• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Blake's 7 poised for comeback

The same channel that bungled the Prisoner remake? I'll believe this when they actually start shooting it .... :rolleyes:

Still, if they do it right it could end up as a worthy successor to Galactica, which will be all but done by the time that this sees the light of day. :)

Awww crap its on Sky.

They are doing a nice job with the Pratchett adaptions, but most people never get to see them.

I hope they give this the attention it deserves, I want something to enjoy when i have to pirate it from the Internet 'cause Sky keep it to themsleves...

If they did remake Blake's 7, perhaps it would inspire someone to release the original series on DVD.

The writers of Life on Mars were said to be keen to pitch a remake of Blake's 7. What's the name of the production company? Or do we know nothing beyond which channel commissioned it?

Its broadcast of Satelite only, so to get it you need to buy a pricey subscription to Sky TV and their statelite stuff. Or get it from the intrawebs like everyone else...

Here's what I had to say on this over at JMSNews:

This could be excellent or it could be a disaster! They really need to get someone behind it that has a vision and the clout to carry it out. It took Russell Davies to revive Doctor Who and JJ Abrams to revive Trek.

I hope they find someone good and this time they more clearly define where they want to go with it all...how it should end. In the original the Federation is all but destroyed and when they realized they didn't have an enemy any more they brought it back.

This has a lot of potential...I only hope they live up to it.

As for The Prisoner, here is what Belbo over at JMSNews posted as an update:

Today's B7 news prompted me to update the thread on this long-running saga as well ..... according to the Portmeirion Hotel's official website, the latest remake attempt is now a "definite go" for late summer 2008

THE PRISONER REMAKE FOR ITV - IT'S OFFICIAL http://www.portmeirion-village.com/content.php?nID=8;ID=88;lID=1

The Sky / AMC remake fell through in late 2007 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/04/27/nosplit/bvtvprisoner26.xml), after which ITV (ack!) seem to have moved to the rescue. The seemingly endless attempts to remake the series were the subject of an Independent article last year (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/no-escape-for-sky-the-curse-of-the-prisoner-403470.html), and Six-of-One have a page listing the last couple of years worth of attempts here (http://www.sixofone.org.uk/Prisoner-Remake.htm).

Sorry about all the links but I guess I can't make the text the link anymore...or if I can I can't figure out how.

Anyway, there's a bit more for ya!

Ce

Last edited:
If they do it right, I would love to see more "The Prisoner." But, I'm very much a skeptic. I think it was back in the late 80s, when they planned to make a Prisoner movie, and McGoohan was involved with it, scripting, if not the part, and that never happened. They could certainly make "rover" quite a bit more fearsome today...

Has anyone heard anything about this recently? Has the project died?

I'm really interested to know how things are progressing.

Rumour had it that jms pitched to the BBC fot it a long while back.

More recently the producers of Life on Mars (the original) expressed an interest. I would have though that their recent success with that series would stand them in good stead.

Rumour had it that jms pitched to the BBC fot it a long while back.

A jms B7? That would have been something special!

More recently the producers of Life on Mars (the original) expressed an interest. I would have though that their recent success with that series would stand them in good stead.

That would tie-in with the rumours I've been hearing of Philip Glenister being a possible for Blake.

Would someone explain to me what was so great about Blakes 7. I watched I believe the first 2 seasons and I can't figure out what everyone sees in it. Maybe it's b/c it was made in a different time or I think the acting is horrible or the fact that I can see the hole in the eye patch of the enemy guy and can even see his eye moving back there.

What am I missing?

It had flawed heroes and an ambitious long-term story arc, in which the main characters were constantly in real danger. Pretty cutting-edge for its time. But not everyone can get past the cheap, flimsy production values.

Last edited:
It had flawed heroes and an ambitious long-term story arc, in which the main characters were constantly in real danger. Pretty cutting-edge for its time. But not everyone can get past the cheap, flimsy production values.

Heck I love B5 and that had some pretty cheap production values and in the first 2 seasons, some pretty bad acting. OK I can see the flawed heroes thing a couple of the crew were self serving and all of them were prisoners so they aren't exactly heroes but you root for them anyway which was a nice change. I guess it was the pacing that bothered me. It was very slow which often put me to sleep. I also wanted to put a scarf and big glasses on the shady crew member and put him in the Match Game to take Charles Nelson Reilly's spot.

Ah, the wobbly sets; gotta love them.

That is why we have Wobblevision! I'm in four of them wearing varying degrees of silly costumes. We only have 'Blake' left to do.

Back