• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Unethical decision on Cruzade DVD

Za_Ha_Dum

Regular
I've listened to the commenary and features but I haven't heard anything
>really
>about what happened. Certainly not anything like the story we were told at
>Hawthorne. One wonders if they gave in and let JMS talk about what happened
>and then simply edited it out.

Yes, that's exactly what happened.

I sat down to watch the DVD set yesterday, having picked it up at the local
store, and went to the commentary. I'd put that information at the very start
of my commentary.

Now, understand: what I'd told WB was this....if you want me to do the
commentary, my requirement is that you let me tell what really happened. If
you want to use the commentary, you have to leve that in. If you don't want to
have that in, then don't use the commentary at all. Everybody agreed.

So I started it up...listened...and it was gone.

In its place is a segment taken from the on-camera interview.

This was the one tape they didn't send me for approval, which being busy I
didn't track back, but I was always told there wasn't a problem. At no time
did ANYONE from WB or New Wave Entertainment tell me that this was being done.

Doing these DVDs was the only way I had to date to get the bad taste of that
experience out of my mouth, the sheer dishonesty and rudeness of it all.

So much for that goal.

The term "furious" doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm normally a very quiet,
soft spoken kind of guy.

But last night I broke the sound barrier and the dictionary all at the same
time.

Furious.

You have no idea.

jms

I had to post this because I believe it is important to people be informed.

Also I wonder what is so terrible that WB/TNT wants to keep in secret. Does anybody know the whole story that JMS tried to explain thru Cruzade DVD extra? If yes, please post it here. Thanks.

Regards,

Cadu
Zahadum

Well, looks like KoshN got the answer to his question. Since this one got answered so quick, can someone ask "If the TMoS rumor is false, could he please shoot it down right away"

It seems to me that JMS is basically saying what he wants to say (or feels safe to say) when he says it in regards to TMoS. I don't think asking more specific questions is going to do much more than annoy him.

I still can't help but wonder if he wasn't dropping a small hint that the "EEP" might be coming sometime early next year.

If there is one thing I have learned to appreciate with this whole TMoS scene it is just how long a process making a movie can be. IIRC, JMS has been hinting that something very solid and definite has been on the verge of happening for over a year now.

Speaking of which, I can't wait for that Red Dwarf movie to be filmed soon. ;) :LOL:

Also I wonder what is so terrible that WB/TNT wants to keep in secret. Does anybody know the whole story that JMS tried to explain thru Cruzade DVD extra? If yes, please post it here.

Go to JMSNews.com . Click on the May postings and look for the Hawthorne Comic Con transcript dated May 8. It's in there. My computer's not behaving or I'd link it.

Jan

Well, looks like KoshN got the answer to his question. Since this one got answered so quick, can someone ask "If the TMoS rumor is false, could he please shoot it down right away"

If there's a way to f*ck things up, WB will find it. :mad:

Given what happened with the Crusade DVDs...
>"...and then simply edited it out." ... "Yes, that's exactly what happened."
...and this thing of WB wanting big stars in place of B5 regulars, one can almost see the nefarious, shadowy hand of TNT-Atlanta working behind the scenes. :mad:

Just to put the relevant part of the transcript mentioned by Jan and linked to by hypatia in the text of this thread....

I want the real truth to come out. Including the fact...I ran into some guys who worked for TNT about two years after Crusade went down. And they said, "Did you ever hear the rest of the story?" JMS: "What rest of the story?" TNT guys: "We found out, we did a research survey, a five year long study of our ratings. This was just after Crusade got going. And, we found out that the audience for B5 came for B5, then left afterward. And the TNT regular viewers didn't stick around for B5 and went away and came back. B5 wasn't adding to our viewer base." So...they decided to pull the plug on Crusade for that reason and use the money to buy another show. But they couldn't say that because they'd be in breach of contract with Warner Bros. So their job was to make it impossible for us so they could then say, "We aren't getting the show we want, our notes aren't being dealt with, therefore we aren't responsible, we're canceling the show, this is your nut Warner Bros., you take care of it." That is why all the notes became so egregious. If I had given them everything they wanted, they still would have pulled the plug. They just wanted out. Yeah, I want that information out there.

Damn stupid. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode (Itchy, Scratcy and Poochy), where Poochy is about to be written out of the cartoon, Homer goes nuts and adlibs some dialog. It looks like they are going to use what Homer had recorded, but then when the cartoon was broadcast, they overdubed Homer's dialog with some crap.

It's like dealing with sharks.

:LOL:
"Scott --

Since you have not replied to my email asking why the bait-and-switch was done
in regards to my commentary, I have no idea why this was done or how you plan
to rectify the situation.

Many fans are asking the same questions of me, but since I don't have this
information, I though the simplest and most efficient solution would be to give
them your email address so they can inquire of you directly. If I don't hear
back in a couple of days, I'll assume you don't mind."

jms

Oh, what fun we could have. :devil:

We have the name "Scott" to work with. Now check the credits and other sources for WB Home Video and the DVD production company that makes the special features.
Then we'll know WHO did this thing.

Heh, can you say denial of service attack? I guarentee that will probably be a result if that email gets out, not to mention just flooding his inbox with useless emails anyway.

Deliciously evil of JMS to write that email. I like it.

Denial of Service attacks are the domain of criminals. It doesn't help a cause at all. If you remember how SCO and Microsoft was hit, that was hardly the work of Open Source advocates. It was crackers attacking high-profile targers as advertisement for their DDoS blackmail services.

The intended audience was organized crime. The media reported it as if it was Linux people who did it, but the criminals knew.

Heh,

Dude relax, I wasn't saying *I* was going to do anything, shit I dont even know how. I was just saying that its likely some pissed off fan somewhere will do something rash with that information...more than just sending a bunch of emails.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back