 books would you *like* to see? If they were writing new novels, what aspects of the B5 Universe would you like to see them explore?

[size=+10]"CRUSADE" !!! [/size]

If anyone has B5 books they no longer want, I suggest you check out BookMooch (bookmooch.com). It's a website that allows you to give away books to people who want to "mooch" them, and allows you to "mooch" books off others. You get points for giving away books and use points to mooch books from others. All you pay for is to ship books you are giving away.

I just added a few out of print B5 books to my wishlist, and other people ahead of me are asking for those books too. So, if anyone has gotten their uses out B5 books and wants to share with fellow B5 fans, you can make them available at BookMooch!

I need more Crusade, too. It was going to go to some deep, dark places and JMS is sooo good at that. I would also be happy to see it as a comic, but JMS keeps ruling these possibilities out, for reasons I do not understand. Such a bummer.

Raw Shark

"Such a bummer."
Raw Shark

I need more Crusade, too. It was going to go to some deep, dark places and JMS is sooo good at that. I would also be happy to see it as a comic, but JMS keeps ruling these possibilities out, for reasons I do not understand. Such a bummer.

There's still the possibility that he'll do the comic for Wildstorm, I think. As for other projects, that would be up to WB because he doesn't own B5.

Jan

Obviously the B5 graphic novel is on the back burner while he focuses on things that will actually sell well. I enjoyed some of the B5 comics, but clearly there's room for improvement. Last I heard, he was going to make the graphic novel about Earth, Mars, Minbar and a conspiracy, which sounds an awful lot like the first four issues from the mid-nineties. I'm glad he's tried doing more B5 over the years, but when each project falls through, he comes up with something else that's totally unrelated to what came before it, and often not as good. Crusade, however, I just loved. The Lost Tales brings up a whole new storyline about a future war between Earth and the Centauri, implies that it's not the first war they've had, and gives practically no details. I'm assuming this would have been developed to some extent in the other Lost Tales installments, but it just seems like he's going off on a tangent, not wanting to try the same storyline twice. Even when the storyline was a really good one...

More Crusade! And I'll keep saying it til my dying day, and at this rate it looks like I'll have to.

Raw Shark

"If you're the new messiah, I'll be the one to drive in the nails."
Marshal Law

B5 was made regardless of what happened (real or myth). If some folks refuse to watch it for whatever reason (real or myth) then that’s their loss.

Both brand names benefited from the publicity gained by a few hundred “feuding” fans.

I dropped DS9 (based upon not liking and getting fed-up with DS9.) before I even knew that B5 existed. In fact, I went to VOY in-between DS9 and B5. It was only when a friend knew that I was getting fed-up with VOY that he recommended B5, and it was like a breath of fresh air. It wasn't until years later when I found out about the B5/DS9 situation.

Back