• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Thor

M

Mike G

Just got back from it, curious what everyone else thought it. I really enjoyed it!

In addition to co-story credit, our very own JMS has a pretty good cameo.

Next weekend is my Little's (from the Big Brother Big Sister mentorship program) birthday, so he got to pick what we're doing and it's dinner + bowling, and as of now his film of choice is Thor. So I will actually be going to a comic book movie in the theater for the first time since I think the first Tim Burton Batman. So, there's that.

I heard it doesn't blow chunks and has Natalie Portman. I just hope it's not terribly long.

The movie almost put me to sleep. It was ok, but not great... The Stan Lee part and a lot of the dialog was was pretty funny though.

Just got back from it, curious what everyone else thought it. I really enjoyed it!

In addition to co-story credit, our very own JMS has a pretty good cameo.

Please describe the cameo. I trust that won't be too spoilerish (for others here who haven't seen it yet.). I probably won't see it 'til it's out on DVD, if at all.

The JMS cameo, minor spoiler

When the Mjolnir (the big hammer) arives on Earth, only one worthy of being Thor can pick it up. The first guy to find the hammer is JMS, who rides up in his truck and tries to pick up, but can't. Cut to the whole town of people trying to pull it out of the sand without any luck, including Stan Lee.
It's funnier then I'm making it sound.

Warning to all those who haven't seen it, and perhaps some who have... you MUST stay to the very end of the credits, to see the last bit of the film, a very important bit... :D

Okay, I liked it well enough. It's just entertainment, and I was a Thor comics fan for many years.

Warning to all those who haven't seen it, and perhaps some who have... you MUST stay to the very end of the credits, to see the last bit of the film, a very important bit... :D

Great I missed it... everybody was waiting & I figured there probably wouldn't be anything all that important. I waited until it went to the black & white credits & then got the hell out of there since my foot's all messed up and I'm in a brace. Wanted to get out before the crush, it was packed.

Demonn, look up "Thor" on wikipedia. They give a good enough description of what you missed. Of course, it won't be in 3D...

I used to read Thor comics religiously, but haven't read them in about 20 years. Notable by his absence was Thor's best bud, and brother, Balder. Does anyone have any idea why Balder wasn't in the movie?

Ok... I looked it up. Didn't miss much & it was what I thought it would be. & I look 4ward to that movie, or movies. :p

I didn't watch Thor in 3d... I couldn't bring myself to do so.

Great popcorn movie in all respects, but the 3D did not work so well for the Ice planet stuff. I think it would be better in 2D. Portman and the whole cast was ace. JMS and Stan Lee though.

Love the set design and Asgard bits, Brannagh had fun I think.

Demonn, look up "Thor" on wikipedia. They give a good enough description of what you missed. Of course, it won't be in 3D...

I used to read Thor comics religiously, but haven't read them in about 20 years. Notable by his absence was Thor's best bud, and brother, Balder. Does anyone have any idea why Balder wasn't in the movie?

Possibly because they may want to introduce him as a bigger character in a sequel that may move towards Ragnarok (Balder's death starts the cycle). It also may have something to do with the character dynamic (in terms of what each god represents).

I like Baldr... as C.S. Lewis pointed out, there's a lot of Christian parallels in the character (mythological... not marvel). A god of light who suffers death thanks to a wooden instrument, and who is thought by some scholars to be resurrected after Ragnarok when all the other gods get killed.

Am I right in thinking it's only been recently with JMS that Marvel started to make the familial ties with Thor more apparent.

Great popcorn movie in all respects, but the 3D did not work so well for the Ice planet stuff. I think it would be better in 2D. Portman and the whole cast was ace.

Strangely we had a problem in our cinema... the 3D wasn't aligned and it looked like we were watching without glasses. They had to reset the reel a few minutes in.

JMS and Stan Lee though.

I must confess I had a nerdgasm at the end of the movie... and scared the couple behind me who had no idea who JMS was.

Love the set design and Asgard bits, Brannagh had fun I think.

Asgard looked beautiful. I loved the end credit design. He certainly had a hoot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back