• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Rangers" to air again in September

\"Rangers\" to air again in September

Anyone in the U.S. who still hasn't seen (or taped) it will be happy to know that B5: The Legend of the Rangers will be shown on The Sci-Fi Channel next month, along with two other B5 telefilms:

Babylon 5: Thirdspace
Mon 9 Sept 02 9 P.M. Eastern Time

Babylon 5: River Of Souls
Tue 10 Sept 02 9 P.M. Eastern Time

Babylon 5: Legend Of The Rangers
Wed 11 Sept 02 9 P.M. Eastern Time

Regards,

Joe

Re: \"Rangers\" to air again in September

It's nice to know that they're still showing it. But, they don't have INTB, or A call to arms. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

They had to pick Thirdspace and River of Souls, arguably the worst ones of the lot. Do they want to kill the franchise, after all?

Sigh.

I actually like River of Souls. It has a very religious aspect to it, and while it's true the Tele-movie is fairly uneventful and non-arc, I really enjoyed it. Anyway, I find it underrated.

And no Channe, Scifi isn't trying to kill the series; they already murdered it.

I suspect they picked Thirdspace and River of Souls because they ran In the Beginning and Call to Arms the last time they ran three B5 movies. It is interesting they a rerunning TLaDiS with Thirdspace and River of Souls. That doesn't look to me like they are trying to kill the franchise.

I really don't think they're doing anything beyond filling some airtime with movies they have the rights to.

Maybe they're also trying to goose interest in the B5 reruns before they cycle back around to S1, as well. (The show should wrap S5 in late September.)

I've been saying for years that the key to keeping the show from losing audience in reruns is to let people know when they can catch it from the beginning. Maybe they'll do some promos for the reruns during the movies, pointing this out for a change.

I'd guess that this is either a simple programming decision made without either hostile or friendly intent towards B5 (believe it or not, the programming people at Sci-Fi do not sit around obsessing about B5 24/7, and often do things without reference to the show at all /forums/images/icons/wink.gif), or moderately supportive of the show.

Regards,

Joe

I'm just very bitter about the whole thing. Sigh. Oh well...

I liked them all! River of Souls was funny! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

^

At times like these I am proud to see beauty where others see none. River of Souls was beautiful.

*wonders about Morden's mental state* /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The River of Souls looks good only when standing next to To Live and Die in Starlight. A Call to Arms and In the Beginning are in a whole 'nother league than those two.

Thirdspace and The Gathering fall somewhere in between.

No, river of souls falls behind them all. It had its moments, but it was just a basic bore overall

- but each to their own

it's always interesting that everyone has a different view on which of the tv movies is best and which is not

I for one didn't mind Thirdspace. I thought that River Souls was just a complete peice of crap. Almost unwatchable.

TLiDS, I'm sorry to admit, is way down at the bottom for me as well. It goes something like this:

1. In the Beg.
2. Call to Arms
3. Thirdspace
4.TLaDIS
5. The Gathering
1000000. River of Souls...ugh

Phil

'In The Beginning' was the best of all of them. It was very well-constructed, well-crafted, well-paced, and quite the revelatory experience for those of us who saw it at the end of everything Sinclair. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I did like TLADIS, although you're right in saying it wasn't anywhere near A Call To Arms or In The Beginning. It really could have been a better movie (especially the script, blech!) - but it *was* a good basis, a pretty solid foundation for the future with enough elbow room to maneuver a story whichever way you chose. I've been writing Redux with *just* the information and hints given in TLADIS for about two months now and I've just gotten into adding new things.

Wasn't a very good movie, but it would have been a good series.

Well, I did put TLaDIS above the Gathering, and the Gathering was the pilot for my favorite show of all time. So, I agree with what you said--TLaDIS was a decent pilot (which could have been soooo much more), and in a way, it shouldn't even be compared to In the Beginning and A Call to Arms, because those built upon an alreay rich story, and characters. I prob. judged TLaDIS a little too harsh, but I was a bit dissapointed with jms--he could have pulled out something a little more up to par with his other work. To me, it just seemed sloppy. But then again, River of Souls was just plain bad.

Phil

In The Begining
A Call To Arms
Thirdspace
River of Souls
The Gathering
To Live and Die in Starlight

For me its:

In The Begining
A Call to Arms
To Live and Die in Starlight
Thirdspace
The Gathering
River of Souls

(although I really dont put The Gathering in the TV-movie catagory, since to me it was a pilot more than anything, or the first episode)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(although I really dont put The Gathering in the TV-movie catagory, since to me it was a pilot more than anything, or the first episode)

[/quote]

Rangers was a pilot, too, but you're counting that. And The Gathering most emphatically is not the first episode (whatever The Sci-Fi Channel might say.) It is set many months before S1, has a different cast, different sets, props and makeup, etc. It aired nearly a year before the series started - and aired as a TV movie. Heck, 15% or 20% of all the "TV movies" ever made are probably "back-door" pilots, why single The Gathering out?

Regards,

Joe

Dunno.

Prolly because there was a B5 series so in hindsight, it was a true pilot, not a backdoor pilot.

As it stands today, Rangers is a standalone movie to me.

Back