• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 3 R2 release date delayed

OK, so I have had an e-mail from Amazon.co.uk to tell me that the studio has advised them that S3 of B5 in R2 (acronym-man returns) has been delayed from late October to 10 November 2003 - and that there could be further delays.

WTF is going on?

I realise this is a question we have all been asking of Warners for years, but what possible justification could there be for the R2 release to be put further back when the R1 version has already been on the streets for over a month and they are now announcing the release date for S4 in R1?

I am not particularly annoyed - just mildly irritated, and mostly fearful that this is the thin end of the wedge. This kind of treatment of the UK fans (who WHV made bundles of cash out of on VHS sales, let's not forget) will only persuade more and more to go "mutli-region" and buy from the US and Canada.

The knock-on effect of that can only be a slump in R2 sales levels and S4 and 5 never appearing in R2 format because potential sales don't justify their release.

Idiots!

:mad:

I also had that email from Amazon. I could buy the region 1, but my other 2 DVD sets are R2, & I would really like all of them to be the same.

The only reason I can think of for the delay is that they have made yet another screw up with the R2 release. Let us not forget "And The Sky..." in S1, and the French booklet in S2. Maybe their quality control is a little better than before and they have found a problem BEFORE the DVD gets released. Third time lucky ???

Yes, I am one of those driven to buying a multi-region DVD player and getting my S3 from the US.
Looks like I may have to do the same for S4!!
What they don't mention is the British Customs import tax! :mad:

I've just got to send out my heart to non-R1 people... this sucks. I'm a dual citizen (US/UK) and have gotten emails from many of my friends on the other side of the pond complaining about having no S3.

-Tim

Less than informed ranting... is not conductive to getting what one wants.

It also annoys others -- just like your post annoys me. That does not achieve more or better "Babylon 5". It only achieves an inefficient argument between us -- which I deem a poor replacement for Season 4.

Hence I recommend against unreasonable labeling of others -- and against denouncing an unknown problem before you discover its nature. It might affect features which you too appreciate.

On a more constructive note, high probability exists that R1 disks for Season 4 are multiregion like their predecessors. If you want Season 4 sooner, they would be usable for you (see post by ShaneMclean).

I meant to check on that last night. I'll try to remember to check to see if the R1 DVDs are actually multiregion tonight.

Regards,

-Tim

Less than informed ranting... is not conductive to getting what one wants.

It also annoys others -- just like your post annoys me. That does not achieve more or better "Babylon 5". It only achieves an inefficient argument between us -- which I deem a poor replacement for Season 4.

Hence I recommend against unreasonable labeling of others -- and against denouncing an unknown problem before you discover its nature. It might affect features which you too appreciate.

On a more constructive note, high probability exists that R1 disks for Season 4 are multiregion like their predecessors. If you want Season 4 sooner, they would be usable for you (see post by ShaneMclean).

I apologize for my infantile behaviour. :(

Hey, it happens. People lose their patience sometimes, and say things they would not say otherwise.

-------

The logical choice when patience runs out... is getting R1. While shipment cost is higher, prices are pretty similar. I got my Season 3 from Amazon.ca quite economically. It fell below the local VAT threshold, avoiding me import taxes. Applied a "new buyer" coupon found from the web to deduct an additional 10 CAD.

While R1 languages are limited to English/French... the disks themselves are coded to support regions 1-4. At least earlier R1 disks (with the exception of "Gathering/ITB") have in reality supported multiple regions. About Season 4, information will be out sooner or later.

The S3 DVD is R1, R2, R3, R4 - I just checked. It has one audio track, English, with subtitles available in English, French, and Spanish.

Any R2-R4 people should be fine with the R1 release. I got my copy from Amazon.com - not Amazon.ca (gift certificate put to good use, as well as supporting B5TV).

I hope this helps.

-Tim

Back