• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS's new series?

Re: JMS\'s new series?

You're right, I mistyped. There's no doubt that there's a new series *in development*.

Thank you, ray of sunshine! ;-)

Jan

You're right, I mistyped. There's no doubt that there's a new series *in development*.

No, you didn't mistype. You trunkated. What you originally typed still works fine. jms is definitely involved in a new series. Thus the series exists. It might not be completed, it might not be filmed, it might not be on tv yet, but the series exists, and jms is working on it. If we want people to understand that a multitude of series get developed and barely or never shown or get cancelled mid-development, then we need to refer to series in development as still being series. And in this case, there's no doubt that there's a new series. It might never get shown, it might never get finished, but it's still there.

hey y'all, just wanted to jump in here to share something... I'm a big "Lost" fan and tried to validate the rumor of JMS being affiliated with a possible spin-off.

With the clues of ABC/Touchstone/Disney, a new series of interest to B5 fans, filming in Spring in Vancouver, I came across this casting sheet from MyEntertainmentWorld.com dated 2/6/05 which may be a possible candidate:

(Vancouver, Canada) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By Subscription.. Title: THREE MOONS OVER MILFORD, TV Series for ABC. EXEC PROD, Holly Goldberg Sloan, Gary Rosen; CO-EXEC PROD, Howard Chesley, Jon Boorstin. Shoot Dates: April, 2006 (in Vancouver, Canada). Breakdown-- Hope Coletti: A fit and fetching 35-45 years old woman. She's hard-working, disciplined and bright. The happily married mother of two teenagers, Hope finds her sedate suburban existence rudely disrupted when a meteor crashes into the moon, fragmenting it into three parts, any of which could plummet towards Earth and destroy the planet at any given moment. The strong-willed Hope is trying to pretend that nothing is amiss, but meanwhile all around her are melting down, including her scientist husband, who quits his job as the president of a huge biotech company and goes mountain climbing in Africa with no thought to the financial devastation of his family. One moment, Hope is the wealthy wife of a successful captain of industry. The next, she is virtually indigent. It doesn't help matters when her daughter Lydia, convinced she is a witch, accidentally burns down the high school while casting spells, or when her son Alex, 16, becomes romantically entangled with an older woman. The only island of sanity in Hope's life is Mack, a local attorney who offers Hope a job and some much appreciated moral support. Meanwhile, despite the threat of imminent cataclysm, Hope valiantly tries to hold her family together. Recognizable Names Only. Series Regular; Lydia Coletti: Hope's 14-16 year old daughter, a high school freshman. She's a headstrong teenager discovering the ups and downs of becoming a young woman and has gone a bit off the tracks since the lunar disaster. Lydia now fancies herself a witch - a far cry from her Methodist upbringing. Lydia gets into very hot water when she and two friends sneak into the high school to cast a few spells, and wind up accidentally burning the place to the ground. Under all the defiance, Lydia is a frightened child who is terrified that she will have to go to jail - but thanks to Mack's timely assistance, she gets community service instead. Lydia is shocked to learn that her father, the president of a nearby biotech firm, has abandoned the family, leaving them virtually indigent - and the adjustment from wealth to penury might be rougher than she realizes. Series Regular. (Posted: February 6, 2006)

If JMS wrote this I hope he checked his facts. The main chunks would have flown off or hit the Earth within a week. Everything else is in orbit. High Earth orbits take centuries to decay. There is no obvious reason for the 3 chunks to go into low Earth orbit or have an extremely eccentric orbit, such orbits can be predicted for years into the future.

hey y'all, just wanted to jump in here to share something... I'm a big "Lost" fan and tried to validate the rumor of JMS being affiliated with a possible spin-off.
That, supposedly, refers to the show that JMS has been hired as show-runner. According to the AICN poster, JMS was supposed to have turned in a script for a 'Lost' spinoff. My opinion is that it's some basement-dweller trying to start a rumor.
With the clues of ABC/Touchstone/Disney, a new series of interest to B5 fans, filming in Spring in Vancouver, I came across this casting sheet from MyEntertainmentWorld.com dated 2/6/05 which may be a possible candidate:
The clue of 'Disney's Touchstone Television' comes from JMS's December 16 post and has to do with the series that he created, NOT the one he's show-running:

It would seem that everything is now in place for the TV series that
hired me as show runner to go ahead, and I'm now starting on the first
script, which is due late January. Other writers have also been
quietly put to work. I don't want to say too much else about this
because there's still one last detail that needs to be ironed out at a
much higher level regarding the venue and the like, and I've had too
many things that were 99% go sideways at the last second for me to not
approach this like a Lucy-and-the-football situation...so we'll see,
but at the moment, things look like they're moving ahead.

As for the other series, the one I created, I can say this much now:
it's been purchased for development by Disney's Touchstone Television,
and we will be bringing it out to the networks this coming June at the
start of development season.

Emphasis mine. Personally, I don't see anything about the show described in the casting side shown that would be of interest to B5 fans or to SF fans in general as JMS was quoted as saying in a recent interview.

Jan

1. That may be the single stupidest series premise I've ever heard in my life. And yes, I remember Space: 1999, Holmes and Yo-Yo and Pink Lady & Jeff.

2. Since JMS would either be creator executive producer or producer/show runner on the series, his name would have appeared in the credits for that series. If they're casting, it wouldn't be any great secret that he was involved.

3. Andrew, trust me, nobody involved in that series has done the math about anything. It is a comedy with an SF-based premise. As far as Hollywood is concerned, that means that all obligations to fact, logic and common sense are null and void.

Conflicting reports on January 8th and 30th first indicated that the ABC broadcast network had picked the show up, then that the ABC Family cable network had. I'd bet on ABC Family, myself, since this doesn't sound like something that is going to be a huge hit with the mainstream audience. Either way, it looks like the order is for 8 episodes, the casting is firm, the producers in place, and JMS's name is absolutely nowhere to be found.

Regards,

Joe

So far my bet would be "Masters of SciFi". A) It is supposed to start filming March 2006 in Vancouver and B) it is "companion series" to "Masters of Horror".

I remember hearing of Holmes and Yo-Yo, John Schuck (Draal #2), right? A detective show with an android?

But, Pink Lady and Jeff, doesn't ring a bell at all.

3. Andrew, trust me, nobody involved in that series has done the math about anything. It is a comedy with an SF-based premise. As far as Hollywood is concerned, that means that all obligations to fact, logic and common sense are null and void.

That means bye bye to the geeks, who form the heart of the Sci-Fi fan base, and a desperate attempt to catch the soap opera fans. Soap opera fans tend to lack the imagination for Sci-Fi and like characters to be similar to people they meet in real life. Without excessive sex and violence I do not see an audience for this show.

Back