• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

independant b5

Nancy

Beyond the rim
After the Earth Civil War is over and Captain Lochley takes over B5, the station stays independant from Earth. However, do the officers stay independant forever or do they eventually reintegrate into earthforce? Because in season 5 (I forget if they do or not in Crusade though), their uniforms don't go back to earthforce uniforms.

I was under the impression that B5 reverted to Earthforce control once the civil war was over and Lochley installed as Captain but that, as temporary ISA headquarters, the Alliance was granted jurisdiction over political decisions pertaining to the station.

But, that aside, it was once more an Earthforce outpost.

But, that aside, it was once more an Earthforce outpost.

Then how come, everyone's uniform (except Lochley's), doesn't go back to the standard earthforce uniform? It doesn't take that long to reorder new uniforms. :p

I can't remember who beside Zack wore the Independent B5 uniform in season five. For Zack, maybe it was because he couldn't ever get his old Earthforce uniform to fit right no matter how many tailors he took it to, yet found the Independent uniform made by the Minbari to fit the way he wanted. ;)

IIRC B5 was an independent state pending the ISA working out a deal to buy it from earth. Those who wear the black "Army of Light" uniform didn't return to Earthforce which is why they're not in Earthforce standard uniforms in season 5. However Zack did return to Earthforce at some point in time between season 5 and SiL, since he does appear in the Earthforce uniform then.

Because Garibaldi had already quit, Ivanova was gone, and Sheridan went political, the only ones left in the black AoL uniforms were Zack and Dr. Franklin. After Dr. Franklin left for Earth, he probably wore no uniform at all, leaving only Zack, and with him being picky about clothes, who knows what he decided to wear after that.

I've noticed the same thing, however, about Corwin and the other C&C officers. The always wear a standard grey shirt, but it doesn't even look like a uniform. It's more like the equivalent of today's business casual, except that the shirts did all look the same. Security also never goes back to the grey uniforms; they continue to wear the olive, slightly more GROPO-looking outfits with the padded black shoulders.

It does make me wonder... When B5 broke away from Earth, how many people actually resigned from Earth Force? Was it really everybody? Or, was their Earth Force status more "on hold" (if that's even possible) until the conflict was over? If so, you'd think they would have gone back to the blue command uniforms and grey secutiry uniforms after the civil war was over.

Is it possible to be in a military organization but wear a different uniform--or no uniform at all--due to the unique aspects of your post? Is that the reason the uniforms were different in Crusade, or was the Excalibur more of an Alliance ship rather than an Earth Force ship?

Babylon 5 security offices are a police force rather than solders. An equivalent would be the Ministry of Defence Police in Britain. Civilians attached to the military. So when the ISA purchased Babylon 5 they would become employees of the ISA.

As to the Earthforce military personnel when they would change back I do not know, possibly when they are assigned to a new spaceship. Also, what the new arrivals will wear is a different question. If they follow Lochley's example over the next 2 years all military personnel end up in normal Earthforce uniform.

I'm glad I'm not a writer: all those things to think about!
I don't think JMS or any other writer considers this stuff, but I'm imressed if they do.

/IamS

Is it possible to be in a military organization but wear a different uniform--or no uniform at all--due to the unique aspects of your post?
Yes it is, and furthermore it is possible to have people in the same job wearing the "same" uniform look completely different, as uniform changes are made.

Back in the early 1980s, the US Navy switched from the "business suit" look back to the "crackerjack" uniforms. Those who had the existing uniforms kept them until they wore out. As people came into the navy, they got the new uniforms... and there was a period where neither the old nor the new uniforms were available, and so for some of our crew "service dress blues" had a black shirt and tie and no blouse or jumper.

Seeing my division standing by for inspection in "service dress blues" with three wildly different uniforms was not good for my morale, but no one was going to pay millions of dollars to improve my morale! :LOL:

I recall that Sheridan or Lochley (bad memory) said that B5 was going to be acquired by the IA. But I understood that the final approval from Earth Alliance wasn't given yet. So, in the first episode of season 5 I guess B5 wasn't independent yet. It this is the case, Earth should provide the commander.
A second thought: what authority would Sheridan be to ask for Lochley as the commander if B5 was Earth property ??? Maybe that was part of the arrangement.

I can't remember who beside Zack wore the Independent B5 uniform in season five. For Zack, maybe it was because he couldn't ever get his old Earthforce uniform to fit right no matter how many tailors he took it to, yet found the Independent uniform made by the Minbari to fit the way he wanted. ;)

And that's why he got poked with a rather large needle. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

Back