• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5: TMoS - My thoughts

Elric

Regular
I know this has been discussed a lot already, but most of the discussions went off topic so I didn't read all of them (so I appologise if this has already been mentioned). And, since we are all still eagerly awaiting news about it, I thought I'd share some of my ideas with you all :)

My first thought was that it might be about the return of Valen. The are several references to his return (the seat that is reserved for him at the meal with Delenn, Sheridan & Lenier, and also when Delenn reforms the Grey Council). One of the favoutite contenders for what TMoS stands for is The Memory of Shadows so this would fit too!

However, last night I watched the commentary on The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. In the bit 1000 years in the future where the Rangers are rebuilding Earth, JMS said that this concept would be a great setting for another B5 show. It was more than just a passing comment and he gives the impression that he would really like to do something with that. I guess it would be a bit like B5 crossed Jeremiah?
Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this? :D

Good idea, lets speculate. Many Starwars fans make a fulltime hobby out of this on the Net, so why can't B5 fans have a go?

I'd love to see a series based 1000 years on a 'scorched earth'. That whole episode was fulll of great ideas, B5's version of the 'Simpsons spinoff spectacular'! I always thought there would at least be a series of books on this.
It would be good to see the B5 universe in a totally different era, as well. The book on which those scenes was losely based, 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' is yet another piece of Sci-fi literature I really must get around to reading.
(edit - i've just found it my Library. Always a bonus to work in one!)

I still think the new project will be somthing a bit more familiar though. As for the Memory of Shadows, its my odds on favourite title.
I think it could tie up the shadow-hybrid black projects plot-lines from Crusade might be an outside option..

The book on which those scenes was losely based, 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' is yet another piece of Sci-fi literature I really must get around to reading.

According to JMS, that was not based on Canticle. He said that he arrived at the premise because it was what that logic of the story / history line dictated. Then when he was basically done writing it (or at least most of the way through the process) it suddenly occurred to him that the premise had already been covered in Canticle. He considered changing it because of Canticle, but decided to just let his original logic stand.

PillowRock's in the right on this.

Personally, while I would love to see such far-future stories, I don't think TMoS will include them. To do that, you essentially eliminate the main characters (or minimize their role to cameos only). Besides, you need to fill in even more background for new audiences. No, I think TMoS will take place sometime a little closer to "home," with our heroes taking part. Better drawing power.

The book on which those scenes was losely based, 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' is yet another piece of Sci-fi literature I really must get around to reading.

According to JMS, that was not based on Canticle. He said that he arrived at the premise because it was what that logic of the story / history line dictated. Then when he was basically done writing it (or at least most of the way through the process) it suddenly occurred to him that the premise had already been covered in Canticle. He considered changing it because of Canticle, but decided to just let his original logic stand.

Although he does specifically acknowledge the influence of Canticle in his DVD commentary for Deconstruction.

Thanks for the info there pillowrock and Garibaldis' hair.

But hang on, we're drifting off topic and its my fault. Sorry Elric. Speculate here guys, c'mon!!! :D

The one story that I want told before all the other story ideas is the Teep War.

I agree, I really wanna see Lennier and Lyta's finale, perhaps JMS has changed his mind on them now. It's always been difficult for me to accept that Doomsday Lyta would have to blow herself up to accomplish the deed. Look what she did to Z'HA'DUM, and they weren't even close enough to be in orbit at the time were they?

When the initials first came out, I had suggested on another board that it might be B5: Telepath Memories of Sorrow, and that it might start with flipping back and forth between the chaos at home and Lyta's final days on her galactic tour with G'Kar, and Garibaldi's management of the "special bank account". From there Lyta would return to Earth/Mars, and become active in the full scale battle.

But unfortunately, as JMS as that title sounds, it wasn't listed in the possibilities. Still could work with another title, though.

I'd also like to see Valen's Shadow War. When War Without End first played, I was half expecting the viewers would go along with Valen into the past, and a bit disappointed that we never saw anymore of that storyline. Of course that disappointment didn't last long, since S4 ramped up so quickly.

BTW, how do you start a new topic? I couldn't figure out how to start one, in order to ask how to start one.

I would really like to see the telepath war too, but I was just exploring other possibilities. This (and related stories) were the only threads left hanging.

The only problem I foresee with this, is that it relies on certain actors being available and willing to play the appropriate characters. It would be great, but I'm not holding my breath...

The main reason I read the telepath trilogy was to find out about the Telapth War so I was a little disappointed when they skipped over the whole war part (still enjoyed reading them though)!

In fact, now I think about it, there was another unfinished story - the Keeper in the Urn left for David. This could also make an interesting series, but some of it was covered in the Centauri trilogy!

I would really like to see the telepath war too, but I was just exploring other possibilities. This (and related stories) were the only threads left hanging.

I'm know, I was just stating my preference for the new b5 project. Its interesting what others ideas people have.

I do not think it will be a telepath war film as the film would have to appeal to a larger audience than the series did to make any money.

Then again I would not mind if it was.

The thought of Lyta facing off against Bester does have a certain appeal.

:LOL:

I don't see why the Teepwar couldn't be made to appeal to a non-B5 fan. Many movies have two sets of fans: those who have seen the series (or genre) in other forms, and those who are just there to watch a stand-alone good flick. The Wrath of Khan worked both as a sequel to a TV episode and as a standalone.

Good point, although the backstory to Wrath of Khan was quite easy to sum up within the film and there is quite a few more gaps to fill with the Teep war, but JMS is a master story teller, so I'm sure he could manage it :)

The telepath war would probably be one of the most accesable to those unfamiliar with b5. It involves lots of humans, an obviously repressed group rebelling is not hard to grasp, the villian would be someone familiar, and telepathy is a common sf conceit.

The telepath war would probably be one of the most accesable to those unfamiliar with b5. It involves lots of humans, an obviously repressed group rebelling is not hard to grasp, the villian would be someone familiar, and telepathy is a common sf conceit.

In my opinion it would too familiar. And imo, telepath war wouldn't appeal to the large audience.

If "Minority Report" with every familiar SF cliche it could muster included could gross $342,000,000 I think a telepath war could do well enough. especially as there are some potential nice twists in it.

My concern is more about whether JMS can write a sustained two hours worth of story and simultaneously avoid trying to cram in the kitchen sink. So far he is one for six on this score (though ItB probably shouldn't be counted against him since TNT wanted the kitchen sink tossed in).

The only thing I am going to say on this subject is that JMS has not posted for a month now. What project would tie up JMS like that.?

I know he has other commitments BUT a whole month!!

Must be something mindblowingly MASSIVE.

:eek:

The only thing I am going to say on this subject is that JMS has not posted for a month now. What project would tie up JMS like that.?

I know he has other commitments BUT a whole month!!

Must be something mindblowingly MASSIVE.

:eek:
I suspect that he is not allowed to post. :devil:

Back