• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR's competition

Re: B5LR\'s competition

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
Rangers isn't just going against an NFL Primetime Football game, they are going against an NFL Primetime PLAYOFF game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh, I hope this isn't Rangers' death knell.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

It would be Wrong to asume that SciFi isn't aware of the conflict. This IS their business.

More likely, they examined all the options and this was the Best spot they could find.

All through January, there are going to be Football conflicts on Saturdays.

The other days of the week are probably even Worse, as far as competition goes.

And, waiting till February for all the sports stuff to be over is too late if they have hopes of going to series because they need to get started and get a bunch of episodes in the can for the fall season.
Starting up a new series takes time.

Also, if they waited until February, they would run into a Different set of sports conflicts.
BaseketBall. Winter Olympics. Sports/Stock car races. Motorcycle races. Baseball season ...

It's pretty much year round.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I, most definitely, will be watching B5LR, and taping B5LR (SVHS, SP, premium tape), so I can watch it again on Monday at lunch following the B5 I recorded on SciFi on the previous Friday ("The Exercise of Vital Powers" I believe). I watch B5 at lunch every weekday as a stress reliever. It's uncanny, but I've found that the lesson from the particular episode I'm watching always relates to something going on in my personal life...or maybe I'm just a fanatic (that's what my wife says at least). It will be interesting if the same occurs with B5LR...maybe the lesson is to not die stupidly!

I can't wait!
cool.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

[This message has been edited by wipster (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
Rangers isn't just going against an NFL Primetime Football game, they are going against an NFL Primetime PLAYOFF game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is actually a tough one to predict, since the NFL has never before held playoff games (pre-Super Bowl) in prime time. So we really have no gauge for what we should be expecting. It may depend on the teams involved, and - since B5LR doesn't start until after the game has been underway for an hour - it may depend on whether the game is close.

That said, SFC certainly knows that they're up against this, and they'll take it into account in some manner.

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
And that's the way it should be, dagnabbit!
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[FlamethrowingSmilie emoticon]
tongue.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

True enough,

I personally am not the football fan I used to be. I was all over College and NFL football in High School and College, but the last few years it has taken a back seat to other interests. I still catch a Bear's game from time to time (live in Chicago) and I usually tune in here and there for the playoffs and I always have a Superbowl party. So if it were just me, I'd be watching B5LR without a doubt. My roommate, however is a football NUT with my brother. You can almost guarentee that he will be camped out on the sofa watching the game. Now while I do have 2 TVs and 2 Cable boxes, I really would rather watch B5LR on the main TV with the home theatre. So I will probably be watching the later viewing of it up there (and taping it of course). I'm not a Nielsen person so it really matters not, and that way we can both see what we wanna see. Hopefully all turns out well with things, I guess we will wait and see.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
It would be Wrong to asume that SciFi isn't aware of the conflict. This IS their business.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, TNT thinks they know Drama.
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

Let's HOPE that Sci-Fi takes the football draw into account when they look at B5:LotR's ratings.

It might be a good idea to mention it, in passing, in a letter.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I hate the stereotype that sci fi fans don't enjoy sports. In fact, I can't stand most stereotypes in general. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate them, too, but they exist because there is some element of truth in it. In this case, it is true, sorry.

I, for one, am not a huge sci-fi nut. I like anything from any genre as long as it's good quality. However, the vast majority of people who get the majority of their entertainment from sci-fi simply don't care about sports. These types of people are most likely to watch the Rangers because Babylon 5 is not mainstream and not particularly famous. Yes, I believe that anyone can enjoy B5, but most non-sci-fi folks won't give it a shot, because, quite frankly, why should they expect it to be better than all the other sci-fi shows that can all start to look the same after a while (5 Star Treks, Andromeda, Farscape, etc).

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

[This message has been edited by GKarsEye (edited January 07, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
And, waiting till February for all the sports stuff to be over is too late if they have hopes of going to series because they need to get started and get a bunch of episodes in the can for the fall season.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean the summer season. That's when SFC airs the bulk of its original programming. They pretty much avoid the fall and the sweeps periods, because that's when the broadcast networks offer the most competition.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
I hate them, too, but they exist because there is some element of truth in it. In this case, it is true, sorry.

I, for one, am not a huge sci-fi nut. I like anything from any genre as long as it's good quality. However, the vast majority of people who get the majority of their entertainment from sci-fi simply don't care about sports. These types of people are most likely to watch the Rangers because Babylon 5 is not mainstream and not particularly market. Yes, I believe that anyone can enjoy B5, but most non-sci-fi folks won't give it a shot, because, quite frankly, why should they expect it to be better than all the other sci-fi shows that can all start to look the same after a while (5 Star Treks, Andromeda, Farscape, etc).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you nailed it, perfectly.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

This time change for the NFL playoffs is due to declining ratings for football playoffs. I believe the time change came at the request of the networks. I think it will hurt B5:LotR ratings however I also think SFC is aware of this. So I don't think there is cause for concern.

In keeping with the topic, I am a fanatical Chicago Bears fan. I've loved this team since 1975 (they were 4-10 that year). There have been great years (1985) and horrible years (especially the recent seasons). This year they turned it around to go 13-3 and win the division. They have not done that in over a decade. I've waited along time for this team to get this far. If the Bears are playing on Saturday night Jan. 19 I'll be watching......Rangers.

------------------

I still disagree about the stereotype. My guess would be about a 50-50 split of B5 fans who like and don't like football. I think the biggest proof of that is some of the postings on this message board. Of course liking football and B5 is different than liking football more than B5. Unless it's my home team playing there's nothing that could keep me from watching Rangers on the 19th, and I think most of the B5/football fans would do the same. It's really no contest.

------------------

My suspicion is that Sci-Fi has decided to buy B5:LR. Short of a ratings disaster, there has been too much spent on advertising so that failing to make the series would be too embarrassing. What they have not decided is how much to pay for it.
crazy.gif

Low ratings means low advertising revenue. Low revenue will restricted the amount paid to Warner Brothers. Small payments will result in JMS getting a small budget. A small budget allows only tiny pay for the actors, technicians and musicians.
frown.gif

The sports fixture has probably resulted in a pay cut for the actors. Depending on the ratings, they may wish to think carefully before giving up the bar job.
shocked.gif

There is an advantage in not announcing the purchase of the series until after the showing of the pilot. Sci-Fi has the equivalent of the ratings boasting moment in "Miss World" just before the winner is revealed. Even journalists that hate science fiction can be roped in to increase the tension on that one.
wink.gif

------------------
Andrew Swallow

You know it occured to me that I may be a little biased due to the fact that myself and my dad(who got me into both sci fi and B5) are huge football fans. My dad even got season tickets this year. The more I've been thinking about it, I'm really curious to know the percentage of B5 fans who also like football, we should do a survey or something.

------------------

I have a vcr and I'm not an idiot which means I can program the thing. There is no real conflict. The game is a live event which is signifigantly effected if not watched live. I'm fairly certain B5LR will not be televised live
smile.gif
so there is no urgent need to skip a live event for a drama.

Some sterotypes come around because they are to some extent true. Personally I think the idea that scifi nuts are less likely to watch sports is valid. Invariably I judge a show on how good it is. Being scifi won't keep me away or keep me watching a show, only the quality of the show can do that.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

[This message has been edited by Doctor Gonzo (edited January 07, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:

Some sterotypes come around because they are to some extent true. Personally the idea that scifi nuts are less likely to watch sports is valid. Personally I judge a show on how good it is. Being scifi won't keep me away or keep me watching a show, only the quality of the show can do that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it depends on how one defines "scifi nuts". I suppose there are people out there who only watch science fiction television to the exclusion of almost anything else. I'm sure there are some who don't have any other interests in their lives.

I'm not one of them and most of the people I know aren't like that.

I went to a party at a SF writer's house once and baseball was on the TV the whole time we were there. Worldcon (the World Science Fiction Convention) had a panel on baseball last year.

I'm sure if you put a group of regular SF fans (not the "nuts" discussed above) you will find that the percentage who watch football isn't drastically different than the percentage that watch football in the non-SF population.

------------------

blush.gif
someone just emailed and said they ARE repeating it a few more times here in the east so thanks anywho.My plan then is this put vcr on to B5LR Go to local watering hole get to see game and have a few (Get a ride home, no drinking and driving) have a few more and watch movie over and over till I pass out.bye for now

------------------

Sisko, if you're hangin' in the bars watching the Pats in Boston, who knows, maybe I'll see ya there.

Thanks for the heads up, man. I totally forgot that the Pats don't have to play this weekend (wow, can you believe they are top in the division?
shocked.gif
). Now, there is absolutely no question as to what I'm watching.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Just found out my New England Patriots will be playing jan 19. 8PM. this is going to be a close call but I have waited so long for more B5 I think I'll watch B5LR unless SCI FI is reapeating it again that night.Does anyone know if they are reapeating it?
mad.gif

------------------

The first experiment with putting post-season football on in Primetime is with tonight's wildcard game.

We can get a sense of how these things will do in the ratings when they are announced early next week.

(I grew up in Philadelphia, so you can guess what I'm doing at 4:30PM ET. The Iggles are playing in the early game.)

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back