• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

Actually, I think Batman Begins was expected to be good, mostly because the director was so respected, but also because Christian Bale was the first actor who had the potential to give the role some weight.

(Yes, even though I'm the guy who makes fun of other adults for liking comic books and dumb action flicks, I still dig the Batman thing to some degree. Meh)

Actually, I think Batman Begins was expected to be good, mostly because the director was so respected, but also because Christian Bale was the first actor who had the potential to give the role some weight.

(Yes, even though I'm the guy who makes fun of other adults for liking comic books and dumb action flicks, I still dig the Batman thing to some degree. Meh)

agreed dude.

Welll .. JJ Abrams is also respected. Possibly overrated, but by far the biggest name Trek has had as a director since the Motion Picture...

Last edited:
Well I don't know the details about that, but Nolan did Memento and is not just respected "in the biz" but as "serious" director.

With regards to JJ, I'm going with overrated. Alias was a great show...for the first 2 seasons, then it totally lost its way for the remaining 3. Lost is probably his greatest work, but I'm worried that in the end, they will have "lost" (heh) their way with that show too.

Mission Impossible III was OK...certainly better than 2, but was nothing spectacular IMO. Now he has some mystery movie coming out soon that has a lot of "Internet hype." Seems he is better at marketing shows than anything. Anyone remember the last movie that had a lot of Internet hype? Snakes on a Plane.

The prosecution rests.

With regards to JJ, I'm going with overrated. Alias was a great show...for the first 2 seasons, then it totally lost its way for the remaining 3. Lost is probably his greatest work, but I'm worried that in the end, they will have "lost" (heh) their way with that show too.

Mission Impossible III was OK...certainly better than 2, but was nothing spectacular IMO. Now he has some mystery movie coming out soon that has a lot of "Internet hype." Seems he is better at marketing shows than anything. Anyone remember the last movie that had a lot of Internet hype? Snakes on a Plane.

The prosecution rests.

I think JJ Abrams is like Stephen King. A great idea man, and really knows how to build a story, but, the story loses something along the way as races towards to the end. JJ Actually doesn't really have anything to do with LOST anymore, I don't think, so it's Damon and Carlton we need to trust or fear for the remainder of LOST.

JJ Abrams has come off to me the past several years as the type of storyteller that frequently starts a story and then moves on to start another one leaving the already started story to someone else to tell. And that makes me feel like he just abandons projects whenever a new shiny object passes in front of him. Despite whatever name he's made for himself in the actual production world, for me I don't look on him with favorability.

Since S1 when he started doing all these films. I believe he was the head guy throughout S1, and then pretty much turned the show over to Damon and Carlton in S2

Not completely true. He did leave during S2 to film MI:III, but returned for S3 and worked to fix it where it had strayed during S2. He was also instrumental in working out the arc that will oversee the rest of the series until it's end in 2010 ...I believe is the year they've said it will end.

As for Trek, there are several articles and links to articles over at Trekmovie.com that are very well worth the read about the new Trek. It has me extremely excited about this film and is building a good deal more faith in JJ, Orci and Kurtzman as well as the new cast and how important this all is to them. Not to mention, as someone at Trekmovie stated, "they get it!" It does seem that those involved all not only get the importance of doing this right but also get what it needs to be and do.

This isn't a rush to more cash for them...it's a true labor of love.

CE

They are, however, breaking continuity by having the Enterprise look very post-refit, when it only got refit in the Motion picture :p Shame on them!

Seriously .. I'd be lying if I said that seeing a cinema trailer of an upcoming film, with a Constellation-class Enterprise, Leonard Nimoy's voice, and the original theme, didn't touch me in the slightest.

Much rather than seeing this in the cinema, though, I would like for Star Trek II to be shown in the cinemas again. I kind of missed it on its first run, and it annoys me greatly.

How does it look post-refit? The engines look very TOS, the saucer & bridge also look very TOS. I don't see a lot of added features that weren't there before, other than more detailed textures.

Seriously .. I'd be lying if I said that seeing a cinema trailer of an upcoming film, with a Constellation-class Enterprise, Leonard Nimoy's voice, and the original theme, didn't touch me in the slightest.

*COUGH*

Constitution

*COUGH*

;)

Constitution

enterpriseorigxy0.jpg

Constellation

usshathawayaftff7.jpg

I fail.

The font used is the post-refit font. Pre-refit Enterprise did not have lettering like that on the saucer section, and certainly not in that font.

Not in that particular font, but it did have the lettering, which was the same font used on Navy aircraft carriers at the time (and in some cases today).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back