• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

Okay, that's it. You people have *got* to quit referring to me as 'he'.

To be fair, in this particular case he was replying to my response, which didn't have your handle attached to the quote. He might just have lost track of who posted the original comment ....

and then fallen back on the old "male form when not sure" rule. :devil: ;) :D

I used to use "guys" as a gender neutral term as well, but after some female friends complained I switched to "How are you doing, guys and guyettes!"

It gets a laugh instead of a snarl. I also do "Yo amigos and amigoettes" which is even sillier.

Why I felt compelled to post this, I don't know... more filled until *actual* news. All the linguistic talk is taking me back to college and Chompsky on grammar.

"An anaphor is bound in its governing category."

Ugh.

-Tim

Okay, that's it. You people have *got* to quit referring to me as 'he'.

To be fair, in this particular case he was replying to my response, which didn't have your handle attached to the quote. He might just have lost track of who posted the original comment ....

and then fallen back on the old "male form when not sure" rule. :devil: ;) :D

Yup, that's it: really sorry to have caused offence!!! :eek:

Most BB's I go to show you the whole thread, or at least a few posts, and I always get caught out here when trying to reply to multiple threads at once.

My bad. :(

Won't happen again miss! ;)

VB

A fair number of Scots Gaelic speakers prnounce it "gallic", but it's stil Gaelic.

Correct.

The Gaelic language, as it exists in Scotland, isn't any more native than Scots (derived from Northumbrian OE) or Scottish Standard English (hybrid of the derivations of Nortumbrian and Mercian OE) as it came from Ireland.

And also correct. In fact, Irish and Scots Gaelic are _very_ close, with a few notable exceptions of pronunciation and tradition - e.g. when drinking, in Ireland you raise your glass and say "Slainte!" (Health!) but in Scotland, it's "Slainte mhaith!" (Good health!). The closeness of the languages is due to the fact that they only split a few hundred years ago.

Aisling

... as I am sure will my Scottish buddy who recently took me to task for daring to suggest that Scots spoke Gaelic!!

Well, as someone else pointed out already (Vonbloodbath, I think), it's a pronunciation issue. But it is indeed _Gaelic_ that they are speaking in some areas of Scotland.

There's good information regarding the history of the language at:

http://www.gaelic-scotland.co.uk/History.html
and
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/beurla/

And in both places, you are invited to read either in English, or in Gaelic. That alone is proof enough that they are speaking _Gaelic_ in Scotland! :)

Aisling

Won't happen again miss

s'okay ::hugs::

Has anybody else heard about this death spiral Enterprise is in? Huzzah!

Poor Star Trek. I'd like to say it's not their fault they suck so much but that's what happens when you won't drive the frelling car.

much love
-Elle

Has anybody else heard about this death spiral Enterprise is in? Huzzah!

Poor Star Trek. I'd like to say it's not their fault they suck so much but that's what happens when you won't drive the frelling car.

Yes, Trek's been in a spiraling decline ever since Rick Berman took over, it's only now that Paramount has finally started to notice. Guess someone in the money department tapped them on their little shoulders and got them to get their collective asses out of the Viacom sand and realize, "Hey, our cash cow is skin and bones! Who's been feeding her?! RIIIIIIIIIIICK! GET IN HERE!"

:D
CE

I'll attempt to get this back on topic... kind of.

First off, my favorite Bab-5 moments where characters are "off-topic" are Sheridan and Garibaldi in the bathroom in Divided Loyalties talking about trees... when the Pak'Ma'Ra comes out of the methane toilet and "shudders."

That and Londo waxing intellectual on "Rebo and Zooty" and "Country and Western."

As for semantics, I believe "Sroq!" and "Fa!" mean "Love" and "Peace".

-Tim

I had a friend named Ray in high school who used to sing that as:

Doe: a deer, a female deer
Ray: a name I call myself ....

I had a friend named Ray in high school who used to sing that as:

Doe: a deer, a female deer
Ray: a name I call myself ....

Was he "family?" I mean anyone who sang musicals and tied himself into them.... :LOL:

Oh and by the way folks, on a side note here, over at the JMSNews.com forums I've started an unscientific poll on the new project in order to kill some time and see how right we all are when word finally comes. Head on over there and vote away. I would do it here, too, but that's just too many places to keep up with the numbers :p

It's in the Discussions -- Babylon 5 forum, and is called "A 'What will it be?' poll"

Please go vote...I'll be keeping up with the figures!

CE :D

Na'Toth: Ambassador, it is not for me to speculate about how anything gets into your bed.

(From memory, phrasing might be off.)

Vir asking Ivanova for advise about women.

Delenn asking Ivanova about hair care; and later about cramps.

Worst case of testosterone poisoning I've ever seen.

Back