• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ulkesh

As I just said on rastb5m, Being from the US, I thought it was one of his strong points. Right out of the gate, Galen was my favorite Crusade character, partly for his accent and clear enunciation, the antithesis of a "mushmouth[1]." It's a case of UK ears vs. US ears, I guess. :confused:

Probably. To my ear, it was overdone.

I guess you don't have your book with you? [Mock Outrage] Shame! Shame on you! <wags his finger at Demon> [/Mock Outrage] ;)

The book is upstairs by the side of the bed, I'm downstairs and too damned lazy to go up and get it :LOL:

Otherwise, you'd just take the book out and see where your bookmark was, and tell me the page number. I was just trying to avoid telling you any spoilers from pages you haven't read yet. :)

Well, last night in bed, the bit I read covered the scene from the start of 'In The Beginning'. It didn't ring ture to me. Where did the children come from? there was no mention of children before then. I think a little more effort could have been made to set up the backstory for their presence.

I take the book I'm currently reading, with me, virtually everywhere. That way, if I'm ever stuck waiting for something or someone, I can get a few pages read. If I'm close to the end of the book, I bring the current book, and the next one with me. (I absolutely CANNOT TOLERATE being somewhere without anything to do. Like Sheridan, my head would explode. If I'm awake, I'm doing something.

Sometimes I just like to sit and think. Sometimes I like to just sit :D

As I just said on rastb5m, Being from the US, I thought it was one of his strong points. Right out of the gate, Galen was my favorite Crusade character, partly for his accent and clear enunciation, the antithesis of a "mushmouth[1]." It's a case of UK ears vs. US ears, I guess. :confused:

Probably. To my ear, it was overdone.
I guess it's supposed to be very well enunciated given that self-control is an important part of his character. About on par with Edmund Blackadder I think (incidentally Rowan Atkinson took elocution lessons because he had a stammer or something like that).

I am also from the UK, and I loved Galen and his diction - just a sucker for the Shakespearean approach to delivering dialogue I guess.

It always seeemed to me that part of Galen's delivery was about maintaining the "presence" and "gravitas" that the technomages wanted to put across to others, kind of ...

"Me technomage, you intimidated"

It also seems a shame that someone can't enunciate correctly on TV without being called a fake.

:rolleyes:

It also seems a shame that someone can't enunciate correctly on TV without being called a fake.

There's a difference between clear enunciation and pomposity.

Peter's father, Edward Woodward, gives a wonderful example of the former in his portrayal of Alwyn. Peter Woodward, in my view, consistently went over the top in his delivery, going straight through intimidating, and ending up in extremely irritating.

Patrick Stewart is another fine example of a classical actor who enunciates beautifully without becoming annoying by the constant over-emphasis of rounded vowels.

For me, Edward Woodward and Patrick Stewart are good actors; Peter Woodward is not.

But that's a matter of taste, so I won't roll my eyes at your contrary opinion.

There's a difference between clear enunciation and pomposity.

Peter's father, Edward Woodward, gives a wonderful example of the former in his portrayal of Alwyn. Peter Woodward, in my view, consistently went over the top in his delivery, going straight through intimidating, and ending up in extremely irritating.

Patrick Stewart is another fine example of a classical actor who enunciates beautifully without becoming annoying by the constant over-emphasis of rounded vowels.

For me, Edward Woodward and Patrick Stewart are good actors; Peter Woodward is not.

How much of that (the overemphasis and intensity in Peter Woodward's "Galen") was Galen as JMS wanted? Remember, this is how JMS casts, for the actor to be the character, e.g. "Jerry Doyle was Garibaldi." Maybe that's exactly how JMS wanted the character to behave, and you dislike the character for those reasons. If that's the case, you can't fault Peter Woodward for delivering that character.

Actually, if you read the Technomage trilogy, and see what Galen had to go through (especially with "The Circle" and one particular pain-in-the-ass member of "The Circle" whose name begins with a "H"), you might begin to appreciate the Galen we see in Crusade. So, read the books. ;) When you have questions, you know where to find me. Heck, you even have my snail mail address. ;)

Just to add my 2 cents, I always thought the technomages were supposed to come off as a bit pompous. If you were a member of the most punk rock, hard core group of younger beings in the galaxy, I think it might go to your head too.

I really enjoyed Galen's arrogance... such as his calling Gideon "Matthew" and Eilerson "Maximillian". I think it was 100% intentional on JMS's part!

Don't forget (very very minor spoilers for the books) that Galen was trained by Elric, one of the more traditional, conservative technomages... somewhat pompous and "old school." Alwyn (almost typed Arwyn, lol) was more of a renegade jokester... as technomages went.

-Tim

Don't forget (very very minor spoilers for the books) that Galen was trained by Elric, one of the more traditional, conservative technomages... somewhat pompous and "old school." Alwyn (almost typed Arwyn, lol) was more of a renegade jokester... as technomages went.

I guess I prefer the renegade to the arrogant ass :p

Actually, if you read the Technomage trilogy, and see what Galen had to go through (especially with "The Circle" and one particular pain-in-the-ass member of "The Circle" whose name begins with a "H"), you might begin to appreciate the Galen we see in Crusade. So, read the books. ;) When you have questions, you know where to find me. Heck, you even have my snail mail address. ;)

OK, OK! I'll read them! :LOL:

I guess I prefer the renegade to the arrogant ass :p

Actually, Alwyn was more of a boisterous carouser and drinker, with a quick temper. By the time we see him in Crusade, he'd mellowed with age.

Galen an arrogant ass? Naaah, you're being far too hard on him.

What did you think of Elric in The Geometry of Shadows?

I can't wait to see what you think of Herazade. :devil: ..and Elizar. (No spoilers, people!).

Actually, Alwyn was more of a boisterous carouser and drinker, with a quick temper. By the time we see him in Crusade, he'd mellowed with age.

My kind of guy :D

Galen an arrogant ass? Naaah, you're being far too hard on him.

Probably. I told you he annoyed me :p

What did you think of Elric in The Geometry of Shadows?

Pompous :)

I can't wait to see what you think of Herazade. :devil: ..and Elizar. (No spoilers, people!).

Guess I'll have to order the books soon :LOL:

Agree that Galen comes off as pompous, and agree that that is exactly the way he should have been portrayed. He wasn't supposed to be likable, at least at first. He had been hurt too badly, and carried too big a burden, to relate well to others. In fact, from the "this is my family" plot developments, it seemed clear to me that, like many JMS charactors, he was to start as a non-fan-favorite and then become more likeable over time.

Elizar was the sweetest, most lovable character in the B5 universe. So soft, cuddling, with a great sense of humour!

<holding in laughter>

-Tim

Elizar was the sweetest, most lovable character in the B5 universe. So soft, cuddling, with a great sense of humour!

<holding in laughter>

-Tim

In that case, you'd probably want to date Razeel. :eek:

Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon "Nature's Way of Saying DANGER." (or something like that)

Back