• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS Happy with 5 years of B5

Just reading this news item reminds me of something JMS said when B5 was first on the air. Basically his original intention was to complete B5 and then get out of television altogether - never to return.

I for one am glad that he changed his mind and gave us Crusade, the TVMs and LotR, in addition to the original 5 great seasons of quality TVSF.

Since the ratings for LotR were released, and its subsequent rejection as a series, there has been a lot of depression on this board, but I think we need to remember that we are much better off than we would have been without JMS' change of heart, and hugely better off than if there had never been a B5 - now there is a scary thought /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif .

That there is to be no new stuff at this time is sad (although we Brits haven't seen LotR yet) but hey ... I still have a bookcase full of VHS cassettes that I can pull out and watch as often as I like, and Bravo is stripping B5 daily on UKTV at the moment.

So overall, /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif and yet still quite /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GaribaldisHair:
<font color=yellow>Just reading this news item reminds me of something JMS said when B5 was first on the air. Basically his original intention was to complete B5 and then get out of television altogether - never to return.

I for one am glad that he changed his mind and gave us Crusade, the TVMs and LotR, in addition to the original 5 great seasons of quality TVSF.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
This is true. And seeing with how much of a hassle it seems to be for him and the others dealing with networks, I can't blame the guy at all for having that attitude initially. We are lucky we have gotten more than just B5 from him.

Today I am also considering myself lucky to have Jeremiah from JMS. Its a fantastic show, and who knows, if it takes off perhaps some sort of B5-Universe series could be discussed again since he will have 2 great shows under his belt.

As much as I was looking forward to having a LOTR series, I'm not depressed or really bothered by it not happening. We have B5, and that's more than enough. As JMS himself said, anything else is just a bonus. Though it would be nice to have it, we can all go on with our lives.

And as far as bashing Sci-Fi, give them a break. At least they are trying to bring in different genres of science ficiton. They're trying to change things up, give you all something new. Though they made some mistakes, cut them some slack. Everyone makes mistakes, and we all spend the rest of our lives paying for them (as a certain character in a certain show said /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif) Get over it, life goes on /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by A_Ranger:
And as far as bashing Sci-Fi, give them a break. At least they are trying to bring in different genres of science ficiton. They're trying to change things up, give you all something new. Though they made some mistakes, cut them some slack. <hr></blockquote>
I'll cut them all the slack they want. As I'm not watching their channel.

With the exception of one or two miniseries, once Sci-Fi takes the B5 reruns off the air, I will simply have no reason to watch their channel any longer.

They seem to be aiming towards a different target audience right now. I think it's a shame that the only USA cable channel dedicated to science fiction is moving in this direction. But I don't criticize them for it.

I simply won't watch their station. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Is it possible to aim a satilite to intercept Canada's "SPACE" channel? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Back