• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost Season 1 (no spoilers of Season 2 please)

Pobman

Regular
I'm betting there is already a thread on Lost on here, but I want to stay spoiler free.

It finally made it's way onto UK terrestrial TV last night and I thought the two hour pilot was good. A nice solid start with plenty of potential.

Did anybody else watch it? Or am I the only one who was interested in this show that had to wait until last night to see it?

Edited the title. - Kribu

Re: Lost (no spoilers please)

Pobman, welcome to one of my current favorite obsessions. It will get frustrating at times, because, the entire 26 hours of episodes, only makes up about 44 days storytime, so the mysteries stretch out a bit, and the questions in your mind will drive you mad. Don't get upset because something isn't addressed for several episodes, they aren't ignoring it, they're just withholding mysteries. Season 2, the arc is supposed to pick up pace a bit, and answer some questions pretty early on.

Pay close attention to numbers that are repeated, clothes that people wear, props being used. Pretty much try to notice everything.

I'm watching it.

Already got me screaming at the TV at the end of the episode. I WANT THE NEXT ONE!

Good life lesson, not to stand in front of a jet engine when it's running.

Awesome. It's been hyped so much my expectations were waaaay up there, but somehow, it exceeded them.

Colour me v. impressed.

:D

VB

Pay close attention to numbers that are repeated, clothes that people wear, props being used. Pretty much try to notice everything.

Now that's the way to sell a show! People told me that the show was really good, without saying why, so even though I was interested in watching it, I wasn't salivating at the propsect. After having seen the pilot I wanted to see the next one, even more so now. :)

Saw the first three eps on C4/E4 on Wednesday night, already looking forward to the next one.

Unfortunately having promised my wife I wouldn't stay up to watch ep 3, I did exactly that, and now the problem is that she wants me to keep quiet and not tell her what happened, but keeps asking me what happened. Women!

:rolleyes:

And you can definitely tell that they dropped $10 million on the two-parter ... oh to have someone stump up $10 million for a B5 TVM, that would really rock.

It's really a great show. I'm really looking forward to the DVD's that are coming out next month. It'll be nice to be able to watch them all back to back rather than having them all dragged out over the course of several months. You may want to check into them if you don't want to wait that long to see them all.

Just watched episodes 3 and 4...wow. :) It just gets better and better...Ep 3 was good. Ep 4 (the Locke-centric one) was fan-bloody-tastic.

:D

VB

After watching episode 1, falling asleep midway through 2 and watching episode 3... I'm beginning to wonder if the bald guy is God.

I'm also thinking that there are certain parallels with the Tempest and Forbidden Planet. They are trapped on an island fo one. There is a seemingly invisible creature chasing them round, for another.

Some have speculated that the island may be "purgatory" (not a concept I personally believe in, in reality... but the imagery would kind of fit here).

So you could theorise that the unseen beast is like a "monster from the Id", the peoples imperfections and negative qualities feed an unseen force that manifests itself in aggressive attacks... just like in FP. You could also suggest that the surviviors have an opportunity to reject there negative sides, and that bald guy is there to help them do this.

Just my early thoughts... they may well change as the series progresses.

Ooh, deep.

I'm not thinking in those terms.

Ep 3 was slower than last week's two, but that was to be expected. I still want to know what Kate did, but we probably won't find that out for a long time.

Next week looks more exciting. They are going to have to shift those bodies soon or the smell is going to get unbearable.

Oh yes, I don't have E4, so please remember I'm a week behind some people. Please warn me if you're going to give anything away.

Oh yes, I don't have E4, so please remember I'm a week behind some people. Please warn me if you're going to give anything away.

I am also going to be a week behind and I am not even watching the previews for the following week's show. As soon as an advert comes on I dive for the remote in an effort to keep me pure. :)

I thought it was nice that the bald guy (is that Locke?) let the father "find" the dog. Though it did cross my mind that he now has a hold over the father as for whatever reason the kid doesn't seem to like his dad and would easily believe that he didn't find the dog. When the show ended on a shot of him, I thought the music was kind of sinister.

As to what Kate did, well the guy bringing her back said she was dangerous, though that doesn't necessarily mean she is a murderer.

Have we been told yet why the plane crashed? I did miss a bit of the pilot so was unsure if it had been said.

Can't waut for the next ep.

I don't think it matters why the plane crashed. That is not the point of the story.

At least, that's what I think.

OK. I was just wondering whether it had been said. If it hasn't been said yet, then no, it has nothing to do with the story at the moment.

Yes, your opinions on various things and characters will indeed change, as you get to know more through flashbacks.

Why the plane crashed? Nope, even those of us who've seen all of Season 1, are still waiting for that. It's promised to be answered by the end of Season 2, though.

Kate's crime? We find out some things about Kate's criminal past throughout the season, but, even by the end of the season you will not have a complete view of "what she did"

Hope that's not too much information, I tried to keep it generic.

Oh, and yes, the bald guy is named Locke. And always remember to pay attention to the small things, props, clothing and notice things that are repeated.

I think this is one of those shows you will need to see again on DVD, as those little clues sometimes flash by too quickly to be fully absorbed or recognised - numbers, people, comics, etc.

Since this is a spolier free zone, I won't go into too much detail, but re: why the plane went down, one of the characters certainly feels they have an answer for that - and given the flashbacks of that character, who is to say that they aren't right?

My view about where they are? I subscribe to the Purgatory theory myself - souls having to atone for their past mistakes.

This is one of the few series my wife and I both enjoy, which is saying something. Though she does say quite loudly that if the mystery turns out to be either aliens, or a government conspiracy/experiment, she will hurl some very heavy objects at the TV. And I have to say that I would agree with her - that would just be a lame explanation.

I think that Sindatur is enjoying his Vorlonesque role in this discussion :)

Quote from Galahad:
After watching episode 1, falling asleep midway through 2 and watching episode 3... I'm beginning to wonder if the bald guy is God.

Bit different to my brother's theory, he thinks he's a peadophile.

As to props and such forth, the only props that I can recall seeing are:
<ul type="square"> [*]The gun and radio
They have been at the forefront of some scenes and I guess when you say keeping an eye out for props you mean subtler ones
[*]The whistle that Locke made
I can imagine how this would be used later
[*]Food
Daniel Dae Kim's character had made some food for people.
[*]Shades
The blonde girl got some Shades off of her brother
[/list]

Other than that, I am a bit stuck for remembering props, but I suppose I have only seen the first three episodes.

By the way, is there a decent site for the episodes in the vain of the Lurker's Guide? I can imagine that that would be quite useful as the series rolls on.

As to props and such forth, the only props that I can recall seeing are:

The gun and radio
They have been at the forefront of some scenes and I guess when you say keeping an eye out for props you mean subtler ones

The whistle that Locke made
I can imagine how this would be used later

Food
Daniel Dae Kim's character had made some food for people.

Shades
The blonde girl got some Shades off of her brother

Other than that, I am a bit stuck for remembering props, but I suppose I have only seen the first three episodes.

Then you've seen one prop that has some level of connection to something you've seen happen (what I'm referencing is not one of the props you've listed). It's there, it's not blatantly explained ever (at least in the first season), and I don't think I realized it the first time I saw the show. I only realized, "Oh yeah, I did see that didn't I?" after reading other people having mentioned it. It'd probably be more fun to mention it to you again after you see a handful or so more episodes so that the WTF? quotient of it is higher when you think about it.

I think that Sindatur is enjoying his Vorlonesque role in this discussion :)
Wait until you meet the person in Episode 9, then you'll have a Vorlon on the show.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back