• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Official Announcement for S2

I totally agree... very amateurish artwork, as I think I said earlier. Bah.

Plus with that artwork and that colour... they all look kind of frozen, or on ice. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And Sheridan's definitely the worst, probably because his is the largest face... actually the whole thing - the way the characters are positioned on the cover (one in the front, then others on his sides, smaller) is so... again, amateurish. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Which reminds me of the menus on the S1 set... do you think they've let someone's kid at WHV do all (or at least part of) the artwork on those sets? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Okay, I'll shut up now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just can't help it if my art critic education raises its ugly head every now and then. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Fortunately one doesn't have to look at the box too much.

On The Gathering/ItB DVD they had RED Babylon text, and same on the S1 box. Now they've changed it to blue. Yes I know that red text on blue cover is.. not-so-good, but to me the red Babylon text and the golden 5 is trademark of Babylon 5.

Well on the 54 cases that make up the entire UK run of VHS tapes (plus the original version of "The Gathering") the Babylon is in blue and white, so that is the norm for me.

Since different things started appearing, calendars, DVDs, books, etc. it has struck me that the style of lettering is pretty constant but the colours vary a lot according to the design.

Of course what would have been cool for the DVD packaging would have been to have the main colours as follows:

S1: Red
S2: Orange
S3: Yellow
S4: Green
S5 Blue

As per the accepted wisdom that the 5 babylon stations followed the order of colours within the spectrum (we already know for sure that 1 was red, 4 was green and 5 was blue).

Or maybe I just need to get out more!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of course what would have been cool for the DVD packaging would have been to have the main colours as follows:

S1: Red
S2: Orange
S3: Yellow
S4: Green
S5 Blue

I don't know. I think a yellow box would look quite ugly...

When a man nukes himself he does not normally live afterwards.

Right. Let's have a show of hands - how many thought that Sheridan was really going to stay dead at the end of S3, especially given the total lack of press or internet informaton about Bruce quitting the show?

Regards,

Joe

I was very much *hoping* he'd stay dead... but even I (without no access to press or the Internet at the time of B5's first airing in the US, or even knowing about the series for that matter) kind of guessed that he probably wouldn't.

Sadly, I was right. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

When a man nukes himself he does not normally live afterwards.

when a man nukes himself, he normally doesn't jump into a deep casm(sp?) into the tendrils of an ancient energy being.

Sinclair went at the end of Season 1, Talia at the end of Season 2 and Ivanova at the end of Season 4. So Sheridan could have gone at the end of Season 3.

As JoeDM says the give away is the dog that did not bark.

I feared that Sheridan was out after that fall , and what a cliffhanger-ending it was ... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif At the time I did not keep abreast of B5-news on the Internet and had to wait for what felt ages before I saw his return in the Season 4-episodes ...

On a bynote , good thing that he did return seeing as he and Delenn in my opinion were the best B5-characters ( among many very good characters! ) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can see how many would say Sheridan and Delen were the two main characters of B5. But I lean more towards Londo and G'kar on that. To me, they are the heart and soul of B5.

I agree Londo and G'Kar are my to favorate characters; however, they were all great and worked great as a team.

On a side note, when I was out of work I went classes that were being sponsored by my company that helped with writing resumes and conduction interviews in order to get a new job. The courses are mainly for upper management and CEO types; however, I’m a computer programmer. During the interviewing segment the instructor was talking about questions we may get on an interview, she pointed out random people and had us answer strange question that we may be faced with. She got to me and asked something like “What is your favorite TV show and why? “ My answer was easy. “Babylon 5 because the cast of B5 were faced with challenges and obstacles not unlike many problems faced by everyday people. It required them to work together as a team, have good communicate and problem solving skills to solve their issues. Needless to say I was pretty impressed with my answer I not sure about anyone else. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cerberus

My biggest gripe about the cover is Bruce's face. I can't fathom why WB would let such a shoddy rendering go to print. -- I know that even as an undergrad, turning out a face that was that off in one of my illustration classes certainly wouldn't have lended to anythimg more than B (pointless note: I don't like drawing people. I have an incredibly difficult time at it). -- I don't think B quality work deserves to be published.

I think it makes Bruce look too much like Conan O'Brien, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif especially because of the hair, being too high in front)

You know, Dave Dorman did an awfully nice job illustrating "The Shadow of His Thoughts" and Cliff Nielsen did a similarly wonderful job illustrating "Genius Loci." Either of these two people could have done a great job with the Season 2 DVD box set cover.

B5 Short Stories:
<ul type="square">[*] The Shadow of His Thoughts; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Summer 1999, Number 597; The Londo Story
[*] Genius Loci; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Winter 2000, Number 599; The Lyta / G'Kar Story
[*] Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic; Straczynski, J. M.; Amazing Stories; Summer 2000, Number 602; The Marcus / Ivanova Story
[*] Hidden Agendas; Straczynski, J. M.; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; May 2000, Number 22; The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story
[*] True Seeker; Avery, Fiona; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; July 2000, Number 23; The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )
[*] The Nautilus Coil; Keyes, J. Gregory; Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine; August 2000, Number 24; The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"
[/list]

Right. Let's have a show of hands - how many thought that Sheridan was really going to stay dead at the end of S3, especially given the total lack of press or internet informaton about Bruce quitting the show?

Sure, that goes for us... but those of us who followed the show back then have probably already seen S4. The discussion was regarding spoilers, as in for those who are being introduced to the show now. People who would not know whether the dog had barked or not way back when.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back