• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

commentary for The Gathering

Nancy

Beyond the rim
In the commentary of The Gathering, John Iacovelli told JMS and the audience that there is one object that is put in the background of every major sci-fi series or film. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I don't know, but I've listened to the commentary too. He said that the guys who work props & sets are responsible for this tradition are nicknamed The Woodland Creatures. He also said the object is smaller than a bread box. He said it was larger than another object, but I don't remember what that object was.

I don't remember the exact name of the product, but there is an exercise device that looks a little bit like a school cafeteria chair with a third of it chopped off and no legs. It's got about 3 to 5 slots on each side where you can put your hands in different positions, and then you stick your butt in the middle. I think it's supposed to help you do sit-ups without straining your back or putting too much pressure on your tail bone.

Anyway, I've often seen this product used as the head rest on the back of shuttle seats in Star Trek shows and Babylon 5. I think in B5 it's used at the top of seats in Frazi class Narn fighters--and possibly in G'Quon class heavy cruisers.

I wonder if that's the prop. It's big enough that it wouldn't fit inside of a bread box, but if you melt it down it would be plenty small.

There is a thread about this over at JMSNews that reveals, I think, the answer. Once you know what the "device" is it is pretty easy to find out a lot more on a google search.

I could tell you here but why spoil the fun?

That thread doesn't tell you jack. He says that Iacovelli never told him what it was. If you look in the B5-related topics forum, you will find that I started a thread about this, and some guys have an idea as to what it "might" be and gives insight into things of that nature.

So if you know what is it? (use spoiler space if you want)

SPOILER WARNING!

It is the "overthruster" from Buckaroo Banzai.
Not sure what this spoils, just being cautious.

It is the fragment of Garibaldi's Starfury that G'Kar finds in WHtMG. It is also the "flux capaciter" in the Back to the Future movies, and appears in many episodes of the various Star Trek series.

So then, basically, it's just a box with three flashy light tubes?
Yep. It is a medical device, an interdimensional and intertemporal trasport component, a decoration, a weapon, an engine part, and more! Get yours today.

Back