• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The incidents involving Delenn and Sheridan's son

Chilli

High Treason Prevention Officer
The incidents involving Delenn and Sheridan\'s son

In the deconstruction of falling stars the Reporters talk about the happenings involving Delenn & Sheridans son (David Sheridan) but never go into what these were. Do you think that the happenings with the Drakh keeper and Centauri Prime (Legions of Fire, War Without End, Objects at Rest, ...) are what is ment with this? Or was there some other incident involving David Sheridan?

One thing I also wondered about is if at the point of this interview, David is still alive. Delenn is alive, she is about 140 years old. David would be a little younger than 100 which is still quite old. The incident involving their son kind of sounds like he did not survive this incident. My personal suspicion - just a suspicion - is that he could have gotten into problem because of his heritage constantly and faked his own death and took up a fake identity - him still being alive only being known to those close to him. Far fetched as hell, but seems reasonable to me.

Re: The incidents involving Delenn and Sheridan\'s son

If the Drakh keeper incident is what they are referring to, it is implied in War Without End Part 2 (I think that's the right one) that he survived it

Re: The incidents involving Delenn and Sheridan\'s

The question of what happened with David Sheridan and the Keeper, and the events on Centauri Prime... were partly revealed in the third book of the Centauri trilogy ("Out of Darkness").

<font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000">When the Drakh regime crumbles on Centauri Prime, David Sheridan is only rescued partly. He cannot be freed from his Keeper, not while its parent Drakh lives, or does not wish to free him.

That requires some time, but finally happens when Shiv'kala becomes overconfident, and tries to take revenge at Emperor Cotto (yes indeed, the Vir Cotto who most deemed weak and foolish).

It is unsure whether the details of David's temporary disappearance, or the disappearane of his parents are ever fully revealed. Perhaps later, when it no longer involves threat of conflict. But informed parties know.</font></td></tr></table>

I suspect that his origin somewhat overshadows his early years, but the end of the Centauri trilogy hints that once these problems are noticed, they will eventually be resolved. He will find his own path, quite possibly different from his parents.

Remember that Doctor Franklin was the son of General Franklin. What calling David Sheridan chose to pursue cannot be determined by observing Delenn of Mir or John Sheridan. For all intents and purposes, David Sheridan was just another human in a rather wide galaxy, with no obligations to pursue political life.

What he searched and found, tried and accomplished.... is an entirely new story. Therefore, what becomes later remains mystery, with only blurry hints floating around.

Thanks Lennier! I was going to mention the 3rd book of the Centauri Trilogy had info about David and his Keeper, but you beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I have read the books..but it seems like that the incident in them does not match the way they talk about it in Deconstuction. Plus, how much of what happened in that book went public?

That is one thing I would have liked to find out about more in Babylon 5 is the way the incedents are viewed from the outside. Were Delenn and Sheridan constantly being followed by Paparazzis? Where there constantly rumours about their personal life in boulevard magazines?

IMHO it's a perverted bit of our culture that celebreties and their families aren't allowed any private life. I would hope that this kind of voyeurism would dissapear before the 22-sixties but who knows.

I agree completely on that we have no way of knowing what path David's life followed. But being the son of 2 such important celebreties brings some very unfortunate side-effects with it. He'd be famous without being able to do anything about it. He'd be recognised across the galaxy as who he was if not by face then by the small piece of bone crest he would still have (I assume his crest would be small enough that he could cover it up with the proper Hair cut,though).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> He'd be recognised across the galaxy as who he was if not by face then by the small piece of bone crest he would still have <hr></blockquote>
Didn't the book say young David looked completely Human - no bonecrest, full hair, etc. Not sure if they mentioned his internal physiology ... but kinda makes sense. Though they call Delenn a Half-Minbari/Human hybraid, she is more Human than Minbari. Every detail revealed about her physiology after her transformation implies a mostly to purely Human system. I don't even get the impression she retained her Minbari strength - she never seemed to use it even when she could have until she had probably taken some training as Entil'zha ... well there was that time she broke the Grey Council staff ... but she was quite pissed off and I never underestimate a pissed off Delenn. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

We don't really know the events post "Sleeping in Light" until we see a few glimpses several decades and centuries later. David would probably have become a full Ranger shortly after Ivanova became Entil'zha (a story in itself) and while Delenn was still ISA President.

Speaking of children ... whatever happened to Lise Hamton's first child?

Yes it was stated that David appeared human - but it was also stated that he did have some Minbari blood in him and also stated that he had a very very shaggy hair cut - which would cover up the crest if it where small

The press problem would be diminished by Minbari habits and traditions. They only tell what you must know, and sometimes not even the whole truth. The last paparazzi seen on Minbar was left jobless 7000 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I thought the third Centauri book pretty well explained what happened to David right down to his full recovery.

One thing puzzles me, who was Delenn referring to when she reserved the leadership of the new Grey Council for "the one who will come after". For some reason I always assumed she was referring to someone from the prophecies which might eventually have been David.

Any ideas, anyone?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>In the deconstruction of falling stars the Reporters talk about the happenings involving Delenn & Sheridans son <hr></blockquote>

Actually, the reference is to an incident - singular - not to multiple incidents. And because it was mentioned in the context of Sheridan and the mistakes he made, it is seems pretty clear that the incident referred to is one that happened early in David Sheridan's life - when his father could still reasonably be held accountable for his actions. (Something that happened when David was forty or fifty could hardly be blamed on John Sheridan.) So the Centauri/Keeper business is far and away the most likely candidate, as well as the only thing that is even hinted at in the series proper, and it seems unlikely that JMS would leave a pointer like this to some event that would take place completely outside the main story.

Delenn referred to "the one who is to come" - not "The One who is to come." /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I think she was simply talking about the next head of the Grey Council, the position she would have given Neroon had he survived. The Minbari have a tradition of long mourning periods when a leader dies. The Grey Council functioned without a formal chief for nearly a dozen years after Dukhat's death, after all. Eventually someone was going to be chosen to head the Council - but probably long before David Sheridan was old enough to take that position. Also the head of the Grey Council is not - and never has been - "The One", that is, the Entil'Zha. That is a title that can only be held by an Anla'shok Na (Ranger One) who has undergone a special ritual. Only Valen, who founded both the Rangers and the Grey Council, ever held both offices and all three titles. And he was a special case, in more ways than one.

All indications are that there were only four (or three, depending on how you want to count) Entil'Zhas - Valen, Sinclair, Delenn (after she had left the Grey Council) and Sheridan.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> All indications are that there were only four (or three, depending on how you want to count) Entil'Zhas - Valen, Sinclair, Delenn (after she had left the Grey Council) and Sheridan. <hr></blockquote>
Sheriden and Susan were only Anla'shok Na? I had always thought they were full Entil'zha ... but maybe I was just paying close enough attention ...

It seemed that Joe was counting Sheridan, and placing the uncertainty part on how to count Sinclair. Ivanova on the other hand was never Entil'zha.

Besides, I would like to point out that unlike Centauri, Minbari do not consider positions of political influence inheritable in any manner. Delenn could not mean David Sheridan in anything involving the Council. She had much authority, but neither need nor authority for that. Typically, the current leader of the Council *chooses* the next leader, and the Council approves or disapproves. In addition to that, Valen's prophesies only covered what Sinclair knew, and not much more. They did not extend that far.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back