• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

AFI's 100 movie quotes

Sinclair

AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

Here's the site that talks about the criteria and stuff for their selection of the top 100 movie quotes that will be airing on CBS on Tuesday, June 21st. Further down the page is a pdf file where you can see the 400 finalists.

Any guesses on what'll be number one?

Re: AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

Really, that wasn't actually in the movie? Gulp.

I've seen Casablanca only once, and it didn't really do anything for me.

"Play it again, Sam." is up there with "Alas, poor Yoric. I knew him well." (The actual line, IIRC, in Hamlet is "Alas, poor Yoric. I knew him, Horatio.") among the most consistently misquoted lines in English language drama. (I'm not sure whether I spelled "Yoric" correctly.)

There are lines in Casablanca that are pretty close to "Play it again, Sam."; such as "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'."

Of course, I suppose that you could theoretically list "Play it again, Sam." and attribute it to one of the movies where a character said that in misquoting Casablanca. Didn't Woody Allen make a movie that was titled Play It Again Sam with a ghost-of-Bogey character?

I think, from what I remember when I happened to look at that list of 400 nominees a couple months ago, that Casablanca was the movie with the most nominees on the list.

Oh, and add:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

to my bets to finish in the top 10 or so.

Did any of you guys read the attachment on the website with the 400 nominations?

I was plesantly surprised at the wide background of quotes used. I think they have a good overall group. As always, there are some I would have liked to have seen, but they did a good job.

I liked seeing 2-3 quotes from "Airplane!" on there, as well as Caddyshack, Animal House, and Ghostbusters.

There were also a few classics like GKE listed above.

One I was really happy to see make the list was this little gem from the great movie "Swingers"

"You're so money and you don't even know it"

Make it 7 of the 400 nominees that come from Casablanca:

Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes by'.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

We'll always have Paris.

Here's looking at you, kid.

Round up the usual suspects.

Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

And still they still didn't include a couple of my favourite lines from that movie.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Your winnings, sir.

Might as well be frank, Monsieur. It would take a miracle to get you out of Casablanca.

I liked seeing 2-3 quotes from "Airplane!" on there, as well as Caddyshack, Animal House, and Ghostbusters.

Snooty lists/organisations do tend to ignore comedies, unfortunately

How could anyone ignore: "Gunga, gunga galunga, gunga gungala gulunga. Which means on my deathbed I will acheive total consciousness. So I got that going for me."

Obviously I'm doing it from memory and most likely got it wrong.

"Here's looking at you kid"

That's a very good guess and probably the one I'd have to go with as well. If it's not at the top of the list it's surely going to be in the top five.

How could anyone ignore: "Gunga, gunga galunga, gunga gungala gulunga. Which means on my deathbed I will acheive total consciousness. So I got that going for me."

Obviously I'm doing it from memory and most likely got it wrong.
Pretty damn close!

"Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. "

I can't believe that the following quote from "Sudden Impact" isn't on the list.

Harry Callahan: Listen, punk. To me you're nothin' but dogshit, you understand? And a lot of things can happen to dogshit. It can be scraped up with a shovel off the ground. It can dry up and blow away in the wind. Or it can be stepped on and squashed. So take my advice and be careful where the dog shits ya!

That's pretty obscure compared to the most obvious Dirty Harry quote:
"Ya gotta ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?"

Oh, and I can't believe no one has yet to mention "May the Force be with you"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back