• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So ... any news on the release of S4 in Region 2?

Now that we have official word on the release of S5 in R1, has anyone heard anything about the possible timing of a R2 release of S4?

Haven't seen ANYTHING yet. But if WB stick to the timing of S3, S4 should come out just before S5's release in the US. In other words, March 2004??

Invest in a multi-region DVD player and put two fingers up to the WB Europe gestapo!!
That should cheer you up! :LOL:

Thank you but I already have a multi-region DVD player.

Problem is, I can't lend R1 discs to my buddies that don't have one, in a bid to get them into the show, can I?

:p

I can verify this - all R1 B5 DVD sets thus far have been region free, thus allowing you play the "R1 sets" anywhere.

-Tim

I can verify this - all R1 B5 DVD sets thus far have been region free, thus allowing you play the "R1 sets" anywhere.

-Tim

Not true I regret to say......
My multi-region player is being repaired and my new R1 S4 won't play on my R2 PC......'cause I've tried!! :mad:

Huh, I haven't tested R4 yet - only 1-3 as Tower frickin' Records says its "backordered". How can a new release be backordered!?

1-3 were multiregion, however. Sorry for any misleads!

BTW, only ordering at Tower and not through the site because of gift certificate related issues. ;-)

-Tim

Good news (for me :D)......I have worked out a way to alter the setup on my PC to play R1 discs!!!!
So I now don't care how long they take to repair my DVD player! :LOL:

Re: So ... any news on the release of S4 in Region

Unfortunately I must confirm... that some triple-damn person (or assembly thereof) *has* excluded regions 2, 3 and 5 from the disk region mask.

This leaves only 1 and 4... and confirms that the little venture of shaking apart the region code system via wider propagation of multiregion players... must continue.

Luckily my DVD drive is running modified firmware, so this does not obstruct me... but I offer my sincere condolences to anyone who might have acquired a disk set unplayable with their hardware.

If this should occur... my recommendation is getting someone to copy/recode your disks (or if possible, modify your player). Let every instance of censorship produce one instance of "extended fair use".

Well, after a lot of fighting, cursing and many teabags, all three PC's with DVD-drive are now region free, I had one, but that DVD-drive.. well, it suddenly broke, don't know why.. Was fine for a 2-3 years with rpc free firmware, then it was killed by something. Mine dvd-player that is in living room with tv and all other related things is region free already. The reason I wait for Region 2, is simple. Many of my friends do not own region free players (or actually, I'm sure that those can be modified to be rpc free but...) so if I want to go to my friend with b5 dvd's, it wouldn't do much if they were coded for region 1 players only. Anyway, I want to kick that man in the groin who invented whole region concept... then I might brake his index finger... :mad:

{snip} Anyway, I want to kick that man in the groin who invented whole region concept... then I might brake his index finger... :mad:
Instead of hitting someone just campaign for copyright law reform. Any DVD carrying region encoding that prevents it playing is automatically excluded from copyright protection. After all this is a major breach of the basic agreement between makers and audience. Once they have paid the audience is allowed to watch the show. Preventing them from playing a DVD is the equivalent of delivering short measure - normally a crime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

DVD content almost always includes a legal dsclaimer to state that the presentation should not be shown out of the country of origin. Therefore, it is not a crime to prevent citizens in the UK from watching R1 releases.

Showing publicly or renting for profit, perhaps... since that activity generates profit, which may deny profit to others. Therefore it can be regulated more strictly than personal use.

However, including limitations on watching for personal enjoyment outside the place of acquiry... is unreasonable. The copyright holder has already received their profit. They cannot expect me to pay twice.

It oversteps principles of fair use. Fair use... is designed to limit copyright. While copyright protects authors... it can be employed for the purpose of censorship (some religious sects have tried that), subversion of free competition and trade (various corporations are trying that currently) and other unacceptable behaviour.

Copyright is a beneficial thing... while limited. Exceptions exist to the usual principles of using copyrighted material for several purposes.

------

It is unimaginable that any geographic limitation (certainly not a limitation set by copyright owners) be allowed to impede fair personal use.

Obtaining license to read a book, I automatically obtain license to read it wherever I please -- unless people can prove my reading harmful. Unless I do harm, I am allowed to do whatever I please.

Obtaining license to watch a movie on Windows, I automatically obtain license to watch it on MacOS or Linux. Someone demanding the opposite to artificially bolster their profit... is making an unreasonable demand, which cannot be satisfied.

Someone demanding that I pay double, or limit my watching of movies to titles bought in only one region... is likewise making a nonsensical demand, which I simply cannot accommodate. Accommodating that demand would harm my interest, and the interest of fair competition... more than non-accommodation harms the interest of DVDCCA.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back