• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jerry Doyle show 10/24 about B5 TLT

I'd more base any comparisons made there - pointless as they might seem :p - on the vastly different personalities JMS and Joss Whedon have.

As I see it .. Whedon is a social guy. He works well in teams, knows what elements of the story to give to whom, et cetera. He delegates.

JMS doesn't delegate unless he has to. His work is so personal for him that he'd rather not have anyone else touch it if not necessary. Which for a normal guy would be a silly and immature attitude. But as we all know, JMS isn't a normal guy and actually manages to carry the huge burdens he takes up like this. And managed, in the case of B5, to create an epic that would have been almost impossible to create in other way.

Does that make JMS a bit of a control freak, as Jerry seems to think? Maybe. But JMS being a control freak is the reason B5 is the show it is. Jerry's complaint back then seemed to be .. "The guy thinks he knows it all better than everyone else when B5 is concerned." Guess what? He does. :D

.. and yes, I've noticed that Bruce seems a lot more "into" the whole thing on a deeper level on commentaries. Hard to not notice that :D .. I did feel quite sorry for him really.

Now that I've seen the full transcript of Doyle's actual comments, I think it may have been studio politics, rather than electoral politics, that he had in mind.

Regards,

Joe

I don't have a link, Hyp, and the comments I heard (in person at a convention) were long after B5 ended but it boiled down to him thinking that the show should never have ended itself, that it should have continued until it was cancelled. Both he and Bruce said much the same thing, in fact.

Joe, I'm afraid for a change I have to disagree with you. I can see where JD might have been talking about studio politics when he referred to his bashing CNN but not when he said (twice!) that they might not have liked that he was the politician who'd been an actor and vice versa. Unless there was something of substance that he said after he started taking calls? I only listened to the approx. six minutes he spent talking about it and about four phone calls.

Jan

I haven't been to any conventions or anything of the like, but I remember hearing Jerry and Bruce talking about thinking B5 should have kept going beyond season five; they almost sounded full-on angry that it didn't, and sounded as if they were blaming jms for it since he invisioned B5 as a five year arc instead of open-ended like pretty nearly every show we have on tv. I think it might have been in one of the cast commentaries on one of the DVDs where I heard them talking about it.

I haven't been to any conventions or anything of the like, but I remember hearing Jerry and Bruce talking about thinking B5 should have kept going beyond season five; they almost sounded full-on angry that it didn't, and sounded as if they were blaming jms for it since he invisioned B5 as a five year arc instead of open-ended like pretty nearly every show we have on tv. I think it might have been in one of the cast commentaries on one of the DVDs where I heard them talking about it.

Definitely was The Geometry of Shadows commentary. Possibly on others.

The JMS "control freak" thingy was later though, IIRC (I don't remember the exact words) .. IIRC, Jerry Doyle was capaigning for a B5 revival .. which JMS didn't approve of in that form. Which annoyed Jerry Doyle.

As for continuing after season 5: The story was told. Yeah, it was still a great show .. but watching it was much like reading a book. Season 5 read itself like the last chapters. Continuing beyond that in a regular form would just have felt tacked on.

I guess I could have invisioned a season 6 if it had been set a few years in the future, during the telepath war, or something like that .. definitely not as a direct continuation though.

The JMS "control freak" thingy was later though, IIRC (I don't remember the exact words) .. IIRC, Jerry Doyle was capaigning for a B5 revival .. which JMS didn't approve of in that form. Which annoyed Jerry Doyle.

Not quite. JD had gone public in an interview making it sound like he'd made contacts with people who wanted to revive B5 in an interview. When asked about it, JMS said that it hadn't come to anything and wasn't likely to, at which time Jerry got upset. JMS's post responding to what Jerry said is here.

Jan
with the pack-rat brain

All that stuff with JD making noise about getting financing to revive the show is in his IGN Filmforce interview from about two years ago, if my memory serves me. You can probably look up the interview on their website.

Joe, where did you read a transcript of what Jerry actually said? Or are you basing your analysis on Jan's paraphrasing?

Joe, where did you read a transcript of what Jerry actually said? Or are you basing your analysis on Jan's paraphrasing?

Actually it turns out to be a paraphrase of Jan's paraphrase that someone e-mailed me, and which I mistook for an independent transcription. The offending party has already been scheduled for a visit by the NBS. :)

Joe

Yoicks, my paraphrasings are being paraphrased and emailed? Wow...I feel so special... :LOL:

Jan

Oh dear, what a shame to hear. I hope this grandstanding on his part does not affect his chances of getting an episode down the line...

Unfortunately, JMS & Jerry are too much alike. They are both very stubborn & opinionated. And you always despise the person you are most like. As for the political thing, I guess it would be tough if you were a conservative when a lot of people in the entertainment business are liberal, but it doesn't mean that everything that happens to you is because of your political beliefs. I think it was the usual money stuff.

Back