• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

V on ABC November 3, 2009

As soon as they start up the plotline about how someone's baby will be "important" for the future, I'm checking out.

Yeah, it'll probably be that kid who's mother is an FBI agent and that female V he's enamored with.

Or It could even be Anna and the reporter.

;)

But the super important baby is easy to market and people get it right off the bat!

It would be fun to hear what JMS has to say about modern scifi, or how those guys rank B5.

"V" is officially a "Troubled Production." It wasn't one of those dead-before-it-hit-the-air shows like Crusade (Sigh), Defying Gravity, or the excellent "Kings," but it's definitely circling the drain.

Firstly, produciton was halted after the first batch of episodes because the network wasn't happy with 'em, and they won't make a decision as to whether or not they're going to resume production until *after* they've fully digested the ratings from the first four. That means a gap of multiple months between the first and second cycles of production, which is hard on everyone. Effectively, it's a new season when they go back in.

Secondly, there's been a lot of behind the scenes intrigue, with firings, hirings, walkoffs, etc. The details are unclear, but a lot of people are saying the network feels the show is too right wing and is trying to tone that down. Others say they're simply trying to salvage their investment.

Thirdly, since it appears the show is all-but-dead and they don't care about it much, they've decided to only air new episodes as an "Event" during sweeps weeks, which probably will pump up ratings, but is really hard on the momentum of the show.

Our estemed leader, Republibot 1.0 is reviewing it over on our website if anyone's interested.

"V" is officially a "Troubled Production." It wasn't one of those dead-before-it-hit-the-air shows like Crusade (Sigh), Defying Gravity, or the excellent "Kings," but it's definitely circling the drain.

Firstly, produciton was halted after the first batch of episodes because the network wasn't happy with 'em, and they won't make a decision as to whether or not they're going to resume production until *after* they've fully digested the ratings from the first four. That means a gap of multiple months between the first and second cycles of production, which is hard on everyone. Effectively, it's a new season when they go back in.

Secondly, there's been a lot of behind the scenes intrigue, with firings, hirings, walkoffs, etc. The details are unclear, but a lot of people are saying the network feels the show is too right wing and is trying to tone that down. Others say they're simply trying to salvage their investment.

Thirdly, since it appears the show is all-but-dead and they don't care about it much, they've decided to only air new episodes as an "Event" during sweeps weeks, which probably will pump up ratings, but is really hard on the momentum of the show.

Our estemed leader, Republibot 1.0 is reviewing it over on our website if anyone's interested.

From what I read, it's already slated to return late March, and they are teaming it up with LOST (Tuesdays at 10pm, LOST Tuesdays at 9PM).

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/0...-schedule-to-apply-lipstick-to-the-pigs/35230

So, teaming it up with LOST, and moving it to a time slot where it's not competing with a power house certainly does sound to me like they are interested in continuing the show,a nd trying to kill it. The alter hour will allow them more freedom for "adult" writing, and the lead in of LOST could bring in new viewers. Although the ratings were decreasing, the ratings for the 4th episode were still pretty respectable

Last edited:

From what I read, it's already slated to return late March, and they are teaming it up with LOST (Tuesdays at 10pm, LOST Tuesdays at 9PM).

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/0...-schedule-to-apply-lipstick-to-the-pigs/35230

So, teaming it up with LOST, and moving it to a time slot where it's not competing with a power house certainly does sound to me like they are interested in continuing the show,a nd trying to kill it. The alter hour will allow them more freedom for "adult" writing, and the lead in of LOST could bring in new viewers. Although the ratings were decreasing, the ratings for the 4th episode were still pretty respectable

Maybe.

On the other hand, firing the writers and show runners and yanking production in the middle of the eighth episode, then not making a decision as to wether or not to resume production until *after* the 4th episode has aired isn't generally how you treat a show you've got a lot of faith in. Neither is pulling it off the air after 4 episodes, and shelving it for a third of a year, just when it's starting to pick up some momentum (Which I know is because they didn't have enough episodes to keep running it, but still...)

Bottom line: Whether they still support it, or they don't, it's officially a "Troubled" production.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of actual firings, not having inside info. Rumors of firings could mean anything from someone bound by contract that can't just walk away, up against fools, like the TNT suits making stupid demands, that is forced to get fired, all the way through to ABC having legitmate concerns about the content of the writing and the direction it was going.

I also didn't realize 8 episodes were in the can.

I actually think a 4 episode pilot is good for a show like this (It could've been shown as a two night mini-series, like the original second mini-series). A wiser decision, however, may have been to put the 4 episodes online (like a couple other series have started) and get feedback, and then show them, plus the remaining 9 (alterations made per feedback from the online episodes you value). The intial response had some insulted feelings, and resulted in drop off ratings. Perhaps, with an online outlet preview of the 4 episode pilot, they could've retooled those first 4 to alleviate those insults.

Or of course, as I said, a 4 hour advertised Mini-Series. Having new episodes 4 months after a mini-series is pretty quick, you expect more to take a year, so momentum should be up with this approach.

I cought up online & went to watch this on tv the next week. Show was already done... boo for that. JON MAY LIVES!

I cought up online & went to watch this on tv the next week. Show was already done... boo for that. JON MAY LIVES!
Not done, on hiatus, it's restarting in late March when the Olympics are done. It will air in the Tuesday timeslot after LOST

V Returns tomorrow after LOST (Though I hear it's only another 4 episodes before another break?)

Apparently it's a 3 part Mini-series for S1, which I think would've gone over much better with the audience if they had sold it that way upfront

Just LOVE how it's on @ 10 now instead of 8. I normally go to bed @ 10. SO with that said I'm still watching it online.

& I guess it's John May instead of Jon May. :p

Chad Decker needs to start pulling footage together to smear Ana, I'm starting to lose hope with him. :(

Returning in November has become... January 4th, 2011. Bull$h!t I say...

Actually, Tuesday at 9pm or 10pm in November could've been a very bad thing.

V struggled in ratings in S1.
Caprica also struggled in Season 1.0 (8 episodes, plus the Pilot in over 2 years), and looks like it's finally coming into it's own in episode 12 or 13 of S1 (Pilot counts as 2 eps). Caprica Season 1.5 is on Tuesdays at 10pm, and dropping lower,
Stargate Universe has also suffered on Tuesday at 9pm.

Adding V in there, would likely split the audience and kill all of the shows. *

*(of course we can all all watch everything through recording, On Demand, Network Website, or other methods. Most of which dont work into the Early\Most important ratings, they just help save a show on the bubble sometimes).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back