• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Tracking the campaign against recasting

Za_Ha_Dum

Regular
I believe it is important to keep track on this important campaign. Therefore I suggest everybody who mailed the letters inform in this thread.

I sent two days ago four letters (2 to WB Headquarter and 2 to England studio). Two of them signed by me, and the other two signed by a friend who is another B5 fan.
Besides those letters a friend sent two letters from her town.

Therefore, for the moment BRAZIL is contributing with 6 (six) letters.

Regards,

Cadu

I think you'd get a better measure posting something at JMSnews or his moderated group. I recently signed on to the Warner Brothers messageboard and it seems to have a bunch of people posting that they have written, as well.

Treat this like a takeover bid. Buy the place, kick out the existing staff and put your own people in.

This is similar to what happened to the Thunderbird movie. OK, the existing staff were puppets but that is a minor detail.

The tv suits and the film suits are different people.

Maybe we should all buy Warner Bros, kick out the suits, and get the right people to play the characters. :LOL:

A major studio that could do project development and distibuting.........in the hands of a B5 crowd......frightening and oddly appealing.....no more half-arsed production of B5 universe stuff and we could fix a bunch of their other BS while at the helm.........ok, lets do it......who's got the 125 million in assets here.????

I suppose we could pool our resources......I got 15 dollars and at least 50 cents in my pocket....and maybe a Bazooka Joe for karma....... :D ..... :p..... :D

We could use my charm and good looks, but I don't think that would get us much more than a janitorial position. :LOL:

A major studio that could do project development and distibuting.........in the hands of a B5 crowd......frightening and oddly appealing.....no more half-arsed production of B5 universe stuff and we could fix a bunch of their other BS while at the helm.........ok, lets do it......who's got the 125 million in assets here.????

I suppose we could pool our resources......I got 15 dollars and at least 50 cents in my pocket....and maybe a Bazooka Joe for karma....... :D ..... :p..... :D

I just found 23 cents under the couch cushion, so count me in ;)

Hrrm, lessee, Christmas Shopping, planning for New Years... (fishes through pockets.) I have about 25cents to my name, but it's all yours!

Well, that's a couple pennies shy of $16.00, I can chip in those couple pennies, plus we've got RW's charm. Sounds like we're well on our way to a buyout.

Got 2 letters from California here (one from me, and one signed by my sweetie)

I'm usually not much of a letter-writer, but I just dropped my letter to Warner Brothers in the mail. Hopefully it will make it there. I know there have been reports of some letters getting returned.

I'm a white male, late 20s, in a geeky job, from the U.S., so unfortunately, I don't add much to the diversity aspect, but at least it's one more letter. I'm from Winston-Salem, NC, so maybe I can at least help out the suburban south demographic. ;)

I'm not writing any letters, and here's why:

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
I'm only about 40% convinced that all these rumors have anything to do with the REAL B5 movie that's being made. It makes NO SENSE for Warner Bros. to take a franchise and make a movie made up of characters we either barely know (Galen & Lochley), or don't know at all (everyone else).

It'd be like Paramount making "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" based entirely on the lives of a completely different crew, with Harry Mudd thrown in as the previously-recurring character whom we liked but didn't know much about, and maybe a cameo by Dr. McCoy.

JMS admitted he had to do a great deal of re-writing after Rick Biggs died. Why would Rick (and Tracy) be a part of a big-screen movie, and not their B5 compatriots?

IF IT *IS* TRUE...
If it is all true, there will be no delay in shooting for a complete re-write of the script. There will be no time to get the B5 crew on board. The movie will go ahead as planned, re-cast or not, and it will bomb.

Don't misunderstand me -- I have no doubt that it will be well-written. I've been reading JMS's Amazing Spider-Man issues this week and they are some of the best writing in a comic book series I've ever seen.

I want the movie to be a success as much as anybody else, but if all this truly is for real, and Lochley is the only face people will recognize, the movie will bomb, no matter how well the story is written. Even if Peter Woodward were able to change his schedule and return as Galen, it would be fantastic news... but while it might improve the movie some, it still doesn't excite me much. I had only 13 episodes and a TV movie to merely begin to understand Galen. I had five years to watch the B5 cast evolve.

If what we've all heard & read is true, no letter-writing campaign will change the fact that the movie will be full of faces we don't recognize. They will be characters we don't yet care about, and 2 hours in a theater ain't gonna get that job done. JMS knows this, which is why it's so hard for me to accept all the rumors as truth.

The funny thing about Galen is that the best way to "understand" the character, as you say, is the Technomage novel trilogy. Meaning the potential audience of people who really give a flying fuck about Galen are people who are:

1) B5 fans- already a tiny number, but at least devoted
2) Have seen and don't totally hate Crusade and A Call To Arms- an even tinier number. I only kind of started to appreciate Crusade after I read about its potential on the goddamn internet.
3) Probably have read the novels. This means we've now ventured into hardcore B5 fanaticism. So that's like, what, 40 of us? Hardly a great movie demo.

(Yes, I know my numbers are exaggerated and fictional, but you see my point).

Suffice it to say I share LH's viewpoint on this.

Well, I've stated several times here that it makes no sense, so, obviously I agree with that. But, if it IS true, although it wouldn't be rewritten, if it is still being cast, they might be persuaded to not recast the original cast members, but use them instead. BUT, I agree, it makes no sense whatsoever, for the reasons you stated.

they might be persuaded to not recast the original cast members, but use them instead.
The only original cast members who have been rumored to have anything to do with this movie are Lochley and Franklin, who is now written out. Nothing's been said to confirm (or deny) that any of the other original cast members are even in the movie, and considering the cast list that we HAVE seen, if it's for real, there isn't much room for many of them otherwise.

So either these Tyrell/Diane Baker/etc. characters are totally false and meant to keep us busy without learning about the REAL script, or they're genuine and will cause the movie to do poorly.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back