• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Ship Of Tears

Messages From Earth

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I like this ep. While I reserve A's for the heavy hitters like Z'Ha'Dum, Falling Toward Apotheosis, and The Long Twilight Struggle, this one is about as close to A as you can get. The parts with Bester are actually good, and we even get to see Bester as human. :LOL: I also like the parts with G'Kar in them. The scene where Delenn tells him the reasons for their decision not to do anything about the Shadows and the Centauri acting against the Narns is good. I also like the part in the warroom at the end where they all realize that they can use telepaths against the Shadows.

"'Some must be sacrificed if all are to be saved.'...Now I understand that is as much about how we got here, as where we are going. I think that one sentence is the greatest burden I have ever known."

That's one of the less-quoted great moments in B5.

The only problem I have with this episode is this: what are the odds that Bester's lover just happens to be on the ship?

Other than that, a truly bang-up ep. (Is this the one where G'Kar gives Ivanova the lecture on how his infinite patience has looped back on itself?)

The only problem I have with this episode is this: what are the odds that Bester's lover just happens to be on the ship?
I would say the probability was high. Mars has only got 8 times the population of Babylon 5 so there will only be a small number of teeps there. Consequently it is likely that there is only one teep prison on Mars. Bester's Psi Cop duties would cause him to visit it frequently.

The main organisation of the transportation of the teeps may occur on Earth but the movement of the prisoners from the prison to the spaceship would have to be delegated to people in the Psi building and spaceport on Mars. Bester's "contacts" then told him about this unusual operation.

Well, she is a P10, and a strong teep would be more valuable/less vulnerable. ;)

:D I really liked this episode! I can't say I was surprised Bester's lover was on that ship, :eek: more that Bester had a lover...??

I don't mean that in a mean way, but he always comes off so cold...heartless, and yet she found a way to break through that. It just set me off my pins a little to see him display that level of emotion for anyone, and to admit this vulnerability to Sheridan.

I also thought Claudia did a great job in this one. There's a rocking of Ivanova's soul whenever Bester's around, a mixture of fear and anger. I don't know what Claudia uses to invoke that kind of reaction, but it works for her every time...and for me! :D

Boxie, if you haven't read the PsiCorps Trilogy, you need to. Lots of emotion shown by Bester in Books 2 and 3, chronicling his entire life.

I confess I haven't read any of the books, but I want to! :D Maybe I'll make it my New Year's resolution! :D

I confess I haven't read any of the books, .....

You're missing a helluva lot, ...a HELLUVA LOT.

Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester

#7 The Shadow Within
The Passing of the Technomages (Del Rey trilogy)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness
I left the book series title in there because it's "Techno-Mages" in the books, but vastly prefer "Technomages." Looks less awkward.

Legions of Fire (Del Rey trilogy)
Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Book III - Out of the Darkness

#9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows

:D Thanks, KoshN...for the list, I mean! The truth is I haven't read any because I wasn't sure where to start! :( I guess those books are hard to find, huh? Well, at least I have a list to work off of....thanks again, and Happy New Year! ;)

:D Thanks, KoshN...for the list, I mean! The truth is I haven't read any because I wasn't sure where to start! :( I guess those books are hard to find, huh? Well, at least I have a list to work off of....thanks again, and Happy New Year! ;)

Here's the info. with ISBN#s. I would have made this better looking, but I'm in a rush to get to New Years dinner and my mouse is dying (Think I've worn it out. No, it's not dirty.), so nothing's cooperating.

Just read "The Shadow Within" before the Technomage trilogy.

<u>Title, Author, ISBN(s), Publish Date(s), Publisher(s)</u>

Book#7 The Shadow Within Cavelos, Jeanne 0-440-22348-2, 0-345-45218-6 April 1997, December 2002 Dell, Del Rey

Book#9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows Drennan, Kathryn M. 0-440-22354-7, 0-345-45219-4 July-1997 Dell, Del Rey

Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps Keyes, J. Gregory 0-345-42715-7 October-1998 Del Rey

Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant Keyes, J. Gregory 0-345-42716-5 March-1999 Del Rey

Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester Keyes, J. Gregory 0-345-42717-3 October-1999 Del Rey

Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime David, Peter 0-345-42718-1 December-1999 Del Rey

Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark David, Peter 0-345-42719-X May-2000 Del Rey

Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness David, Peter 0-345-42720-3 November-2000 Del Rey

The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows Cavelos, Jeanne 0-345-42721-1 March-2001 Del Rey

The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light Cavelos, Jeanne 0-345-42722-X July-2001 Del Rey

The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness Cavelos, Jeanne 0-345-43833-7 December-2001 Del Rey

Replaced the mouse with an extra I had for the notebook PC. It was the mouse.

IN ADDITIION TO THE ABOVE BOOKS THERE ARE ALSO 7 OTHERS THAT EVERYONE DOESN'T MENTION CAUSE THEY THINK THEY ARE CRAP .I WILL LIST THEM HERE AND LET YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

1 VOICES BY John Vornholt
2 ACCUSATIONS BY LIOS TILTON
3 BLOOD OATH BY John Vornholt
4 CLARKS LAW BY Jim Mortimore
5 THE TOUCH OF YOUR SHADOW THE WHISPER OF YOUR NAME BY Neil Barrett, Jr
6 BETRAYALS BY S. M. Stirling
8 PERSONAL AGENDAS BY Al Sarrantonio

The additional 7 books have also been out of print for years. The original trilogies and reprints of To Dream and Shadow are still available from Del Rey as far as I know.

THANK YOU FOR REMINDING US OF THOSE. AND WHY ARE WE TYPING IN ALL CAPS?

**Blinks**

:LOL:

Personally I've enjoyed reading almost all of the books, even the numbered ones. :)

IN ADDITIION TO THE ABOVE BOOKS THERE ARE ALSO 7 OTHERS THAT EVERYONE DOESN'T MENTION CAUSE THEY THINK THEY ARE CRAP .I WILL LIST THEM HERE AND LET YOU MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

1 VOICES BY John Vornholt
2 ACCUSATIONS BY LIOS TILTON
3 BLOOD OATH BY John Vornholt
4 CLARKS LAW BY Jim Mortimore
5 THE TOUCH OF YOUR SHADOW THE WHISPER OF YOUR NAME BY Neil Barrett, Jr
6 BETRAYALS BY S. M. Stirling
8 PERSONAL AGENDAS BY Al Sarrantonio

Geez, quit shouting.

IMHO, 1 thru 3, 6 & 8 are not crap. They are just nowhere near as good as 7, 9, and the three trilogies. The problem is, there are some mistakes, some of the situations are implausible, and/or the characterizations are off.

Book#1 "Voices" - Vornholt, John - 0-440-22057-2 - March-1995 - Dell

Book#2 "Accusations" - Tilton, Lois - 0-440-22058-0 - May-1995 - Dell

Book#3 "Blood Oath" - Vornholt, John - 0-440-22059-9 - October-1995 - Dell

Book#6 "Betrayals" - Stirling, S.M. - 0-440-22234-6 - June-1996 - Dell

Book#8 "Personal Agendas" - Sarrantonio, Al - 0-440-22351-2 - May-1997 - Dell

Also, to call 4 & 5 crap, is to insult crap, and 5 was worse than 4.

Book#4 "Clark's Law" - Mortimore, Jim - 0-440-22229-X - February-1996 - Dell

Book#5 "The Touch of Your Shadow, the Whisper of Your Name" - Barrett, Jr., Neal - 0-440-22230-3 - April-1996 - Dell

Here's three more that nobody mentioned:

"A Call to Arms" - Sheckley, Robert - 0-345-43155-3 - January-1999 - Del Rey
"In the Beginning" - David, Peter - 0-345-42452-2 - January-1998 - Del Rey
"Thirdspace" - David, Peter - 0-345-42454-9 - July-1998 - Del Rey

Of those, the Peter David books are the best. Sheckley's "A Call to Arms" while decidedly inferior to Peter David's novelizations, still did clear up some things I didn't pick up from the movie, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

The additional 7 books have also been out of print for years. The original trilogies and reprints of To Dream and Shadow are still available from Del Rey as far as I know.

I'll have to re-buy the three trilogies. Mine are getting decidedly frayed, with pages yellowing, and bits of the covers coming off. Wish they'd put them out in three hardbacks. Yeah, I know. Never going to happen.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back