• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Official Announcement for S2

Re: WB Store

By mere nature, and the definition of Science Fiction, most Horror IS also Science Fiction. However most Sci-Fi is NOT Horror.

I'd be interested in any definition of science fiction that includes supernatural horror. I also fail to see how Spawn qualifies. Granted they have some pretty neat guns, but I think once you send a major character to Hell and back, and have another who is an actual demon, you've pretty well stepped beyond any rational definition of SF.

Although coming up with a perfect definition of SF is notoriously difficult (and probably pointless in the long run) I think most of us can agree that Dracula, say, or The Exorcist is not SF.

I would suggest the both SF and Horror are sub-genres of fantasy in the broadest sense, but beyond that the lines of demarcation are usually pretty clear. (There are exceptions, of course. Frankenstein is arguably a science fiction film, whereas Alien is really a monster movie in SF drag.)

Regards,

Joe

...and according to play.com the R2 release date is 19th May... so i reckon i'll be investing in the R1 discs then... (they can't seriously expect me to wait three weeks?!)

Pity Andrea Thomson has decided not to give a talk about Talia.

I was disappointed when her name wasn't mentioned in any of the discussions of the S2 discs, but wasn't sure if she hadn't been asked, had definitely said, "No" or simply wasn't available when they needed her (as seems to have been the case with Claudia and the S1 set.) Has Andrea mentioned not wanting to do it in a recent interview, or has JMS said anything on the subject?

Regards,

Joe

Everything looks pretty good to me. The only thing is that a "gang" commentary by Bruce, Claudia, and Jerry should really be on an episode that features them more prominently. IIRC, "Long Twilight Struggle" is much more a Narn-Centauri thing, with the Army of Light story being somewhat more peripheral.

Any word on which two JMS is doing? I'm almost 99% certain just by guessing that it's "Coming of Shadows" and "Fall of Night" but it would be nice to have that confirmed; I'm thinking commentary on "Inquisitor" would also be sweet, but that may not happen.

And my pet issue pertaining to the S2 DVDs: did they put in Melissa Gilbert as Anna in "Revelations?"

I'm really looking forward to it. Watching even just a few of the S1 eps (I'm saving most of them for later) has reminded me just how big the story is and how far we have to go. S2 was really the beginning of B5's greatness.

Of course, the late April release date may be a bit of a problem. I'm hoping to get some friends hooked on B5 this coming semester, but the semester ends just as S2 comes out. So all my buddies will be left hanging after "Chrysalis." I feel a bit sorry for them, and I'll have to warn them away from any and all B5 websites and the S2 box to keep the secret!

Any word on which two JMS is doing? I'm almost 99% certain just by guessing that it's "Coming of Shadows" and "Fall of Night" but it would be nice to have that confirmed
Yeah, that's what JMS said in his 8 December post to the moderated newsgroup:

<font color="orange">In addition, I'll be doing commentaries on "The Coming of Shadows" and "The Fall of Night," and there will be a bonus group commentary by Bruce, Claudia and Jerry on "The Long, Twilight Struggle."</font color>

BTW, he also says this in the same message:

<font color="orange">Interviews for year 2's DVD have been set, or already conducted, with Stephen Furst, Andrea Thompson, John Iacovelli, Anne Bruice-Ailing, Jerry, Claudia, Bruce, me, John Copeland, Doug Netter and others.</font color>

So there might be some Andrea Thompson comments after all, unless something came up later? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And my pet issue pertaining to the S2 DVDs: did they put in Melissa Gilbert as Anna in "Revelations?"

Since they didn't for the widescreen broadcast version, when it would have been cheapest and easiest to do since they were completely remastering all the episodes anyway, I'm assuming the answer is "no". I suspect the additional payments and residuals were the problem, and this probably applies even more to the DVDs than it did to the broadcasts version, depending on the fine print in Melissa's contract.

I don't see this as a major issue. Different actors appear in the same role in any long running TV series. The only reason this stands out on B5 is that JMS worked so hard to avoid it. Having Beth Toussaint appear as Anna in the first episode of S2 and Melissa play the same role at the very end of S3 certainly doesn't interfere with my suspension of disbelief. It would be nice if they'd been able drop the Melissa footage into "Revelations" (since they'd gone to all the trouble of shooting the whole message), but I'm wasn't bothered that they couldn't do it for broadcast and won't be if it isn't on the DVD.

I had forgotten that JMS mentioned Andrea in that December 8th post, but knew there was some reason that Andrew's post made me wonder. Thanks for adding that to the thread.

Regards,

Joe

I think cover for season 1 is better but anyway this new one looks also nice.

And about Delenn's hair. It was expactable, but let's say it's a minor spoiler. Worse spoiler IMHO will on the cover of DVD with season 4. You know why! Z'ha'dum!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had forgotten that JMS mentioned Andrea in that December 8th post, but knew there was some reason that Andrew's post made me wonder. Thanks for adding that to the thread.

I just reacted to the absence of Andrea Thompson from the list in the advert. This sounds like it needs looking into.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one thing bothers me though, The Comming of Shadows instead of The Comming of The Shadows. but other than that it looks perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coming of Shadows is the correct version though (both season and episode name), so nothing wrong there, as far as I can see.

In Season 2 there are more than one type of shadow:
The Shadows - alien species
The reign of President Clarke
Nightwatch
The Narn-Centauri War.

This means that 'shadows' rather than 'The Shadows' is correct.

I like the Blue theme.. but one thing I partially don't understand. On The Gathering/ItB DVD they had RED Babylon text, and same on the S1 box. Now they've changed it to blue. Yes I know that red text on blue cover is.. not-so-good, but to me the red Babylon text and the golden 5 is trademark of Babylon 5. Hope you all understood my point.

Of course, the late April release date may be a bit of a problem. I'm hoping to get some friends hooked on B5 this coming semester, but the semester ends just as S2 comes out. So all my buddies will be left hanging after "Chrysalis." I feel a bit sorry for them, and I'll have to warn them away from any and all B5 websites and the S2 box to keep the secret!
Now your pals will know how we felt watching the initial run! Wait all summer after a cliffhanger! It makes you appreciate it more when it finally comes around. ;-)
Having Beth Toussaint appear as Anna in the first episode of S2 and Melissa play the same role at the very end of S3 certainly doesn't interfere with my suspension of disbelief.
Or Anna Sheridan could be like my girlfriend, and blame her look and hairstyle of several years ago on the fashions at the time... like '80s heavy metal hair, and too much make-up!

I'm glad to see Ivanova and Talia side by side, but since they're going with the "Human Character" theme for the 2nd season box set I would have rather seen Morden in back rather than Delenn to avoid the "hair issue" and have a bad guy on the box as well. ;-) Just nit picks, though...

I just reacted to the absence of Andrea Thompson from the list in the advert. This sounds like it needs looking into.

The only people named are those who contributed to the cast commentary track. Presumably everyone else who we know will appear in the documentaries for the balance of the sets (like Stephen Furst who mentioned that he was doing an interview) is included under "various cast members." Since JMS mentioned that Andrea was appearing, and hasn't checked back in to mention that she couldn't (as he did last year with Claudia's on-again, off-again interview for the S1 set) I don't think there is anything to look into.

Regards,

Joe

Regarding the visual spoiler on the S2 box and a possible visual spoiler on the future S4 box, maybe they should have/should put the actors on the cover facing away from us, and in the background. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now your pals will know how we felt watching the initial run! Wait all summer after a cliffhanger! It makes you appreciate it more when it finally comes around. ;-)

Hah. Indeed. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm also really appreciating the opportunity to show it all to people without spoilers, as I had massive spoilers in my journey through the show; I knew about Z'ha'dum almost as soon as it happened, although I had yet to see a S3 episode at that point.

Having the DVDs does allow us to binge on episodes when we have the inclination and the time -- but only having them up to the season end forces us to stop. I remember the first time I saw Z'ha'dum -- it was about midnight, and we'd watched five others previously, but the temptation was very strong to keep right on going.

Oh, and about Z'ha'dum and possible spoilers for season 4 -- we find out very quickly what happened, anyway, so it's not that bad.

Regarding the visual spoiler on the S2 box and a possible visual spoiler on the future S4 box

I don't think Delenn counts as much of a "spoiler". The vast majority of these sets are going to be sold to people who are already fans of the series. Not too many people are willing to fork over $75 for a show they've never seen before. Even the ones who haven't seen all the episodes are likely familiar with Delenn's post-S1 "look". She had it for 80-something out of 110 episodes and all but one of the TV movies she was in. (And even in ItB she's in her "human" makeup in the introduction.) Anyone who is even peripherally aware of the show knows that Delenn undergoes some kind of change in the course of the series, they just may not know when or under what circumstances.

And maybe I'm just dim because of nicotine withdrawl, but I have no idea what potential spoiler everybody is talking about for the S4 cover. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Regards,

Joe

No, but there are some of us who *are* fans of the show, are quite willing to shell out $75 for S2, and are trying to introduce friends into the show who are now hooked on it but have no idea what's coming.

Hence why I'm hoping that, even if the box contains the spoiler, hopefully the opening credits won't until the appropriate time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re. S4 spoiler: I dunno about that one. (SSSPPPPOILLLLERRRRRRR G'kar's eye maybe? SPOIIIIIIIILERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

--mcn

And maybe I'm just dim because of nicotine withdrawl, but I have no idea what potential spoiler everybody is talking about for the S4 cover. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I have not seen the S4 cover but I would guess that the spoiler is that it contains Sheridan. When a man nukes himself he does not normally live afterwards.

My biggest gripe about the cover is Bruce's face. I can't fathom why WB would let such a shoddy rendering go to print. -- I know that even as an undergrad, turning out a face that was that off in one of my illustration classes certainly wouldn't have lended to anythimg more than B (pointless note: I don't like drawing people. I have an incredibly difficult time at it). -- I don't think B quality work deserves to be published.

Also, calling it "The Coming of The Shadows" instead of "The Coming of Shadows" would not only give too much away, but it would suck so much meaning out of the title.

Now... provided this comes out on time, it'll be released exactly 2 weeks before my 25th (whoa...... 25!?!?) birthday.

Woo.

Back