• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Will Rangers become a series? What are your feelings?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
No, Almir--I agree with you!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tammy, I understand your opinion. We have to consider the god AND the bad things. But I mentioned those points because I still trying to understand the whole situation after 10 months. And because, to me this seems to be the longest week in years. If you know what I mean...
smile.gif

Almir

------------------

I think it's going to be a series. Last night on upn's Enterprise saw a promo for movie, now thats a good omen.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Almir:
Based on what we all saw and read in the last 10 months.
What do YOU think?
It'll go to a series?
It's not what you want, it's what your feeling tells you.
You don't have to talk about ratings and "if" and money interests.
Just a good old "yes or no".
Come on, just to build up good vibes!

Me?
A well balanced yes

Almir

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to jinx it.
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 17, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sisko:
Last night on upn's Enterprise saw a promo for movie, now thats a good omen.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I really liked that. Hell, I was cheering. Yes! A B5 ad. during Trek. I love it!
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

in all the interviews and everything these past few weeks, theres always been a question or a comment about the possibility of a series, actors/tresses saying how they hope a series does come out of it...

now, if scifi had already decided *not* to make a series, then im sure they would have already told those involved, and wouldnt really care about them saying so... why keep it a secret that you're not going to do something?

on the other hand, if they still havent decided (waiting for ratings) or if they've already decided yes on the new series... they wouldnt want to make an official statement to early. so they'd tell everyone involved that they hadnt decided yet... OR they'd tell everyone involved "yes, we're gonna make a series, but you're bound by that confidentiality contract so you cant tell anyone".

in terms of raitings: at this point its pretty impossible for any b5 fan anywhere to not know about b5lr by now, so i think it can be gaurenteed that the raitings will be in the same ballpark as standard b5 raitings... which are obviously pretty good since its been on scifi for, what, 3 complete run throughs by now in an almost primetime slot? only an hour before farscape, one of scifi's highest rated shows?

so yeah... if you couldnt tell, im almost certain of a 'yes' on this
wink.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arrghman:
in terms of raitings: at this point its pretty impossible for any b5 fan anywhere to not know about b5lr by now, so i think it can be gaurenteed that the raitings will be in the same ballpark as standard b5 raitings... which are obviously pretty good<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The movie costs many, many times what a rerun does, and will need equally higher ratings. Though given the extensive ad campaign, and the fact that more people are tend to turn up for a one off movie than a continuing series, things are looking promesing.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

It seems to me that their marketing indicates that they are seriously considering a series - the 'interview' type commercials, etc., are not the sort of thing you'd make just for one 2 hour telemovie. I think that as long as the ratings are pretty strong (fingers crossed) they'll probably give it a try. Especially considering that they can reuse a lot of sets/costumes/etc. from B5. Of course, they could have done that with Crusade too...

------------------
Jamie ushumgal@earthlink.net
LU2.DUB.SAR
DUMU sha KA2.DINGIR.RA.IA2.KI

didnt scifi want to pick up crusade back in the day, but couldnt because they had already allocated all their budget for that year? thats what i remember hearing anyway...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

I think the decision to make the series was made several months ago. Sci-Fi have just not announced it. The level of advertising is too high for anything else. If the rating are bad they will change their minds, otherwise B5LR will be made.

What I suspect we are watching is the planned built up of tension. This is the equivalent of reading out the winners of Miss World in reverse order. Also will the hero rescue the love interest before the bomb goes off?

This plot line has certainly entranced the fans. If the newspapers and media review programmes take up the debate Rangers (and Sci-Fi) will get a lot of free publicity. If directed carefully this publicity campaign can be kept going for a couple of weeks. The reviewers may play along because the tension can be borrowed to increase their ratings.

--------------------------------------------
Who knows?

Sci-Fi suits? Almost certainly. It could not be done without them.

The actors? They could be in on the secret, although they may only have been given a hint to keep themselves available. Either way the cast is being (miss)used as cheerleaders.

JMS? I will answer this option with a question. Who wrote the plot?

On the other hand, I am probably only a conspiracy theorist letting his imagination run away with him.
crazy.gif

------------------
Andrew Swallow

I want this to happen.

A good series that makes you shiver in anticipation before the opener is over

I remember watching the opener for season 5 and shivering everytime.

It was incredibly well crafted.

JMS can do it right. We need to hope that Sci-Fi will want to give him the opportunity to do so.

------------------
"Consider it an Adventure" -Galen

Yes.
It will become a series.

------------------
--Shibby

i find it particularly interesting that b5lr:TLaDiS and b5lr have different entries in the IMDB...

example...

------------------

I think the almost unprecidented promotion proves that SFC wants it to succeed.

All we can do now is sit tight and wait for the ratings.

And debate the merits/flaws of the movie.

We can always do that...
laugh.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arrghman:
i find it particularly interesting that b5lr:TLaDiS and b5lr have different entries in the IMDB...

example...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMDB is hardly official.

Most likely someone's premature (but hopefully justified) wishful thinking.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

I think the Sci-Fi channel has turned a corner in providing quality programming. Look at the high profile movies they have been running and will be running. Like "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams, later tonight. And the upcomming Steven Spielberg offering.

Where else besides the Star Trek and Star Wars can you tap into this size of a pre-built consumer and fan base.

I think if the ratings numbers are moderately high we will see an positive announcement very soon.

------------------

cool.gif
Rangers becomming a series
cool.gif

I'd really like to see this be successful. It seems that the rest of the B5 series when shown in order *cough*Crusade*cough* do pretty well.

as JMS, Delenn, and Lennier have all once said:

"Faith manages"

------------------

It has been great to see the reaction of our US friends so far - about the balance of positive and negative I would have expected.

As far as a series is concerned, I tend to agree that there has been a lot of promotional money thrown at a one-off 2 hour TV project. However, if SFC see B5LR as a pilot rather than a one-off event then it is perhaps not surprising.

On that basis, it seems perfectly reasonable (if frustrating for the fans) to wait for ratings before making a decision.

As soon as SFC decided not to make a decision on the basis of the rough cut, it is hard to see what would make them change that position before the movie aired.

If we can trust SFC's word then we will get a series if ratings are good enough. If ratings are too low to justify a series, we will just have to live with B5's status as a cult classic!!

My only sadness is that after the success of B5 in changing the face of SF television - you only have to look at the proliferation of ongoing story arcs and CGI in current shows (to name just two) - it is still required to get ratings for a pilot before getting a new series. Whereas Enterprise, with Voyager still fresh in everyone's minds, goes straight to series.

Confirmation (not that it is needed) that quantity of viewers, and not quality of show, drive the TV execs.

At the end of the day [soccer commentator emulation mode cancel] that fact that B5 is "... the show that came closest to stealing Star Trek's thunder" (Radio Times Nov 2001) is irrelevant - we need viewers !!!

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

cool.gif
Will there be a series? I think yes. While not a foregone conclusion, there are many signs that point to it already being a done deal. Look at the format of the movie itself. It was framed as an episode: it started with a teaser, went into the theme song *crediting the regulars*, then went immediately to commercial. One-shot movies, on the other hand, generally start with starring credits, then go into the film. They don't go right to ads.

Is this rock solid proof that the series has been green-lighted? No, of course not. But it rates as a positive indicator in my book.

If we're dependent solely on ratings, well then, we're boned. Going head-to-head with the NFL playoffs is a suicidal maneuver if you think you're going to get ratings. To make matters worse, this turned out to be one of the best games in the history of the NFL. (Football must be played outside, on grass, and, in January, in snow.)

------------------
- Timo
"We cannot guarantee success. But we can deserve it." -- John Adams

I'm hoping it does. I'm not going to analyse it, that's already been done. I just don't want to see another choppy job, a la Crusade, where we get something and then have it snatched away. That's not fair for JMS, the actors, or us. If we don't, well...

------------------
"There's always hope, because it's the one thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet." - Galen

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back