• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What is JMS doing?

I was wondering about those points myself. Thanks for asking, Raw Shark.

And thanks for answering, Jan. :)

Yes, at his appearance this past weekend at the Orange County Screenwriters Association. I haven't had a chance to transcribe it exactly yet but the gist of it was:

- JMS had told WB that he would only do a big budget feature film (we knew that)
- WB asked him how big a budget he was talking (we also knew that)
- JMS told them $100 million dollars and WB said they'd get back to him (this is where we left off)
- After 'Changeling' made the rounds and JMS was/is in much demand, WB came back and said for JMS to let them know when he wanted to have the conversation about doing the film.
- JMS isn't ready to have that conversation yet but he does have an idea for a script.
- It's occurred to him that the 20th anniversary of B5 airing is in 2013 which means that it'd have to shoot in 2012 and be written in 2011.

That's pretty much it. No indication of who would appear in it or what direction the story would take and there aren't any contracts signed at this point.

Jan

Last edited:
Quick double post to go back to "The Flickering Light". JMS said that the main Nazi propagandist filmmaker (Leni? Lani?) was making a film set in 18th century Spain which required a lot of extras with a darker skinned ethnic look to them. There weren't a lot of those, (free, at least) around Nazi Germany at that point so she used concentration camp prisoners. During the day the prisoners were clean and fed and pampered and at night they were returned to the camps.

JMS called it 'film as escape' and a story of hope and even love.

Jan

Yes, at his appearance this past weekend at the Orange County Screenwriters Association. I haven't had a chance to transcribe it exactly yet but the gist of it was:

- JMS had told WB that he would only do a big budget feature film (we knew that)
- WB asked him how big a budget he was talking (we also knew that)
- JMS told them $100 million dollars and WB said they'd get back to him (this is where we left off)
- After 'Changeling' made the rounds and JMS was/is in much demand, WB came back and said for JMS to let them know when he wanted to have the conversation about doing the film.
- JMS isn't ready to have that conversation yet but he does have an idea for a script.
- It's occurred to him that the 20th anniversary of B5 airing is in 2013 which means that it'd have to shoot in 2012 and be written in 2011.

That's pretty much it. No indication of who would appear in it or what direction the story would take and there aren't any contracts signed at this point.

Jan

Now is more likely than ever, especially considering Changeling and some other scripts. I hope it comes to fruition, a proper Budget treatment for B5 would be welcomed.

If it happens....

I'm in the 'believe it when we see it' catagory for a B5 movie.

I remember when the hype started building for TMOS - which was promptly shot down in flames.

(Long time ago - I think I was rangerPhil back then, or circularREASON, and now vorlonlovechild. My personality split 3 ways.. because as we know everything is 3. )

It kinda left me feeling a little numb. Gutted even. If any series was ripe for the movie treatment, then B5 was it imo. So after that all happened I must admit to feeling fed up.

My parents still ask me when / if its going to happen.

Still at least I could always watch it again on vid (and then DVD)

20th Anniversary?? OMG!! God I feel old now.

Babylon 5 deserves a big budget movie - please please god I hope it happens this time. I wouldnt even be that bothered about the main cast being 'the main cast' for a movie. (which if I remember caused uproar when it was mentioned they might not be in TMOS) It would probably be 'big name' actors WB would want anyway to sell the film, but thats ok as long as my fave characters get 'some' screen time.

It's just a shame AK isnt about anymore to be in it. But if they make it, i'm sure his spirit will be there. I'll be sat there in the back row, blubbing like a baby when the film starts.

If it starts......

To be fair, the hype for TMoS was far more concrete than anything we've got now since TMoS had a contract and a script was written. And the 'hype' lasted quite a while, till after the option extension lapsed. All we've got at the moment is JMS answering a question at an appearance, nothing resembling an announcement.

Oh, but how I'd love to see the station on the big screen. Yeah, I'll miss Andreas and Rick but if there are little reminders that they're still alive in-universe (as there were in the Lost Tales), I'll be content.

Jan

...and Leslie Nielsen (Forbidden Planet, Police Squad, The Naked Gun movies, Dracula-Dead and Loving It, Wrongfully Accused, Spy Hard, Airplane, etc.).

Supreman #700 comes out today and features a preview of JMS's run. The first
story will be called "Grounded" and from all reports will feature Superman
Walking across the USA to get back in touch "... with the everyday people he is
committed to protecting."

As part of the publicity, DC is asking folks to promote their town or city for
Superman to walk through:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-06-23-superman23_ST_N.htm

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back