• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why it will be unlikely to see a B5 movie

Ellison only did two cameos on B5 that I can recall - as the voice of "Sparky", the station AI system, and as a PsiCorps medical type assisting Bester in his interrogation of Garibaldi. (His only on-screen appearance.) Of course, he did "appear" as himself twice - once on the cover of a mock-up of his never-to-be-written autobiography, once in a barely audible station announcement about a book signing. Apparently Harlan plans to be alive in the 2260s and still making public appearances. Maybe that book signing was for another volume of Dangerous VIsions. (I'm pretty sure about this last item, but not 100% certain. I know they recorded such an announcement with the intention in burying it in the general background chatter of ship's arrivals and the like, but I'm not sure they ever did or, if they did, if it was clear enough to be heard.)

Interesting.

Harlan also did the voice of Zooty in Day of the Dead.

I thought I read somewhere that Ellison also did uncredited work as the ISN reporter voiceover at the end of "The Fall of Night". Don't know if that's true, but that voice certainly wasn't one of the regular ISN reporters.

JMS has recently posted on a sense of 'closure' with regards to the published scripts...

http://www.jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17443

http://www.jmsnews.net/msg.aspx?id=1-17442

> "To finish the job properly" ... I've been wondering for a while now
> if this exercise has a degree of closure about it for you. If that's
> the case (and I realise it's a big if and I could be completely wrong)
> could that mean that you won't play in the B5 universe again - that
> it's truly finished? On a purely selfish note, I hope not (I really
> would like to see a resolution to Crusade). If you decide it is the
> end of B5 though, I'll look forward to other, fresh material from you.
> Trish
> >

It certainly puts full stop to the work done on the original series.
If anything else comes after, that's all well and good, but by putting
this out is the last thing I knew I had to do with the original show.
Make the show, do the trick, then open up the magic box and let
everyone poke around inside to see how the trick was done...so that
somebody else can learn from it and do the same down the road...which
was always the intent, as I've said many times over the years.

Neither am I, especially since movies (1.5 hrs. to 2 hrs.) do not play to JMS's strengths, which are longer stories that take place over the course of an entire TV season (16.13 hrs per season, at 44 minutes per episode).

In The Beginning, anyone?

Neither am I, especially since movies (1.5 hrs. to 2 hrs.) do not play to JMS's strengths, which are longer stories that take place over the course of an entire TV season (16.13 hrs per season, at 44 minutes per episode).

In The Beginning, anyone?

Oh sure, mention the only one that I give a 10 out of 10. (I give A Call to Arms a 9 out of 10.)

<u>Going from worst to ~mediocre~.</u>

To Live and Die in Starlight, anyone? (99% awful. Somebody must have slipped JMS some mind altering substances when he wrote the scrip, and/or held a loved one hostage or something. <s> If we'd just have gotten a resumption of Crusade, this all could have gone sooooooo much better, but nooooooooo, Universal/Vivendi and WB [Rat bastards!])

The River of Souls, anyone? (Actually, TLaDiS makes this look quite good. TRoS looks better with repeated viewings. At least TRoS feels like a story in the B5 universe.)

Thirdspace, anyone? (Mediocre with great CGI. Some not-so-good acting in places. Feels out of place in the B5 show storyline.).

The Gathering, anyone? (Admittedly, they were all new to this, the B5 universe, at the time. The basic plot feels right, though. Some awful acting in places. Some of those aliens were straight out of the Star Wars (1977) bar scene.)

Latest posts

Members online

Back