• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade

I don't believe there was going to be a resolution of the Drakh species... because they are still around on Centauri Prime in the future.

If you are referring to the Drakh Plague, I think JMS said that a cure would be discovered... but it would not be all it appeared to be (my guess is that it would buy some time but would not neutralise the plague).

I think the Plague plot was going to be a first season pusher... to keep appetite's whetted for when the themes Crusade was going to explore surfaced (much like the Shadow War and Earth Civil War took time to mature).

If you look at the questions asked in the intro, the only two questions not answered are key to the series.

I think that the characters would all in their own way have to re-evaluate who they trusted and served. Ialso think that rogue elements within Earthforce would have made it look like Excalibur had turned it's back on Earth and the ship would become fugitive like the Liberator in Blake's 7. The alliance may or may not be aware of the Excalibur's tru dilemma... but would only be able to give limited help.

It would be smoke and mirrors.

So Gideon and the others were not supposed to kick the Drakh out of Centauri Prime.Maybe the answer to that is in some of the B5 books but I still haven't read them.Thanks, Galahad.

I've just read this one in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5#Crusade

This part attracted my attention:

"However, creative differences between Straczynski and TNT caused problems; the network wanted more sex and violence and forced Straczynski to begin the first episode with a fistfight. The sex-and-violence request was later withdrawn, and TNT allocated more money to Crusade, giving the actors better uniforms and new sets mid-season. "

More SEX and VIOLENCE in a Sci Fi TV Show where a big percentage of the audience is under 18.One of the many "smart" ideas of the guys from TNT.This explains the dull sex scenes with aliens in one of the episodes.I'm sure it was not an idea of JMS.If people want to watch sex and violence they will watch "Basic Instinct" or something similar in a late night hour.If they want to watch a Sci Fi Show with their family in 20:00 they will not be very pleased with the idea of TNT.

Last edited:
You think that's bad?

Remeber the episode where Matheson is being checked over by a superior teep? (The Well of Forever).

You ought to see how that episode was going to turn out before JMS screamed blue murder at the execs for some of the stuff they wanted to insert.

You think that's bad?

Remeber the episode where Matheson is being checked over by a superior teep? (The Well of Forever).

You ought to see how that episode was going to turn out before JMS screamed blue murder at the execs for some of the stuff they wanted to insert.

It's good that he stopped them.I think that it's the worst thing for a writer is to have someone trying constantly to modify your ideas and insert totally inappropriate scenes in your own script for better ratings.

Did anyone say to Tolstoy how to write "War And Peace"?

The extreme suggestions/requests from TNT was all a cover. As jms told everyone at the Hawthorne High School comic convention, TNT had decided they didn't want Crusade after all since their five years ratings study revealed that the fifth season of Babylon 5 didn't bring any new viewers to their network (B5 viewers tuned in for B5 and didn't stay for anything else while the regular TNT viewers tuned out during B5). TNT couldn't just pull the plug themselves, as that would open them up to being sued for breach of contract. So they decided to play the unhappy network that wasn't being given the show they wanted by the producers, and that entaled them making rediculous requests for additions to the show. Like the one that Galahad alludes to in that the suits of TNT wanted jms to write the episode so that Gideon would arrange to have the teep that was there to pscan Matheson rape Dureena in order to get dirt on the teep to use to protect Matheson. TNT very purposefully knew their suggestions were rediculous as they designed them to be so, all so that they could pull the plug in a way that wouldn't leave them vulnerable to breach of contract.

Not the best analogy, since War And Peace could stand to lose a hundred or three pages.

:p

Yes that's the truth.I remember that I read something like 300 out of 1400 pages in high school and gave up:).I just wanted to compare the story and script of B5 to something great in literature, because it really has a large impact on us as fans.

Some questions I've had about Crusade:

1) According to the wikipedia, the Technomages were going to turn out to be former servants of the Shadows who had rebelled against them.

hardly a big surprise there. But what was their ultimate goal?

2) What was the Apocalypse Box? Was it a life form? An intelligent machine?

Was it yet another tool of the Shadows or Vorlons in the past? It was said to tell lies. If so it had to have an agenda of its own.

3) In Thirdspace, Patricia Tallman's character at the end is looking out into space at the end talking about the Thirdspace gate to be "one mistake. One mistake among so many" referring to the Vorlons.

Was the Excalibur fated to run into more of those Vorlon "mistakes"?

4) What was the cure going to be to the nanobot virus plague? Was the plague going to be an intelligent lifeform itself?

5) How was the darker elements on Earth involved in this mess?

Things I would love to see answered.

You can find the beginnings of some answers to these question in the trilogy of Technomage books, and in the unfilmed scripts ... reviews (although not copies) of which you can find here

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back