• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legend of the Rangers Question

Found myself at a loose end over the weekend, so decided to watch Legend of the Rangers again, and one thing struck me (aside from the fact that viewed all this time after the fact and with my rampant expectations long since departed, I didn't think it was half bad).

When the Liandra reaches the jumpgate and finds the ship sitting there waiting for them, why didn't they just activate the gate and destroy the ship?

We have seen jump points used several times as offensive weapons (most notably by the Minbari in ItB), so surely a gate would do just the same job.

Is it just that the explosion of a ship within the vortex would damage the gate (it didn't seem to do much to disrupt the Minbari), was it just an ignored option, or am I missing something?

:confused:

When the Liandra reaches the jumpgate and finds the ship sitting there waiting for them, why didn't they just activate the gate and destroy the ship?

They would have had to activate the Liandra's jump engines inside an already activated jumpgate, to do the "bonehead" maneuver, to destroy that ship. The Liandra wasn't already inside that jumpgate and the jumpgate was not activated. Plus, I think the Liandra's jump engines were out-of-service at the time.

We've seen the Excalibur and the Victory activate a jumppoint, and the resulting energy destroy Drakh fighters that were on the other side of the jumppoint in normal space from the Excalibur and Victory, but as I said, I think the Liandra's jump engines were out-of-service.

We have seen jump points used several times as offensive weapons (most notably by the Minbari in ItB), so surely a gate would do just the same job.

However, the enemy ship was not within the gate. Jumppoints are much more effective when used as a weapon because there is no physical structure to give them away.

Is it just that the explosion of a ship within the vortex would damage the gate (it didn't seem to do much to disrupt the Minbari), was it just an ignored option, or am I missing something?

The enemy ship was not within the gate. They weren't that stupid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back