• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

X Men Casting rumours

Pobman

Regular
Over at Dark Horizons there is an article here that suggest Kelsey Grammer will play Beast in X3.

While he will certainly be able to pull off the educated eloquence of Beast, isn't he a bit, well... small to play him?

With the amount of characters they are casting, this film is looking like it could be overloaded with them.

Cool idea. I would see him as a voice at least, maybe for a CGI or animatronic beast. On the other hand, he could hit the pie shop and bulk out a bit...

I agree with you on the characters, one or two new ones, but don't get all of the x-folk in there please.

Vinne Jones as Juggernaut would work very well, as he does bear a resemblance to Patrick Stewart.

I gotta say, I have a problem with Juggernaut: he's not a mutant; his power comes from the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak.

Interesting... they can do so much with makeup and computers these days that maybe they'll be able to turn Frasier into the Beast.

Grammer will likely be the live actor for Henry McCoy, pre-transformation. The big blue furry fella will almost certainly be CGI or some kind of prosthetic suit.

As far as his size, I'm less worried about Beast as I am Juggernaut. Big J is an enormous guy, thanks to his magic crystal. They made Mr. Hyde look believable in LXG, so I'm sure making a "Beast suit" wouldn't be so bad... Juggernaut may prove to be the real challenge...

That's kind of weird that they'd recast for Beast seeing as how Hank McCoy was already in X-Men 2. I guess I could see Kelsey Grammar playing him though.

I agree that Vinnie Jones will make a great Juggernaut. I wonder if they'll stay pretty true to how he looks in the comics.

Maggie Grace as Kitty Pryde? Oh yeah. :cool:

That's kind of weird that they'd recast for Beast seeing as how Hank McCoy was already in X-Men 2. I guess I could see Kelsey Grammar playing him though.

We barely saw Hank in X2, so recasting him for X3, to me, is on par with the recasting of Pyro, Kitty Pride, and I think maybe even Jubilee (I have trouble telling if the two movie's versions of her are the same person or not, there's something in the way they look that makes me think its two different actors) between X1 and X2.

From Scifiwire:

Marvel entertainment chief Avi Arad told SCI FI Wire that Kelsey Grammer will plays Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy/Beast in the upcoming third X-Men film and also confirmed earlier reports that Vinnie Jones has signed to play the villainous Juggernaut. Grammer, best known to audiences as TV's Frasier Crane, will play the blue-furred biochemist, whose strength and agility are matched by his genius intellect. Beast will play a prominent role in the third X-Men film, whose story is being kept under wraps.

Arad added that casting will be announced in a matter of days for two new mutant characters: the winged Angel and Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat, who can phase through solid matter. Both roles will be played by North American actors, Arad said in an interview. Variety reported that Maggie Grace (ABC's Lost) was in talks to play Kitty Pryde.

Arad said that director Matthew Vaughn and the filmmakers were seeking to avoid a British actor to play Beast when Grammer read for the part. "We've been looking around for actors that are American," he said. "We didn't want to resort to ... if someone is intelligent, [he] has to sound like a Brit. ... [Grammer] has this delivery and the voice. You close your eyes, and you hear Hank McCoy. And there is this innate intelligence, the warmth, the strength there. He read—here is this big star—and he just knocked it out of the park. And the rule in our movies is, you go with the actor. It's not about lookalikes. ... It's about someone who brings a special tone, a special feeling, to the character."

As for Jones' role, Arad said: "Juggernaut is an interesting guy. He's like, once he's in motion, he cannot be stopped, like a bullet. And he [has] an interesting affiliation: He's actually Xavier's [Professor X, played by Patrick Stewart,] half-brother. And, again, I cannot obviously get into the plot, but he's going to be [a] very interesting villain."

About the other new characters, Arad said: "Angel is a very emotional thing. We're very close. We'll have someone in the next few days. He'll have a big role in the movie. And Kitty Pryde has a big role."

Arad said the X-Men 3 is gearing up to begin shooting in Vancouver, B.C., in July, with an eye to a release on Memorial Day 2006. The film will bring back the main cast from the previous two films, including Halle Berry, James Marsden, Famke Janssen, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, Arad said. "Everybody's coming back," he said, adding: "And Matthew Vaughn [Layer Cake] brings a lot of fresh air to the table. Very, very smart filmmaker. He's working on the script with the screenwriters, with Zak [Penn] and Simon [Kinberg], and all of us are very involved in it. This is, I'm telling you, ... huge. ... It's better than one and two combined. That's a big statement. ... The main concept, the theme of the movie, it's just scary, brilliant and thought-provoking."

So no news on Gambit being in the film then? As much as it would be fun to see him in the film, it is getting a bit crowded.

Well that sucks... I like Steve Bacic, and was hoping to see him in X3.

Oh and Halle's back? I thought she was out. Maybe Catwoman changed her mind.

Did anyone else notice the lack of mention of Jackman? I'm guessing he'll be back, but Wolverine or Jackman aren't mentioned.

When producers talk over the top like Arad is, it always concerns me. Vaughn has directed one film that's gotten some buzz. He might be great, he might not be. It's a gamble.

I've had concerns ever since I learned that Singer wasn't coming back. This franchise has been the vision of one man...which always brings on concern when another one comes in to take over.

I hope it's good, but given the amount of new characters and villians, it worries me that the screen will be too crowded to tell a good, solid story.

NTM, Singer was telling a larger story, not just making sequels. Now that has been cut-off in mid-tale and it seems that they're going to jump to a different one without completing the last one. It's just not going to feel right. It will seem like we missed an episode or two.

I hope it's good, but only time will tell....even though the casting would appear to be well thought out.

Guess we'll find out next year!

CE

With the amount of characters, they could split it into two films X3a and X3b (the names of course would be better than those). both films could start of with the same scene(s) where they find out something about Jean Grey that needs to be investigated and also that Magneto is up to his old tricks again and then Professor X could split the group into two, one film would follow one stroy, the other could follow the other. Therefore allowing each story to be fleshed out properly without having characters underused.

I know this won't happen, but I can dream can't I?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back