• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

BSG is done

Link

Can't decide if I am saddened or relieved. More the latter really - it's been just "good" enough for me to not want to give up on it, but not nearly good enough for me to enjoy it for the last 1 1/2 years.

Not really a surprise, given RDM's interview earlier in the year (link somewhere on this board, just can't find it right now) in which he said that the story was moving towards its end-game. He would not comment at that point on whether S4 would be the last but it sounded a strong possibility and he was quite clear that he didn't want the show to go on longer than it had to to tell its story.

I think it's been very strongly suspected, but not confirmed .. or something.

Not that I know, I have been paying BSG very little attention recently.

I'm not. I like the show a lot, and am glad they are ending it before it gets really really sucky. Better to quit at the top of your game, then to fall off and have the last season or two what you are remembered by. If you aren't sure what I am talking about, watch the last...oh I don't know...5 Seasons of Stargate SG1. THERE is a show that has gone on way longer than was creatively good for it.

One of the things Ron Moore said was that they had revealed so much...that it wouldn't be fair to the audience not to bring those things to conclusion.

Here's the quote:

"And by the end of the season, we had taken that moment and moved it to the revelation of four of the five Cylons, and one of our characters had actually been to Earth and seen it," Moore notes. "But that was sort of the moment where we started to feel like, if we don't start to pay this off and don't really reveal those secrets and move in that direction, we'd get to a place where it would feel like we're jerking (around) the audience."

As sad as I am about the show coming to a close, I do appreciate the decision he made there.

Me too. I like the fact that the producers got to decide when to call it a day, rather than having the network decide it for them. Especially a show like BSG which very clearly has a beginning, a middle and an end. As well as a lead-up to possibly a new beginning since "everything has happened before and will happen again."

Its good to see a show-runner taking the iniative here and ending it on a high, rather than forcing scripts to meet a network decision. This will give us four complete seasons of excellent tv sci-fi. I think it was sensible and correct. We will also get at least one TV movie as well.

BSG seems to vary in quality quite dramatically in my opinion. But when they get ir right it is pretty special. I'm glad that they are taking this decision. I hope that this means they will be making episodes of a consistently high quality even if it is for a short time rather than dragging it on and alternting between being brilliant and bad.

I thought that was already announced a few weeks ago...

When they announced 13 eps for S4, and then changed to 22 eps, it was suspected and denied, and then a few weeks ago Olmos publicly speculated it, and it was again denied. Late last week, the denials finally stopped and it was confirmed.

Back