• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What did you do before ...

... Babylon 5 came into your life.

There seems to be a consensus that a lull is happening (if that is not an oxymoron) and I was just browsing the threads on this board (new board is excellent BTW if you're watching Ant) and musing on what I did with my life before B5 hit the screens.

I seem to recall I was of the opinion that ST:TNG was a pretty good show, and was on my "unmissable TV" list (the only member of which in over 2 years has been "24" and that has only just started), but beyond that things get kind of hazy.

It is clear that some of us spend far more time here than can possibly be healthy ... so what did you fill your time with before B5 existed?

Well, television-wise, I was watching over sci-fi like "Brisco County", "Eerie Indiana", TNG and DS9.

I've always been a sci-fi fan (It may even be engrained into my genes) and a bit of a couch potato. I was also excited about B5 since I first read about it in Starlog, and the Lurker's guide was one of the first websites I ever visited.

Admiral Dave

B5 is the only television show that i would tape if i couldn't watch it. I like a lot of shows but no other show has been "can't miss." All i know is that i did a heck of a lot more stuff than sitting in front of my computer watching various episodes. Also this is the only forum that i read and post to. So babylon 5 has wasted what little life i have... that would be a great quote for an ad /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
Oh and i'm the only one in my family that watches sci-fi. my parents can't even stand watching this kind of stuff. Where did i get it from?

I first noticed Babylon 5 in 1998. It was during the last winter of school. Presumably the fourth season. It was fun to watch, good weekend relaxation, although I had to build a new antenna and still couldn't properly get the signal. My activities at that time were rather boring. Go to school, tinker with computers, come home, write some new functions for my file manager, read something, watch TV and go to sleep. It did not particularly change my routine.

The second time, my primary occupation before this new pastime was feeling miserable. It was the winter of 2001/2002. Immediately fell in love with the show, especially with one character whose smile could make me smile back. I think I needed some reason to smile, as I was feeling rather empty and sad, having torn down old plans and still lacking new ones. This time, it did change my routine. Besides eagerly watching and recording every episode since Season 3, I discovered the Lurker's Guide and read about the ones I had missed. Found a talkative and interesting B5 community on the net, laughed myself silly a few times, read lots of enjoyable fan fiction, decided to eventually write some (and still do). Its indirect effect on my routine may have been even deeper, for the questions it asked may have caused me to find a renewed sense of purpose. It may have contributed to the new plans I made, the directions I chose and pursued, perhaps with more determination than seemed likely.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>... Babylon 5 came into your life.<hr></blockquote>

Mostly, working like a one-armed paper hanger, burning the candle at both ends, and along it's whole length. As far as TV went, my not-miss TV was limited to X-Files and TNG. I also caught occasional episodes of Buffy.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I think I had something called "a life", but it's been so long I forget. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>

That's something we usually give up for money, and it's an either/or deal. You're only allowed to have one or the other, but never both.

Tough day at the office, KoshN? /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Twin Peaks, X Files, and Mastermind were my fav. TV shows. I guess Mastermind doesn't fit in this thread, but I make sure I was around to watch it so in the list it goes.
I also think I had friends back then, but I can't be sure /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Well, I didn't have a computer then, but even if I did, I wouldn't have spent infinite amounts of time at B5-related message boards. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif Currently, I go to like 14 of them, and one of them is mine. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

What did I do before I got into B5?

I did pretty much all of the same things that I do now. I'm a diehard basketball, football, and baseball fan, so I watch those every chance I get. I still go out with friends all the time, and work quite a bit. I usually come here in between shifts, days off, or nights that I don't go out. Other than that, I really don't watch more than like five shows on a regular basis.

X-Files, classic Trek and read books. Now, I watch classic Trek and read books. Oh, and Buffy and Farscape.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Tough day at the office, KoshN? /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif <hr></blockquote>

Tough 19 years at the office, especially the last 3 years.

Well for one thing I was never an obsessive person. If I missed an episode of a show it was never a big deal. Now days nobody calls me, speaks to me or does anything whatsoever during B5!
Except maybe a steamy night with Heidi Klum but Um, lets be honest the odds of that are pretty damn slim!
To think I used to rate star trek quite high on my sci-fi list!

Before B5....

I was unaware that there could be a tv-show with intelligence.
I was a lot less aware of thing around me.
I learned didn't know too much about the story structure (the beginning, the middle, the end).
I wasn't insane.

Regards,
TheInfection

I watched DS9 and thought it was the best show ever, can't stomach that ripoff these days.....
I also read a great many of those dime a dozen trek & SW novels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back