• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Miscellaneous Aliens

vacantlook

Super Moderator
Both the Brakiri and Vree seem to have contributed a large number of ships to Sheridan's fleet throughout the show, but two things I've always wanted (though not exactly needed) was to actually see the Brakiri ships shoot at things and to see Vree actually walking around the station. If my understanding that that alien in the courtroom in "The Quality Of Mercy" was a Vree, I've just wondered why we didn't see more Vree on the station considering how many Vree ships helped fight in the war. As for the Brakiri ships, I've always thought they looked really dang cool; they're definitely one of my favorite ship designs in the show. But I can't remember a single shot of one of them shooting at another ship but only being blown up by another ship themselves.

Another little thing (again this isn't something that is needed, but would have been nice) I have wanted was to see more of the Iksha. I always thought their ship in "Deathwalker" was really cool looking -- maybe even cool looking enough that the ship design could have been used instead for a ship of one of the First Ones because it seems so unusual for a ship. Did we ever see an Iksha walking around on the station? Or did they just become a left-out concept after the episode?

And this is just a personal aesthetic preference, but I think the stone face and fire image that the Walkers of Sigma 957 used to communicate with Ivanova and Marcus would have fit better with the look of this First One ship:

first-1.jpg

A question for discussion: Are there any "background" aliens that you would like to have seen more of?

The Markabs were kinda cool till they got killed off. :LOL:

I liked the Hyach. Even though they killed off the other race that lived on their world, I enjoy watching that season 5 ep Secrets of the Soul where Dr. Franklin has extensive discussions with their ambassador Tal and her aide.

VacantLook, really good observations. I've thought some of the same things. We also see alot of Pak'ma'ra, Gaim, Hyach, and Llort, but we see very little, if any, of those races' ships. I think we get a brief glimpse of a Pak'ma'ra transport in one episode, but it actually looked quite a lot like a modified Drazi Sunhawk. I think I read somewhere that Pak'ma'ra got quite a bit of tech from Drazi, so their styles are probably similar.

I don't know how canon it all is, but I've read some information on websites that say Brakiri capital ships may be large and aesthetically pleasing but not very powerful at all. Supposedly, the Brakiri are very capitalistic, and their ships are built mostly for trade and transport but are built the way they are to impress and intimidate. I guess you could say their ships are multi-purpose and very limited for the purpose of war.

(I could have worded all that better, but I just woke up; vocabulary & grammar not quite kicked in yet.)

I think we get a brief glimpse of a Pak'ma'ra transport in one episode, but it actually looked quite a lot like a modified Drazi Sunhawk. I think I read somewhere that Pak'ma'ra got quite a bit of tech from Drazi, so their styles are probably similar.

Yeah, I remember that scene and wondered why the Pak'ma'ra ship looked so much like a Drazi ship, but I think also read somewhere, though I don't remember where, that much of their tech came from acquiring it from the Drazi instead of building it themselves.

I think we get a brief glimpse of a Pak'ma'ra transport in one episode, but it actually looked quite a lot like a modified Drazi Sunhawk. I think I read somewhere that Pak'ma'ra got quite a bit of tech from Drazi, so their styles are probably similar.

I remember that scene, and when I watch it, I have to remind myself that the Drazi are not there too. :LOL:

What was the name of the aliens that looked like a fish (they had a sort of fin on their head)) in the War Prayer? They looked neat.

I've always thought about it like car manufacturers... many mass transit companies here in the US buy from Japanese companies because, frankly, they're better than the US made ones. The Vree-designed ships may be used by the Llort, and the Drazi, who are great fighters, may sell ships to the Pak'Ma'Ra.

Japanese, German, and U.S. autos dominate most markets, although I've always had a soft spot for UK and Italian automobiles. :)

Mr. Burns: "Here's the new Packard we've heard so much about!"

-Tim

...I've always had a soft spot for UK and Italian automobiles. :)
You sound like a friend of mine who argues it is a waste of money to buy a car from any company whose name ends in a consonant! :LOL:

[quote You sound like a friend of mine who argues it is a waste of money to buy a car from] any company whose name ends in a consonant! :LOL:

[/quote]

Hmm, that rules out Peugeot, Renault, Fiat, Seat, Volkswagon, Aston Martin, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes just to name a few

Honda, Hyundai and Daewoo are OK though? :LOL:

Another background race I would like to have seen pop up again are the Streib. I thought their ship looked pretty cool and would like to have seen a bit more of them.

strecrui.jpg

Ok, so is the alien that's being accused of having a grandfather that abducted the grandfather of the human guy in the court in season one's "The Quality Of Mercy" a Vree or a Streib? I assumed a Vree since the typical ship associated with abductions from Earth are saucer shape and the Vree ships are of such shape. But the Streib that walks past Sheridan and Ta'Lon looks like the alien in "The Quality Of Mercy." Or do the Vree and Streib just look very similar? Or are they're really no real answers?

Okay Kaleb, I give up - what is your Avatar picture of? I can't make it out!

-Tim

B5: Legend of the rangers. You know, in the end when they kinda cheat that "THE HAND!!!" ship.. Well anyway, that is a face of that ambassodr when his rescue pod is opened inside that ship. Hope you understand what I'm talking about. :LOL:

According the Lurker's Guide the Streibs and Vree were very closely related but not actually the same species (different colored eyes, I believe), apparently with similar practices.

Also in the Babylon 5 Security Manual (not cannon, I know, but amusing), the Vree have banned the sale of all X-Files products on the grounds that they are "offensively truthful."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back